Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Red Cross EQ appeal.

Red Cross EQ appeal.

Old Dec 5th 2016, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Red Cross EQ appeal.

Not sure I understand the above. Why would the recent EQ be a charity case? We are a 1st world country and everything that was damaged in the EQ will be covered by insurance. If you chose not to have home, building or any other type of business insurance that protects you against this sort of event, well you made the choice not to have insurance.

We all pay an EQ levy on our household insurance. ACC will cover all the injuries and the government was banging on about a surplus just afore the quake why not put that money into the EQ coffers rather than the RC start an appeal?

I have donated to a number of disasters in my time but only ever to 3rd world countries that cannot avail themselves to everything we can.

It irks me that there is not the 'written in stone assumption' guaranteeing that the insurance companies (who are very, very happy to take our premiums and wriggle out of any claim on any technicality) and or central government will meet the cost of totally everything, bar those who chose not to have insurance for whatever reason that may be. I was told once "If you can't fully insure your car, boat, house, contents therein and business you may have don't buy/get into any of the aforementioned until you can". Sage words indeed.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Cross EQ appeal.

The Red Cross are more about helping and providing hands on social support and counselling for people in need rather than replacing damaged property; they deliver care packages to remote people, mobilised support teams to visit elderly people and assist with transport to hospital and visit schools such like and provide grants to those (particularly renters) who need a place to go whilst repairs are carried out, or need financial assistance moving house and storing their property in the interim.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it makes people feel like they're helping. I dunno really ... the cynical me would perhaps think that these charities just do this to increase their reason to be and pay their own wages. A lot of good people work for these charities so I'm appalled at myself for even letting that thought cross my mind but it's just in my make up.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Most charities are just businesses nowadays.
Extremely well paid CEO's and well paid professional fundraisers.

Oh I suppose some of them do some good work.