Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reasons for coming to NZ?

Reasons for coming to NZ?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

jleroux will become famous soon enoughjleroux will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reasons for coming to NZ?

Nope, sorry. I would have $250k available as a deposit and would want to buy a 3-4 bedroom house in Auckland and they go for $450-550k. Or rather the ones I have really liked on the websites.

So I guess I could end up with a mortgage of $200k-$300k. Would that be looking for trouble even if the mortgage was only $200k?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jleroux
I like Livingston, it's more like South African suburbs than other places I've been to. I live in Eliburn around the corner from the train station. Lol, on the good side of the railway track. I have to agree Scotland is as good as the UK gets for me. Now if only I could get my morocycle out of the garage once before March I might get a small smile on my face. It's has snowed 3-4 times today already.

I love Edinburgh, it has such a lot of character. I'm not a city person, more a surburbs person. The other side is I don't know a lot of people in Scotland thanks to me not being very social (not that I'm anti-social) so I guess that will effect my outlook on life. I always tease my work mates by saying that the Scots has fantastic sportmanship, well they have to they lose at most sports. Always gets a laugh. You just got to love the Scots, well I don't have a choice my wife is half scottish..

I live in the country, Perthshire. I love it. So happy here. My OH works in Edinburgh though. Great city. Scotland would be perfect if only
1. State schools were better
2. Weather was better
3. were not so many murders and crime in certain parts of the country!

I wont be moving for a long long time.

Good luck with your search and if you are into bikes then you must love up my way.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, sorry. I would have $250k available as a deposit and would want to buy a 3-4 bedroom house in Auckland and they go for $450-550k. Or rather the ones I have really liked on the websites.

So I guess I could end up with a mortgage of $200k-$300k. Would that be looking for trouble even if the mortgage was only $200k?
$200K you might be ok but not on $300 K - not in Auckland anyway.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:40 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Would that be looking for trouble even if the mortgage was only $200k?
On NZ$50K you are not going to be living high on the hog while servicing a NZ$200K mortgage, especially with a family. However, if you get PR there are certain benefits which help with the budget (Working For Families is one).
I noticed that in a previous post you said that you didn't want to struggle. Sorry to say that trying to service a mortgage of that size on your stated salary aims would be a struggle.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice. I need honest opinions to help me decide. We'll still be going to Auckland in December to go have a look, maybe we'll love it that much that we go and both end up working but at least quality of life will make up for it. We don't know if we want to bring up kids in the UK with all the problems you have with kids has less and less respect for anybody and anything. We used to say: In Africa they steals to survive, here they steals because their bored. Maybe some sounds strange but there is some truth in it. Kids can't just be kids anymore.

Can't wait for the short Scottish summer to get that bike out.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:05 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

We used to say: In Africa they steals to survive, here they steals because they're bored.
Sorry, but you will find that it isn't that much different here. The only saving grace is that New Zealand isn't as densely populated as many other countries.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:08 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Reasons for coming to NZ?

You know i was lying in the bath after my exercise class a day or so ago thinking just this! Why do we really want to come out and what if we can't afford to go back if it isn't right. ANd i came up with this -

I didn't chose the UK i was born into it
I don't like the UK
I wouldn't chose to live in the UK if i had the choice.
Life in NZ can't be any worse if we get the right jobs, so if we get stuck over there - then it's no worse than being stuck here.

Here we move every 18 months to 2 years, the kids are in boarding school to give them continuity whilst we move around (Hubby in forces) and i HATE having them away but when you keep moving into a new area the schools that have spaces are the crap ones. I lose my friends, my job, my connections all the time and i manage - it can't be that much worse can it?

I have the tinted glasses on at times - but i know we are making the right choice - yes the pay will be less but we will actually be able to afford a house big enough for the family! Can't do that here. It won't be huge but it wil be ours! And will be brilliant once we get central heating in it! I don't like the cold. I think the kids will be kids for longer (i won't let them drive at 15!), the pressures will be less and i will be happier and less stressed as will hubby.

Our reasons for moving sanity and a house.

Last edited by spid; Jan 24th 2008 at 7:09 pm. Reason: bad spelling!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi jacky here,were from scotland to,now living in Auckland...my oh earns a good wage $120k,i am currentle not working,no support network for the kids......

granted we pay mega bucks for rental,we stupidly tied ourselves into this for a year before leaving Scotland,

but living in Auckland ,we only manage from month to month.....and we don't particularly do anythin at weekends...we have a pool and the kids tend to just hang out in the pool most weekends....

food shopping is very expensive for a family of four,insurances,doctors,dentist......electricity.. ..

its so warm just now,we are having to use fans at night to help us sleep,decembers electricity bill $245....but there is no way you can sleep without them,the heat at night is unreal,still reaching 21 degrees some nights.....

friend of ours bought a house 5 weeks after they came here,i think they have a morgage of about $250k as the brought $240k with them as downpayment...

they pay about $750 a fortnight morgage payments,you will have insurance(house ,life) and all the other charges on top,council tax,water charge....its an expensive lyfestyle over here.....sorry not trying to put asnyone off,
but i wish i was more prepared before we came over.....jacky
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jacky/Garry, I'm getting that impression more and more. I only started posting in earnest on the forum tonight and in 1 night I got more realistic answers for my doubts and questions than trawling the web or looking at telly programs for the past month.

