Real Pubs

Old May 16th 2008, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Sventare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real Pubs

I'm thinking of setting up a website for British Expats in the US to post recommendations for pubs - real pubs! - to other Expats who miss the real thing.
Before I do that, I wanted to gauge the level of interest.... reply if you like the idea! : )
And if anyone knows of one in or near Princeton, NJ, I'll swap that info for the name of an excellent microbrewery near Philadelphia, PA
Old May 16th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

paddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nice
Default Re: Real Pubs

i agree with you about the deplorable state of the american brewing industry....but i live in colorado...and have not really found a half decent pint....and even so their pints are 4/5 the size of ours.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:20 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sventare
And if anyone knows of one in or near Princeton, NJ
The Ship Inn, Milford, NJ: not in Princeton but only about an hour away

http://britishbrewpub.com/

they brew a pretty decent cask ale on the premises using ingredients imported from Britain
Old May 16th 2008, 11:21 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy_cooper
i agree with you about the deplorable state of the american brewing industry....
how long have you lived in the USA????
Old May 16th 2008, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

there's a few sites like that already, though more general in pubs than Brit pubs.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
how long have you lived in the USA????
to some extent I agree, apart from some cracking micro brews, the state of pubs in general is still pretty dire....I know there are some great ones about though
Old May 17th 2008, 12:01 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thepeoplespint.com/

Great food and 3 on cask at all times.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy_cooper
i agree with you about the deplorable state of the american brewing industry....but i live in colorado...and have not really found a half decent pint....and even so their pints are 4/5 the size of ours.
Are you kidding? Colorado is one of the best places in the country for beer. Check out the Great American Beer festival later this year, should be round the corner from you. Right now, I think you will find a huge number of regular people and experts who rate the US brewing industry as the best in the world, I am one of them. If you don't like the size of the pint, just ask for a 22oz or 32oz if the offer them.
Old May 17th 2008, 4:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you don't like the size of the pint, just ask for a 22oz or 32oz if the offer them.
But even then they'd still be smaller if you took all the bubbles out!
Old May 19th 2008, 4:57 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

It's a good 'un is this, a good 'un!

www.london-grill.com/plainwell_home.htm
Old May 19th 2008, 5:32 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you kidding? Colorado is one of the best places in the country for beer. Check out the Great American Beer festival later this year, should be round the corner from you.
Yeah, I call bullshit on that as well. If you're in Colorado and you can't find good beer, you're really helpless.
Old May 19th 2008, 8:15 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yeah, I call bullshit on that as well. If you're in Colorado and you can't find good beer, you're really helpless.
Yup, try the Yardhouse. 100 - 250 beers on draft.
Old May 19th 2008, 9:49 pm
Septic Sprout

Are you kidding? Colorado is one of the best places in the country for beer. Check out the Great American Beer festival later this year, should be round the corner from you. Right now, I think you will find a huge number of regular people and experts who rate the US brewing industry as the best in the world, I am one of them. If you don't like the size of the pint, just ask for a 22oz or 32oz if the offer them.
Actually, come to think of it, don't most US beer festivals serve in thimbles? I hear the GABF was 1oz pours. Surely the beer would evaporate before you managed to raise the glass to your lips? I thought the local festivals arranged by the BeerAdvocate people in Boston were bad enough. Went to one and it were 4oz pours, but only when I had bought tickets from another did I discover they'd halved this! Tickets went straight on eBay. I don't necessarily go to beer festivals to get wankered (novel, eh?) but this is getting a tad ridiculous. :curse:
Old May 20th 2008, 7:03 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Actually, come to think of it, don't most US beer festivals serve in thimbles? I hear the GABF was 1oz pours. Surely the beer would evaporate before you managed to raise the glass to your lips? I thought the local festivals arranged by the BeerAdvocate people in Boston were bad enough. Went to one and it were 4oz pours, but only when I had bought tickets from another did I discover they'd halved this! Tickets went straight on eBay. I don't necessarily go to beer festivals to get wankered (novel, eh?) but this is getting a tad ridiculous. :curse:
The Peoria Beer festival has those crappy 1oz glasses ....kinda off putting ...no real chance to get the taste....although we did enjoy the beers from Lost Coast (Eureka California) and Two Brothers (Chicago) .....There are indeed some great American micro-brews ....as good as anything in the UK...BUT!!...there just isn't the pubs to enjoy them in ....
Old May 20th 2008, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
BUT!!...there just isn't the pubs to enjoy them in ....
That I agree with. Why can't people understand that a traditional British pub isn't some gimmicky restaurant with union jacks everywhere serving badly imported English beer and some poor renditions of English dishes. To me a good local pub is a meeting place that you can go in and sit down with your pals, that serves some simple but tasty local food made with local ingredients and serves a good range of beers from the local area as well as a few from a far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.