Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Relocating from Aus to Nz

Relocating from Aus to Nz

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 8:56 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating from Aus to Nz

I have lived in both :-)
They are completely different, especially outside of Auckland.
From my perspective:
NZ : laid back, far-flung, island time sort of vibe (caveat: parochial & insular); an 'easy' life with little bureaucracy (caveat: frustrating work place "we do it this way" culture); a manageable climate (caveat: microwave sun; freezing homes in winter); friendly people (caveat: helps to be white); positive impact of stronger adoption of bicultural values than Australia (putting it mildly). However, it can be a tough place to keep your head above water on middle and lower incomes and unless you have healthy double household income then trips overseas may be impossible. It can feel a very very very long way from anywhere (good/ bad). "everyday encounters" with exciting wildlife are few and far between and the attitude to introduced species takes a bit of getting used to. Just feels 'safe' (can feel claustrophobic).
Oz : baking hot (good / bad); fantastic wildlife that you can experience as part of 'everyday life' - eg yesterday I was watching Blue Planet 2 and it made me smile that they showed the dolphins surfing the waves cos I can literally watch that at least weekly while enjoying a nice coffee; such a massive and diverse continent - could easily spend a lifetime exploring Australia - don't understand when poeple comment it's unchanging as they can't have ever been to the red centre or to the Queensland rainforests or south coast NSW or Margaret River ... ; feels more vibrant and connected to the world (caveat: overrun with ute-driving bogans - much like NZ but they have newer utes and more arrogance and bling). Absolutely despicable government, shameful. Great universities and a loan system that won't have your kids hate you in the future.