Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reasons why NZ is so damn good.

Reasons why NZ is so damn good.

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Reasons why NZ is so damn good.

Ok, so there may be thread similar to this but when you come onto the forum as a newbe your presented with some dire depressing stuff so on the bright side here goes...

I love New Zealand because :-

I find the people to be friendly

I think the weather is good

There is more opportunity to lead an active life

I love the open spaces

I love the laid back lifestyle

I love the community spirit of provincial towns

I have found work easy to find

I dont struggle financially

I have learned (am learning) how to be more patient

I think it is a great place to bring up a family.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:15 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why NZ is so damn good.

I know exactly what you mean about the community spirit in provincial towns - I would expand that to include rural communities, too.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:42 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazmac
Ok, so there may be thread similar to this but when you come onto the forum as a newbe your presented with some dire depressing stuff so on the bright side here goes...

I love New Zealand because :-

I find the people to be friendly

I think the weather is good

There is more opportunity to lead an active life

I love the open spaces

I love the laid back lifestyle

I love the community spirit of provincial towns

I have found work easy to find

I dont struggle financially

I have learned (am learning) how to be more patient

I think it is a great place to bring up a family.
Are you really Phil Spencer from those, 'Wanted Down Under' t.v. shows ?
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:19 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, apologies for the essay. I am in a particularly positive mood as I have a new job that I am enjoying heaps and my partner and I have been granted PR! Happy days

1. So much to do right on your doorstep. Within minutes we have a choice of lots of different beaches, forests, a huge mountain range or the foothills. At each of these places the scenery is stunning. And then within those we have a choice of tramping, walking, biking and kayaking. Never have a problem parking or driving to any of the places as there is such little traffic.

2. We can afford a spacious house with a big garden close to all of the places above and still be within easy reach of the city for work.

3. As an outdoor enthusiasts we are in our element in NZ. Activities such as Alps to Ocean, Tasman Great Taste Trail, Otago Rail Trail are bloody fantastic and will keep us busy for a long time!

4. If you're willing to ignore the past few days the weather is fantastic for getting outdoors and enjoying everything NZ has to offer. Summer actually is summer here and that's a plus in my book!

5. People are very friendly and always on hand to help out. Helping out is an honest and kind natured gesture for which nothing is expected in return.

6. NZ is so diverse. In one small country you have the opportunity to explore beaches that wouldn't look out of place in Thailand, skiing or hiking in the mountains, walking on glaciers, penguin and whale watching, cruise on the sounds, taste some of the best wines in the world, geysers, natural hot pools etc. The list goes on I'm sure but those are off the top of my head.

7. The food here is of great quality. The fruit and veggies and meat taste so fresh. Especially the lamb. Ohh the lamb!

8. My partner and I don't feel so disposable at work. We both feel valued, our opinions are asked and we are treated as another professional. In the UK both of us felt that companies couldn't care less if we left because we were easily replaceable. We have found this to be the total opposite in NZ. As a result we have both been given great opportunities to progress our careers.

9. The opportunity to travel Australia and the South Pacific Islands with ease.

10. Much less moaning in NZ. People seem happy with their lot and come across generally a lot more positive. I then feel much more positive and smile a lot more if I am surrounded by people who do the same. My partner even said to me the other day that I have been smiling a lot more lately.

Roll on many more happy memories in NZ
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:32 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your Visa upgrade I think that will be your RV as the PRV is a 2 year upgrade....I think one of the mods will help. We are eligible for our PRV in March so a question......?? does your two years start from now or when you entered NZ on your old visa??
p.s I agree with all of your points and the fishing is good as well..
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:43 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Congrats on your Visa upgrade I think that will be your RV as the PRV is a 2 year upgrade....I think one of the mods will help. We are eligible for our PRV in March so a question......?? does your two years start from now or when you entered NZ on your old visa??
p.s I agree with all of your points and the fishing is good as well..
Thanks Stormer! Yes, that's right, we have a two year resident visa which will turn into "proper" PR in two years. Feels like we are on probation

The two years starts from now I believe. As far as I am aware the two years begins at the point in which you receive your resident visa. I could be wrong but that is how we understood it.

I have never fished before in my life until we arrived in NZ! We hired a batch in Twizel and some friends taught us how to fish. Non of us caught anything though. The cheeky buggers were hiding at the bottom laughing at us I reckon as everyone seemed to be walking away empty handed!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 10:36 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

End of Jan begining Feb the big Chinook salmon will start their runs up the Waimakariri average size about 15lbs. Just a simple NZ fishing licence to fish for them.