Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is it really better than the UK

is it really better than the UK

Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

stevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nice
Default is it really better than the UK

Hi all, ive been looking into moving over to NZ for a while now, 4th interview with a large construction company coming up this week so my dream is becoming a possibility now. If all goes well what I really want to know is how many people see their moves as a success and are you happier or missing eastenders and aunty gladys more than you thought? I have beento nz previously as a backpacker 11 years ago whilst single and I loved it but living there....? Christchurch will be my destination. My wife loves shopping so theres a negative for her, im wondering how she will evolve into a quiter lifestyle, any ideas on my thoughts??

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 27th 2013, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it really better than the UK

Sorry, but this question has been done to death...even over the last few weeks. Why don't you use the search button or have a read through some threads!

No-one can answer whether you and your wife will like it here. Tell us more about why you want to move. Biggest stumbling blocks seem to be cost of living, low wages and missing friends and family, oh and that little issue of earthquakes!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

stevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nice

Seems you have answered my question, wages arent a problem, I'll use skype for family chats as I dont live their lives for them on a regular basis and earthquakes are natural, unlike being hacked to bits for being british in my capital city, on the other hand if all 'ex pats' are as cheery as some of the replies ive seen on here today perhaps NZ aint all that and I'll look up canada.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 9:29 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevedun4
Seems you have answered my question, wages arent a problem, I'll use skype for family chats as I dont live their lives for them on a regular basis and earthquakes are natural, unlike being hacked to bits for being british in my capital city, on the other hand if all 'ex pats' are as cheery as some of the replies ive seen on here today perhaps NZ aint all that and I'll look up canada.
I think you will find the same levels of satisfaction/dissatisfaction on the Canadian branch on BE

Its up to you and your wife on how successful any move is going to be. Why do want to move? What are looking for? If you want a more outdoors lifestyle, then NZ has a lot to offer.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

No. It's not better, nor is it worse. It's different. I keep telling myself everytime I 'back home we do this...' that NZ is not England, it's a foreign country. Don't let the English speaking fool you there are awesome things and sucky things, just like back home. If you really want to come then come and get it out of your system, you only get one life and you might as well try it.

Oh and just to reassure you, sky has a UKTV channel. I'm not sure where Eastenders is on that but it exists
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Quality post LauraNotts. Have some BE karma
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Biggest stumbling blocks seem to be cost of living, low wages and missing friends and family, oh and that little issue of earthquakes!
I'd add distance & isolation into that mix too.

im wondering how she will evolve into a quieter lifestyle, any ideas on my thoughts??
No-one here can answer this for you, except perhaps you . We don't know your wife.
If you are wanting to 'poll' BE users , there is a facility for that.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:26 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, ive been looking into moving over to NZ for a while now, 4th interview with a large construction company coming up this week so my dream is becoming a possibility now. If all goes well what I really want to know is how many people see their moves as a success and are you happier or missing eastenders and aunty gladys more than you thought? I have beento nz previously as a backpacker 11 years ago whilst single and I loved it but living there....? Christchurch will be my destination. My wife loves shopping so theres a negative for her, im wondering how she will evolve into a quiter lifestyle, any ideas on my thoughts??

Thanks in advance
You could always try it and then leave your options open to come back to the uk. It will be more expensive than your last visit, that's the main negative. Try and get accom organised through your firm as well.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:16 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife loves shopping...seems to be a female trait. Just in Chch there is 90% less choice so she dosn't spend so much.....and the prices mean she dosn't waste as much....
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stormer999
My wife loves shopping...seems to be a female trait. Just in Chch there is 90% less choice so she dosn't spend so much.....and the prices mean she dosn't waste as much....
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Eastenders is around 4 weeks behind the UK. Coronation St - I've been here 19 months and still showing episodes from then .

Shopping - have a look at Westfield Riccarton and Re-Start for an idea of shops in ChCh. There is also a thread on here for shops that ship from the UK, although there are plans to charge GST on all online sales.

NZ is different to the UK - if it wasn't, why would you move? Some people love it, some can't wait to leave and others have no strong feelings either way . The only way you can decide if it's for you is to give it a go
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:04 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

no its different
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:26 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
NZ is different to the UK - if it wasn't, why would you move?
Well said.

To many people expect different better not different worse.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:31 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Some people love it, some can't wait to leave and others have no strong feelings either way . The only way you can decide if it's for you is to give it a go
Yeah. To many people 'want' to love it and consider it a climb down if they can't make themselves love it. They seem to have an expectation on themselves and carry the expectation of people they know to love it from day one of arrival. Have a fabulous life, live in a permanent state of excitement, never look back and only pause to criticise the UK. Is this because despite how 'happy' they insist the are, they have to be defending their position ?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

The answer to all these threads, its an adventure, its a gamble!!

It may be a forever adventure or one that only lasts a few months/years. No different to moving to another part of the UK, only bit harder to pop home.

My look on life is that it is too short and is for living, don't live to regret what you didn't do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.