Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reflections of 2006...........

Reflections of 2006...........

Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reflections of 2006...........

Reflections of 2006

So…………

What were the high points and the low points as far as 2006 were concerned?

What were the good parts and the not so good parts?

What were the successes and what were the failures?

What did you learn and what would you rather forget?

How did you become a better person and, perhaps, how did you become someone you would rather not be?

Buggered if I know!
Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:12 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reflections of 2006...........

Mourning a great man right now... James Brown died early this morning (Christmas Day) in the US, at 1.45 am eastern time. Met him in 1995 and saw him in concert. Hubby's band warmed up for his former sax player, Maceo Parker, in France, at the Cahors Blues Fest.

Aaaaaah good times.

I'll (probably ) think of more later.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:07 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Too early for me this. My brain will kick start in about 2 hours time. I will re-visit this then

What was the question again?
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:59 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

High: My second daughter was born, we got the ball rolling to go live in NZ

Low: Dad died, he didnt leave a will, I am the administrator and all the shit that goes with it.

Learned: People show their true colours when someone dies and they arent all they are cracked up today.

You cant have your own way all the time.

Forget: there was something, but I have forgotten it.

How did you become a better person and, perhaps, how did you become someone you would rather not be?

I stood up to the family for me and bro - lost a few friends, but did what I knew was right for us and to secure our futures.
I also became obsessed with 'what's rightfully ours' and didnt like that side of me at all. I realise now it was just me trying to hold onto every last scrap of memory of my Dad.

The sense that you cant live someone else's life is so much stronger now and gives me the drive and motivation to do something with my life.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Reflections of 2006

So…………

Buggered if I know!
Good questions Nice Guy,
high points had to be getting the phone call to say our EOI was first out of pool and that our ITA went through in 2 weeks. Low point was definitely the realization that we are leaving our families behind.

Good points were finding (or being recommended, thanks Mel via Winnie) this site and in particular Poppets, Karonious and StevieB and Am Loolah among others.

Amazingly I realised, on leaving my job, that I wasn't happy there. I was a Ward Manager and only took the job because it fit in with family life, but I'm so looking forward to going back to proper nursing. Also I have always said that I would be a crap full time mum but having not worked since November and having spent loads of time with my kids, I'm actually pretty good at it!!! My daughter has stopped calling me "stressed out mum" so that tells you loads.

I don't believe in forgetting anything and I think you can learn from any situation you have been in but I have learnt who my real friends are, who I want to keep in touch with and who is important to me.

OK going to stop drinking now and eat my dinner and go out with my husband to his friends, even though I said I wasn't!! Oh, yes and then drink some more - maybe shouldn't drink at all - give far too much away,
Donna

Last edited by danny.f; Dec 26th 2006 at 5:33 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reflections of 2006...........

High point - being asked to be a moderator on British Expats.

There were no low points.

Buzzy
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reflections of 2006...........

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
High point - being asked to be a moderator on British Expats.

There were no low points.

Buzzy
Conversely a low point for me as I have never been asked..............
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:57 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

My family had a roof over our heads (humble though it is) and our stomachs were filled with tasty healthy food -- so all in, okay. No big t'ing, mon.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 7:58 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Good points were finding (or being recommended, thanks Mel via Winnie) this site and in particular Poppets, Karonious and StevieB and Am Loolah among others.

I was so touched to read this Donna, thank-you. I sincerely feel very honoured and gratified.

For myself, It has been an incredible year. This time last year I kept telling myself that I really would get round to filling in the paperwork to get my nursing registration recognised in NZ. Finally got round to it in March, got it OK'd in May, EOI in July, started work in Oct. Wow, when I finally get round to it, there is no messing!
We have planned this for years in a half arsed 'one day' way and the feeling of achievement having finally got our act together is at times overwhelming. If you have read my blog, the 'we live here' post sums it up. Although we have no intention of ever going back to the UK, at least we can go back because we got away in the first place. We would be able to say ' at least we tried it', not sit there regretting the missed oppurtunity when we were old and grey.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

The Highlight was definitely the birth of my daughter in september, her smile makes every moment worthwhile, especially the way she smiles at her brothers.

Low points, have let them go, no point dwelling...

Things to look forward to, starting a new adventure, a new chapter in our lives...
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Tis a great thread this.
Highs-same as Don,knowing our lives are going to change big time. Knowing my liver can take a bit more punishment. Celtic winning the league and Man U didn't. Kids continue and develop into superb people.Simon Cowell's trooooosers,saying goodbye to work,saying hello to all of you.

Lows. My dad dying. Knowing our lives are going to change big time. Saying goodbye to friends and family,not having a house anymore,packing,shipping,etc.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:01 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Reflections of 2006

So…………

Buggered if I know!
High points were visiting New Zealand and meeting Hubby's family and agreeing that we wanted to make the move. Getting the kids' NZ passports back. Low point, constantly having to shift timescales as it all takes longer than you think it will!
Good points, one of them finding this site and making new cyber friends - who we would hope we might meet up with when we get there?! Bad points - losing friends here who are unsupportive and ununderstanding!
Success - me, hubby and kids have a great little family and we love "Us!" Failure; our life here. We've tried and run out of motivation for here.
Learnt I can be a nasty, devil tongued cow when I want to be - or when drunk. But then, so can everyone! Rather forget? When that has happened!!
I've bettered myself by being more patient, and accepting that I can't change things or people. I accept ME!!! I like me!!! I'm too old to change ... this is ME!!! And I think I'm ok!!!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:21 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

oooo gosh - its all been so nice this year.
My lovely DH being stress free - this is the best gift I could ever have.
Getting mum and dads house done in one of our fields and them coming to live in it for 2 months. The donkeys arriving ( sad but true! )

Lows - sort of! My brother got engaged - which is lovely and is a high! - but I have never even met his new fiancee - the first time I meet her will be at the wedding next year! Just reminds me how far away he is

but Im not complaining - I just want him to be a happy bunny!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 3:58 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

The high point ... finally owning our own piece of nz

Low points I won't go into but am recovering slowly
First glimpse of Canterbury wow

It's a lovely country but don't know if I'll stay

Last edited by sky; Dec 28th 2006 at 4:01 am.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

High points.... ermm... selling my house so easy in the UK and getting 3 dollars to the pound! Buying our old villa here in Beachlands..... I couldnt have sold at a better time! Also, getting pregnant was pretty amazing and mind-blowing... finding out its a girl pretty cool too!! Best part of the year was seeing my parents again back in February.

Low points.... definately the lowest was saying goodbye to mum and dad yet again... I swear it gets worse! Horrible horrible.

Cant think of any other really horrible bits.

I learnt that having one child is bad enough.... 2 is gonna drive me totally bonkers!! I'm not a very patient person so maybe that should be a NY Resolution for me... to be more patient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.