People tend to always tell you the positive and forget to mention the negative. It's almost like they want you to enjoy the life which sounds fantastic but when you start looking at every detail you start wondering if it's worth it, so this forum is great.

I think we'll probably go look at Auckland and if we can in the future afford to move and be mortgage free we will go but at this point in time I guess the handbrake will have to be applied for 3-5 years. Lol, Only thing is what is the house prices in Auckland going to be like then if it's today such a big gap between income and house prices.

Last edited by jleroux; Jan 24th 2008 at 7:27 pm. Reason: getting names mixed up
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:51 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Thanks Jacky/Garry, I'm getting that impression more and more. I only started posting in earnest on the forum tonight and in 1 night I got more realistic answers for my doubts and questions than trawling the web or looking at telly programs for the past month.

People tend to always tell you the positive and forget to mention the negative. It's almost like they want you to enjoy the life which sounds fantastic but when you start looking at every detail you start wondering if it's worth it, so this forum is great.

I think we'll probably go look at Auckland and if we can in the future afford to move and be mortgage free we will go but at this point in time I guess the handbrake will have to be applied for 3-5 years. Lol, Only thing is what is the house prices in Auckland going to be like then if it's today such a big gap between income and house prices.
Hi,

just some advice to peeps that are worried about mortgages. Rent first as there is a report that NZ housing is the most expensive compared to income in the world. Many Kiwi's believe there will be a housing correction v soon and with sub prime loans and US on the verge of a recession the ripples will spread.

http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...p?showforum=14

So do your research before commiting to the most expensive pruchase you will do in a lifetime.

BTW we are considering going back, I came home too soon now in hindsight. Long story.......too small town, missing family, not working etc etc

Jo

Last edited by JoB; Jan 24th 2008 at 9:19 pm. Reason: usual twaddle without being spell checked first
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

I'm trying to find that little space on this planet that I can call home. South Africa will always be my birth home but my feet are still itchy.

Thanks JoB, I think putting things on a backburner for a while will do just the thing till either prices adjust or I can afford being mortgage free or have a little one.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I'm trying to find that little space on this planet that I can call home. South Africa will always be my birth home but my feet are still itchy.

Thanks JoB, I think putting things on a backburner for a while will do just the thing till either prices adjust or I can afford being mortgage free or have a little one.
Can I just ask...what makes you think you will be looking at a salary of only 50k in Auckland if you are in IT? I have a few friends who are in IT and they are all earning much more than that. Maybe that is a starting salary and you would work your way up? A friend of mine was in a call centre but once in the company he applied for better jobs and now earns a decent salary in a different department.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:55 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
What do you think you will gain or benefit from by coming to NZ?

I ask because there is much to consider. I think most of us now know that NZ as a whole has heaps of BIG problems, domestic violence, drink culture (a bad one!), drink drive, terrible road casualties, the drug 'P', child abuse, general random violence..the list goes on.

We came out here in April 2005, somewhat niave about all the latter or just how much there was over here. However we left such a shite part of our 'shire that we found all things rosy in our little slice of NZ.

Inspite of all NZ's warts we have found a better life in every respect bar missing friends and family. We are better off, feel safer, work much less and our children are having a way better time than we know they would have in the crap park behind our house which was full of grafitti, broken bottles, yobby kids, drug dealers and the such like.

We have a beach 35 mins away, skiing 3 hours, white water rafting on our doorstep and more affordable things to do (especially as a family) than I have ever had available to me in my 49 years of life.

Our new life in NZ has been awesome mainly because our lives here (in every respect) in no way resemble what we left behind. We got totally new existences. We have so much space, everywhere, mountain views from the back garden, stuff that in middle England I would have had to drive 5 hours to reach rather than 15 minutes.

We have a fair bit of crime in Palmy, but somehow as someone else said...its here but not in your face like it was back in the old country.

What do you hope to gain by leaving the UK?

I wish I had tried NZ to be honest, I HAD 18 months in "mind numbing" Perth where I witnessed more violence and crap than I ever did in the UK, might try NZ one day.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
I wish I had tried NZ to be honest, I HAD 18 months in "mind numbing" Perth where I witnessed more violence and crap than I ever did in the UK, might try NZ one day.
just as many murders and crap here mate....its just geography...

since we came here in july last year,2 murders and i old lady ,beaten to an inch of her life(in her own home,then they set the house on fire and left her in there)all within our area,and we are in a good areaheres to what the bad areas are like....sorry not trying to put anyone off,i am still happy here,but paradise it aint.....jacky
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

I must admit that i'm of the opinion you should never move anywhere to escape something. I loved where I lived in the UK (middle of newcastle city centre) and moving here was a decision we made because we had an opportunity to try something different. We are lucky that we don't have kids so we only have to worry about us. If we fail to settle, that is down to us not the country.
Nothing and nowhere is perfect, it's all about finding your place and being happy with that. All constant searching for utopia will do is make you annoyed and frustrated. If you are moving because of money (to be mortgage free or whatever) is that really a good reason?
I think i have said this before but it isn't the UK or oz or canada or any where else. It's NZ. Live here because you want to, not because you think it's better than somewhere else.

Final thought next time you hear a person tell you they moved over here because they were sick of the immigrants in the UK (my pet hate!), remind them what they are...

Enough of this, there must be a pub open. Its friday after all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.