Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Registration with the PGDB

Registration with the PGDB

Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Delilah63 is just really niceDelilah63 is just really niceDelilah63 is just really niceDelilah63 is just really niceDelilah63 is just really niceDelilah63 is just really niceDelilah63 is just really niceDelilah63 is just really nice
Default Registration with the PGDB

Its a while since we have been on the forum and we are enjoying being in Wellington.
I am trying to find out if anyone has actually done the registration practical exam for obtaining full registration as a plumber in NZ. I am working at the minute as a plumber/gasfitter/drainlayer and want to obtain full reg in at least one of these trades. All of the Weltec courses seem to be aimed at people wanting to be plumbers for the first time and this is not what I require
If you have done the practical exam please contact me as the PGDB is a bit evasive on giving out info.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:07 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registration with the PGDB

You need BEVS, she has been there, done that, well her husband has. If you use the search forum facility for PGDB her very informative posts will appear.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all

Well, actually Bevs and hubby got here before the new system got in place.
And then she was instrumental in our moving over so I will jump in and give you my experience with this new system.

Well, actually it's the husband who is a plumber, gasfitter and drainlayer so I will give you his story.
Forget drainlaying. You can't bring an overseas drainlaying qualification to NZ. At all. From anywhere. They only recognize their own home trained drainlayers (maybe australia because of the reciprocal system).
If you want to be a drainlayer, you must take an 18month course from a polytech. Costs couple thousand $$. Some offer it by distance learning but must attend several week block courses on campus.

Gasfitting and plumbing work the same for overseas qualified. If you are here and working on a limited license then you were approved by the IQAS system (immigrant qualification assessment system). Getting assessed by them and given a limited license (oh, I know named changed April 1 but forgot new name) is just the first step.

Next, you pay $3500 and register for the practical (hands on) IQAS test. These are given only in Wellington at the Petone campus and only once or twice a year so contact the PGDB to get dates to register etc. My husband took his last year about this time (March or April). It was a one week long test where he was to assemble some kind of plumbing system. It was graded pass/fail. If you pass, you are allowed to sit the apprentice plumbing registration exam.
When you pass this exam, you are a full fledged licensed registered plumber.

If you want to start your own business, you will need to sit 2 more examinations (business common and craftsman exam) but you must wait 1 year before you can take these exams (and that is one year from the date they graded your registration exam so really 18 months). You will need to wait 2 full years before you can become a full fledged registered craftsman plumber.

If you want to get your gasfitting qualification, you must do the whole process over again for gasfitting. Pay $3500, spend a week taking the hands on examination (but for gas this time), sit the exam etc etc.

Of course, since they only do the IQAS occasionally (maybe twice a year)--you will have to schedule them separately. And it may take you a while to finish it all.

It's a real pain that there is no separate process for the overseas trained plumber/gasfitter. You basically just start out as an end of year 3 apprentice here--even if you are a 20 year experienced craftsman in your home country.

Bureaucracy!! What can you do??
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all

The good news is that you live in Wellington and won't be forced to shell out another $1000 for hotels like we did.

And I just looked at the PGDB site and it now says you can take either the written exam or practical exam in either order. That is easier.

We were forced to waste a lot of time because he had to take the practical (and pass it) before they would send him an approval to take the written exam.

Husband had no problems with the practical test (of course, cause he is an excellent plumber ) but found the written test a complete joke. Failed it by 1 point the first time (they lost it so could not be rescored!!!) and then passed it the second time.
It is a SILLY test as it has questions like "fill in the blank the name of the building code chapter" Seriously, that is a ridiculous question considering on the job, you will have the code right there!! I don't see how regurgitating the name of the chapter ensures you are a competent plumber??

Good luck muddling through the hoops!!

And BTW, the examination officer at the PGDB is named Jose and he is really nice and helpful if you call!!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

And "Hi" to Bevs!!! Without your help, we would have never made it here!! Thanks again!!!

BTW, We are still here, got all our paperwork worked out and still loving NZ!!
The bureaucracy is but we love the rest!!!

We are just counting down the days until hubby can take his craftsman.

And got to mention--so excited about the new "continuing education" money grab coming down from the PGDB!