British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   RE: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/re-looking-auckland-%E2%80%93-cost-living-trying-gauge-salary-i-need-aim-871566/)

mickey_d Feb 4th 2016 11:15 am

Re: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell (Post 11857610)
I would like to say thank you for all your input on this. My task is to understand what I, as a solo parent (single wage) need to be looking at in terms of salary band vs COL.

I also think it is important to have a rainy day buffer as I have previously been made redundant and as we all know the bills keep coming in, regardless.

I have updated my spreadsheet to this (below) , and further comments would be welcome. Cheers for now

ITEM WEEKLY MONTH x 4 After overheads
Rent 500
Food 120
School costs 100
Car 50
Petrol 50
School trips 50
Electric / heating 40
Clothing 25
Doctors / medical insure 25
Misc entertainment 25
Water supply ? 20
Home & maint 20
Internet 20
Car insure 15
Other 15
House - contents insure 10

Sub total 1085 x 4 = 4340

Take home Pay @ $65 k 4294 after overheads -46
Take home Pay @ $75 k 4853 after overheads 513
Take home Pay @ $80 k 5126 after overheads 786
Take home Pay @ $85 k 5399 after overheads 1059
Take home Pay @ $90 k 5672 after overheads 1332

There is also Kiwisaver/pension to take into account? which at a min. would take a couple of hundred off. Also life insurances.

LittleGreyCat Feb 4th 2016 12:55 pm

Re: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

I think you should explicitly include a payment into an "emergency" or "contingency" fund and once you get set up you should have this as a separate account with the money transferred each month (or whenever your salary hits). I would think at least $100 per month with a personal rule that you won't dip into it except in dire emergency until the fund is above $1,000. Then keep it at that level or more.

Shit happens, things (especially cars) wear out.
Without a savings buffer you would be really living from hand to mouth which is not generally a good thing.
Also, as kids get older they cost even more to run!

AndyCampbell Feb 4th 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 11857741)
I think you should explicitly include a payment into an "emergency" or "contingency" fund and once you get set up you should have this as a separate account with the money transferred each month (or whenever your salary hits). I would think at least $100 per month with a personal rule that you won't dip into it except in dire emergency until the fund is above $1,000. Then keep it at that level or more.

Shit happens, things (especially cars) wear out.
Without a savings buffer you would be really living from hand to mouth which is not generally a good thing.
Also, as kids get older they cost even more to run!

Yes that it so true. Just yesterday my car engine management light came on and started stuttering but was relieved when the garage put it on the diagnostic that showed ‘misfire’ (well I knew that :lol: ) – ended up new HT (spark plug) leads and sorted £75 quid later inc new set of plugs. We have had hectic floods here over the last few months so a lot of cars taking strain.

To be honest – I think I am just going to raise the bar on my salary because also what hasn’t been factored into is the cost of re-locating to NZ. If I don’t get any interest then I think that will be the deciding factor as I don’t want to be move to any other country and find myself on a shoe-string budget. I have strong career experience (inc international) and there are countries like Switzerland with sub-zero employment status that offer really good salaries.

The biggie is taking my 12 y/o (nearing 13) son into account. He is away on a trip up to the Highlands next month and has a lot of things to do here. He and his pals get the bus into town on a Saturday and go swimming and other things and then get the bus back. He does after school basketball on a Tuesday and that is also free.

Yeah – the more I look at the cost factors NZ seems to be pricing itself out the market. In my case anyway. Different for a dual salary family.

Thank you for your input

AndyCampbell Feb 4th 2016 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 11857687)
There is also Kiwisaver/pension to take into account? which at a min. would take a couple of hundred off. Also life insurances.

Yes good point as the calculator did factor in ACC but not Kiwi Saver.

Thank you :thumbup:

Kotare Feb 4th 2016 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11857596)

Noes again. We have a city. It is Nelson.

South Island has a major city and it is called Christchurch and it needs a lot, a HUGE lot, more care than it is currently getting.

We also have Dunedin.

I have no idea about the North Island but in the South Island we value all our communities. Big and small.

Did I mention the rivalry between the 'mainland' and the North Island. The blob to the South has to be friendlier as there aren't many of them :-)

simonsi Feb 4th 2016 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell (Post 11857855)
To be honest – I think I am just going to raise the bar on my salary because also what hasn’t been factored into is the cost of re-locating to NZ.

