Reccie in October

Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default Reccie in October

Hi

The Oh and i are coming over for a reccie of North Island at the beginning of October for 2weeks.

We are going to Auckland,Whangerie,Bay of Plenty, Napier and New Plymouth, Can anyone tell me what to expect temperature wise, do i need to pack shorts and suncream or is it more jumpers and jeans?

My OH is getting job interviews arranged for when we go over.

Also, when you get the packers in are you allowed to take with you Household cleaners, like washing powder etc and tinned/jars of food (especially cat food) (unopened) as i am a bit of a bargain hunter for the special buy one get one free..........and I would like to bring them over to use, rather than giving them away.

Thanks in advance

Jill
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reccie in October

October in wellington is known as the windy month - warm and windy if i remember last year - not sure if all the north island is the same - bug spray, suncream and jumpers! the sun when it shines is very intense and strong, so if you burn easily then bring the cream.

you can bring sealed tinned food - but will have to declare it - i guess they make a decision then - I have been told they are ok if its personal quantities. i don't think you can bring cleaning stuff and washing powder is likely to get damp in the container.

zoe
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:11 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

I was also one for the bargains, buy one get one free (stock up on favourites), I started shifting my hoard of bargains about 2 months before we moved out. Stopped buying and used all my stock, saved an absolute fortune by doing this and the family didn't mind. Had 62 tins Heinz tomato soup was my largest hoard.

Tinned usually OK but declare. not happy about dried foods. Soap powders would become damp and they have a good variety here. Plenty of people use a cold water powder (which I had never come across), I find it quite good but still use warm water powder at times.

happy using

Pauline
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:48 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jill stanton
Hi

The Oh and i are coming over for a reccie of North Island at the beginning of October for 2weeks.

We are going to Auckland,Whangerie,Bay of Plenty, Napier and New Plymouth, Can anyone tell me what to expect temperature wise, do i need to pack shorts and suncream or is it more jumpers and jeans?

My OH is getting job interviews arranged for when we go over.

Also, when you get the packers in are you allowed to take with you Household cleaners, like washing powder etc and tinned/jars of food (especially cat food) (unopened) as i am a bit of a bargain hunter for the special buy one get one free..........and I would like to bring them over to use, rather than giving them away.

Thanks in advance

Jill
Hi Jill,

Here in the Bay of Plenty come October we'll be well into Spring. Think warm, sunny days, with the occasional shower thrown in, but not cold. Evenings will still get chilly. Depends where you'll be staying as to how much you'll need in the way of warm clothes?

We managed to bring a slice of toast in our toaster in the container ... nothing like an unexpected surprise!!! But tins should be fine.