Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Real estate agency work - moved from Sheep Dip to Main forum.

Real estate agency work - moved from Sheep Dip to Main forum.

Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

kayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud of
Default Real estate agency work - moved from Sheep Dip to Main forum.

Soz, first time ive been on this and while reading spotted Am Loolah is a real estate agent, Im an estate agent in the UK and moving over in Sept hoping to continue in this field, any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers kay

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 31st 2008 at 1:32 am. Reason: moved from Kiwi says thread to it's own thread.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Real estate agency work - moved from Sheep Dip to Main forum.

I have moved this post from the 'Kiwi Sayings' thread in the Sheep Dip to it's own thread in the main forum.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Real estate agency work - moved from Sheep Dip to Main forum.

Hi Kayos,
You should have no problems with your type of work as its on the long term list for skill shortages.
Have a look on immergration site under skilled migrant.
as you may get extra points.
So hope you look forward to going, wish I was still there.

Regards

Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:22 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. Is it really on the long term list???? I'm a PA in the industry and agents are dropping like flies at the moment. The agency I work for is recruiting and your best bet would be to take a position as a sales assistant to an established agent if you can - usually only the top earners have 'assistants'. You get a retainer (not all agencies offer this) and a bonus from sales as opposed to actual commission but it means you're well placed to strike out on your own when the tide turns. Good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi there. Is it really on the long term list???? I'm a PA in the industry and agents are dropping like flies at the moment. The agency I work for is recruiting and your best bet would be to take a position as a sales assistant to an established agent if you can - usually only the top earners have 'assistants'. You get a retainer (not all agencies offer this) and a bonus from sales as opposed to actual commission but it means you're well placed to strike out on your own when the tide turns. Good luck.
Whilst I would agree that's good advice from Batty I'll just explain a little more how it works if you're unsure.

It is NOT the same as in the UK. Basically you are self-employed and you represent a company - the agency with whom you have a contract. They pay you nothing, you are on a commission based income only. You need to source your own business, it is rare (may vary from area to area) for someone to pick up the phone or walk in the door of the office and ask you to sell their house, until you are known and recommended. You build up a database and start with pretty much nothing. This includes such fun jobs as door knocking, flyer dropping and offering to do other agents open homes. By doing that you will come in to contact with buyers. Here you can take your buyers through any other company's listings - by appointment - and the commission is split between the 2 companies if sold.

Having said that it can be financially rewarding in a good market. Sadly, the current market is pretty lacking in confidence and as Batty said agents are dropping out as you can't live on nothing. I can't imagine it will have improved much by September, so Batty's advice would be the best route in at this time. We're certainly not seeing many newcomers to the industry at the moment!

PM me if you'd like to know more.

cottageinthesky is another agent, she's near Wellington.

Also should mention there are start up costs involved. You need to attend a Salespersons Course and pass it (fees for this have just increased to I think around $750). You need to apply for registration and your certificate from the Institute (another $350-$400 I think.) You'll need a car with business insurance. A laptop and mobile. And to be registered for GST and tax as you will be responsible for this.

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jul 31st 2008 at 10:43 am. Reason: Forgot something ... dur!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

kayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud of

Cheers all, really good advice! Soz how do I 'PM' someone? Looks like I'm jumping out of the frying pan into the fire then as market there sounds like ours here, anyone give advice about a career change! Seriously though been thinking maybe I should train as a teacher or something....
Old Jul 31st 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayos
Cheers all, really good advice! Soz how do I 'PM' someone? ....
Hi Kayos, to PM someone click on their name and a box will open below. A PM can be sent from there (second line down), being nosey and being in Devon, where abouts are you?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:19 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

also to add to the above, my father was a real estate agent for years in wellington. He was very involved with 'community' stuff. by that i mean, he sponsored a few kids sports teams, and helped out with rugby club type activities. ie what Am Loolah said about getting a database of people is important, and also being recognised by those people. Lot of church going agents found their clients there too. Not by passing out cards (though i think if half of them, including my father could have got away with it they would have) but rather by being the person they think of when they go to sell the property.

Actually my mother started working part time when he was in real estate as well - as stated, most work on commission only.

You'll need a car with business insurance

Definitely! i am not sure how common it is in the UK as the real estate agents I encountered never once drove me to the property (perhaps an anomoly? also it was for rentals) but it is quite common to meet at an office and drive out in one car - therefore, as my father found out when he first started, you can't drive a 2 door hatchback! They also drive out to the properties themselves, so don't worry you are not a taxi service! But a lot still do (at least where i live) drive you to a property.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi Batty, thanks for your advice aswell, could you let me know which agent you work for and where you are? My partner is an electrician and we would prefer to live in a smaller town like Timaru or Geraldine rather than a big place like Christchurch (we live in a tiny hamlet here). My partner has had several job offers but I would need and want to work and having read other peoples stories, it sounds like jobs arent that easy to come by in these areas. Where I can get work will decide on which offer my partner accepts, we've only got till mid Sept to decide! Flights booked!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:55 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'll PM you.