The other thing you need to take into account is that from Europe NZ is a luxury long-haul destination based on travel cost, travel time etc. Most people would class it as a once-in-a-lifetime destination. That doesn't change once you are here and want to go the other way so travel back to keep you and son in touch with any friends and relatives you have will be very difficult without a rock-star (literally) salary.

I now have a job that involves regular international travel to the UK and US, I see my UK family every 4-6mths (but that is me only, not my family travelling with me). Before that I had no visits for the 5yrs since we came out here. That is the harsh reality - and I'm on way more than your budgeted salary - but with 4 daughters, as above, kids get expensive to run...

mickey_d Feb 4th 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell (Post 11857855)
Yes that it so true. Just yesterday my car engine management light came on and started stuttering but was relieved when the garage put it on the diagnostic that showed ‘misfire’ (well I knew that :lol: ) – ended up new HT (spark plug) leads and sorted £75 quid later inc new set of plugs. We have had hectic floods here over the last few months so a lot of cars taking strain.

To be honest – I think I am just going to raise the bar on my salary because also what hasn’t been factored into is the cost of re-locating to NZ. If I don’t get any interest then I think that will be the deciding factor as I don’t want to be move to any other country and find myself on a shoe-string budget. I have strong career experience (inc international) and there are countries like Switzerland with sub-zero employment status that offer really good salaries.

The biggie is taking my 12 y/o (nearing 13) son into account. He is away on a trip up to the Highlands next month and has a lot of things to do here. He and his pals get the bus into town on a Saturday and go swimming and other things and then get the bus back. He does after school basketball on a Tuesday and that is also free.

Yeah – the more I look at the cost factors NZ seems to be pricing itself out the market. In my case anyway. Different for a dual salary family.

Thank you for your input

Our Engine Management light came on a couple of years ago, it cost us more than that just for the diagnostic check. Turned out to be an 02 Sensor. Total cost was over $400!!!

AndyCampbell Feb 4th 2016 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 11858224)
Our Engine Management light came on a couple of years ago, it cost us more than that just for the diagnostic check. Turned out to be an 02 Sensor. Total cost was over $400!!!

Yeah, it can be harsh. I used to take my car to Mercedes and was £65 just for a coffee at reception :eek: Free diagnostic with the coffee tho :lol:. I have found a really good indi garage and I’m sticking with them.

MrsFychan Feb 7th 2016 4:33 am

after the last couple of days and needing to get more, you will need to add to your grocery shop sun tan lotion/spray and insect repellent which is a must in any part of the island along with a few sun hats and sunnies for everyone.

Snap Shot Feb 7th 2016 7:59 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11860023)
after the last couple of days and needing to get more, you will need to add to your grocery shop sun tan lotion/spray and insect repellent which is a must in any part of the island along with a few sun hats and sunnies for everyone.

Plus NZ$16.99 for antihistamine cream to deal with the inevitable itching from the insect bites. I daren't look at Boots the chemist website or a UK supermarket for price comparison, I just daren't.

Also, the cost of just about any over the counter medicine in NZ is, frankly, obscene.

MrsFychan Feb 7th 2016 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11860098)
Plus NZ$16.99 for antihistamine cream to deal with the inevitable itching from the insect bites. I daren't look at Boots the chemist website or a UK supermarket for price comparison, I just daren't.

Also, the cost of just about any over the counter medicine in NZ is, frankly, obscene.

yeh nearly chocked couple of weeks ago when OH bought some Neurofen, $19 for one packet.

barnsleymat Feb 7th 2016 8:33 am

the cost of just about any over the counter medicine in NZ is, frankly, obscene.

Hayfever tablets are about $1 each (not per pack) from the supermarket here, back in the real world they're about 3p to 6p each. It makes my blood boil.
It's the same with nasal sprays, $17 I paid for one last week, you can get them for roughly 1 to 3 pounds back home.
It's an absolute swindle.

AndyCampbell Feb 7th 2016 8:53 am

I wonder why that is ? :eek:

Perhaps a natural remedy alternative is a solution ?

Btw – what insects are biting ?

AndyCampbell Feb 7th 2016 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11860102)
yeh nearly chocked couple of weeks ago when OH bought some Neurofen, $19 for one packet.

Was that for a box of 50 ? :p

AndyCampbell Feb 7th 2016 8:56 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11860116)
It's an absolute swindle.

I didn't think 'swindling' was common in NZ ?