Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for accomodation for a month ???

Recommendations for accomodation for a month ???

Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommendations for accomodation for a month ???

Hi all

Well house is on the market as of yesterday and already have 2 viewings booked for this week!!!! Houses normally sell within weeks round here now due to redevelopment in the area! So now we're panicking and looking for accomodation but there is so much to choose from!!!

We're heading to Auckland/Wellington (TBC yet) and just want to know whats the best type of accomodation to look for. Hotels, motels, self contained apartments etc etc ....

Any personal recommendations gratefully recieved !!!

Michelle & Carl

Edited to change my pathetic spelling ha

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Nov 15th 2006 at 11:22 am.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Goldberry will become famous soon enoughGoldberry will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recommendations for accomodation for a month ???

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
We're heading to Auckland/Wellington (TBC yet) and just want to know whats the best type of accomodation to look for. Hotels, motels, self contained apartments etc etc ....
Hi Michelle,
it's quite exciting to see the steps that take you closer to NZ.
Well, you know I'm information-crazy.... I've read it would be good to seek accomodation in a holiday home. Of course, I don't know if this is the right time of year to do so (cheaply).

Please do not stop reporting when you have arrived in NZ! Meanwhile, all the best for a smooth sale of your house.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:22 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
....Any personal recommendations gratefully recieved !!!
first question - what personal effects will you have to hand whilst this is going on? Will your stuff be going into storage/onto a container/into your car,van,etc? Where are you - certainly this time of year (exept XMas) in the UK is the low low season for holiday cottage lets so there should be some bargains. Hotels/serviced apartments vary in quality and cost - I used a service apartment in London (part of Accor chain I recall) and that was OK although I got a parking ticket when parked in their space....grrr.....
Let us know more about where you need to stay and what you need in terms of storage/facilities and someone will answer!!
LL
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Oops!

I meant to state that we'll need somewhere to stay in Auckland - we are planning on going in late January/February so we're going to hang on for completion of our house until then. I have accomodation here (UK) sorted out until we can fly!

Our stuff is going into storage here then once we have a job offer (we're coming over on visitors visa) and lodged our EOI, we will send for our stuff but may still need to rent a furnished apartment/place until we can find a decent 'home' rental or find a house to buy!

I was looking at some pics of apartments on the Auckland harbour today - they look amazing! WOW - can't wait to sell up and go now!

Hope someone can personally recommend a lovely family place (2 adults and 3 children - 9 yrs, 2 yrs and 1 yr old)

Michelle & Carl
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
first question - what personal effects will you have to hand whilst this is going on? Will your stuff be going into storage/onto a container/into your car,van,etc? Where are you - certainly this time of year (exept XMas) in the UK is the low low season for holiday cottage lets so there should be some bargains. Hotels/serviced apartments vary in quality and cost - I used a service apartment in London (part of Accor chain I recall) and that was OK although I got a parking ticket when parked in their space....grrr.....
Let us know more about where you need to stay and what you need in terms of storage/facilities and someone will answer!!
LL
I thought they were asking about accommodation in NZ - am I wrong?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops!

I meant to state that we'll need somewhere to stay in Auckland

Michelle & Carl
You did. I got it anyway!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:56 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Oops!

I meant to state that we'll need somewhere to stay in Auckland - we are planning on going in late January/February so we're going to hang on for completion of our house until then. I have accomodation here (UK) sorted out until we can fly!

Our stuff is going into storage here then once we have a job offer (we're coming over on visitors visa) and lodged our EOI, we will send for our stuff but may still need to rent a furnished apartment/place until we can find a decent 'home' rental or find a house to buy!

I was looking at some pics of apartments on the Auckland harbour today - they look amazing! WOW - can't wait to sell up and go now!

Hope someone can personally recommend a lovely family place (2 adults and 3 children - 9 yrs, 2 yrs and 1 yr old)

Michelle & Carl
Can I also add to that somewhere for where one bloke (me) could stay for a few weeks whilst finding a rental home before wife and pets fly out. My flight is booked for 19th Feb, so i'm traveling light and don't mind roughing it, so long as it is cheap.

Adie
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Oops!

Michelle & Carl

Hiya, do you want to stay in CBD? Will you have a car? I know of a couple of nice places on North Shore I can get you details for. We stayed at a holiday park when we got here which was quite nice, not in the greatest of areas, I mean in terms of scenery not that it is in a crime infested area! But it is handy for the city, beaches etc. I can find out more if you let me know whether you dont mind staying outside the city.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:22 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Oops!
Michelle & Carl
soz - was in my pedantic/analytical mode - just needed a massage from the missus before I came down to earth again....(this back pain is a real "pain").
we (2 adults and 5yrs/15month old) will be doing the same in early Jan and Jude's suggestion seems pretty handy for the areas we are looking to live in (North Shore). Maybe you'll get the same room/holiday home/shed .... ?? Who knows ?
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Oops!

Michelle & Carl
Don't get too excited about the appartments on the harbour most of them are as big as a shoe box!!!!!
Plenty of ameriacan style motels to chose from, but may be a bit tight with a family for the long term. Even though many I am sure will negotiate longish term rental prices. Before you you jump have you looked at the amount of funished places to rent? I believe they are few are far between.
Sorry don't want to sound negative but don't want you to get here and be in a pickle!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jude J
Hiya, do you want to stay in CBD? Will you have a car? I know of a couple of nice places on North Shore I can get you details for. We stayed at a holiday park! But it is handy for the city, beaches etc. I can find out more if you let me know whether you dont mind staying outside the city.
Hey Jude ( lalala)

That would be fantastic if you could do this for us! We don't mind staying outside of the city just as long as hubby can get into it by local transport until we find a car - we won't be bringing ours now Holiday park sounds great especially for the kids, any of those will do!

Thankyou so much for your generosity! I hope I can return it one day (case of Marmite in my container ????? ) LOL

Michelle & Carl
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
soz - was in my pedantic/analytical mode - just needed a massage from the missus before I came down to earth again....(this back pain is a real "pain").
we (2 adults and 5yrs/15month old) will be doing the same in early Jan and Jude's suggestion seems pretty handy for the areas we are looking to live in (North Shore). Maybe you'll get the same room/holiday home/shed .... ?? Who knows ?
Not a prob I've done that too!

Hope everything goes to plan for you in Jan - only a few weeks left for you now! Yay! Maybe we will end up staying in the same place/area ?!

Should arrange a meet up as it seems a few of us are going soon after crimbo !!!

Michelle & Carl
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Don't get too excited about the appartments on the harbour most of them are as big as a shoe box!!!!!
Plenty of ameriacan style motels to chose from, but may be a bit tight with a family for the long term. Even though many I am sure will negotiate longish term rental prices. Before you you jump have you looked at the amount of funished places to rent? I believe they are few are far between.
Sorry don't want to sound negative but don't want you to get here and be in a pickle!
Thanks Jue. I saw some that looked that shoe boxes but then the prices went up and I saw some just big enough to swing a cat (not that I do peeps) - I think Jude's idea of a Hol park sounds fab though! I like negative - it 'uncushies' it and gives the real picture not one the tourism board paints

Thanks again

Michelle & Carl
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is probably a furnished holiday house. Just google for "auckland holiday house bach" and off you go. I did this when we were flying over, and even though we needed a place where we could have our dog, I still had a few choices. Without a dog, you should be spoilt for choice, you're arriving just at the end of the holiday season.