British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   RE: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/re-looking-auckland-%E2%80%93-cost-living-trying-gauge-salary-i-need-aim-871566/)

AndyCampbell Jan 30th 2016 11:02 am

RE: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

Been looking at cost of living in Auckland and also salary scales (take home pay) to try to understand what salary band I would have to be aiming for . It is just me and my 12 y/o son so based the rental I had a look at for 2 bedroom on Trade Me, I would say $500 a week should be about right ?

I used an online COL calculator which offered most of the figures and I entered in most cases ‘frugal’. I think some areas are high , for example the food at 299 a week but I could be wrong. Here in Scotland I would say our grocery bill is around £50 a week.

I would appreciate any input on this as I have been looking at jobs in Auckland online and trying to gauge the figures. See below ....

Thanks and have a good weekend;)

WEEKLY
RENT - $500
FOOD - $299
OTHER - $15
HOME & MAINT - $20
CLOTHING - $25
CAR - wof / maint / fuel - $30
HOUSE - contents insure - $2
CAR - insure - $5
Internet - $15
Electric / heating - $40
Misc entertainment - $25

Sub total per week = $976

Take home Pay @ $65 k take home p/m= 4294 after overheads 390
Take home Pay @ $75 k take home p/m= 4853 after overheads 949
Take home Pay @ $80 k take home p/m= 5126 after overheads 1222
Take home Pay @ $85 k take home p/m= 5399 after overheads 1495

Timmy Chch Jan 30th 2016 4:09 pm

Re: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

Food is expensive but not 3x as much! If you currently do 50 quid so roughly 100 bucks I'd make that figure 150-200 max deffo not 300.

Justcol Jan 30th 2016 5:29 pm

Re: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

I think your electric bill / heating is too low, during the winter months
I can get well over 400 month, that's 2 people in a renovated and insulated Villa.
$30 of petrol won't get you very far at all.
You'll probably need sky TV, free to air is awful.

You have listed salaries from 65 to 85
What do you do for a living, it would help with giving
a clearer indication of potential salaries.

Initial outlay for school uniform can be high so brace for that
there is also the annual school donation, this varies from
school to school so check as you go.

Just a heads up, most salaries are paid fortnightly

Personally I think you will seriously struggle on less than $75k

Many rentals will have an open day and lots of applicants,
so agents can and often do pick and choose Tennant's.
Initial costs and bonds for rentals can be very high and
there is also water rates to take into account.

Sorry for the randomness of the post, I've just added things
as I thought of them

AndyCampbell Jan 30th 2016 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11853860)
I think your electric bill / heating is too low, during the winter months
I can get well over 400 month, that's 2 people in a renovated and insulated Villa.
$30 of petrol won't get you very far at all.
You'll probably need sky TV, free to air is awful.

You have listed salaries from 65 to 85
What do you do for a living, it would help with giving
a clearer indication of potential salaries.

I usually get Co car so used to putting some gas in at weekends

I wouldn't waste my money on Sky so that will sort out the elec ;)

I'm in management and looking at the roles on Seek that do indicate salaries I think that is best to look at that band (65 – 85) rather than aim higher and be disillusioned.

Although I must say that the majority of roles don’t mention salary.

AndyCampbell Jan 30th 2016 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch (Post 11853809)
Food is expensive but not 3x as much! If you currently do 50 quid so roughly 100 bucks I'd make that figure 150-200 max deffo not 300.

Thanks mate. I did kinda think that but I am trying to get a good idea from folk that have done it and know so I can know where to aim (salary etc), rather than get there and be a wingin' Pom :lol:

Cheers

jmh Jan 30th 2016 6:06 pm

I think those are good ball park figures. My summer electricity on a 3 bed house is $100, winter is around $230, but I am a bit of a softy and have the heat pump on more than most.

I don't have Sky - it's expensive for very little. Highly recommend unlimited broadband which I pay $85pm and subscribe to Netfix and perhaps Lightbox. With a young boy your subscription choices may be different to mine.

I work from home so my fuel costs are very low, so hard to compare there.

When searching on Seek, put a salary range in the search. It will give you a clue of how much the employer is anticipating paying.

AndyCampbell Jan 30th 2016 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11853881)
I think those are good ball park figures. My summer electricity on a 3 bed house is $100, winter is around $230, but I am a bit of a softy and have the heat pump on more than most.

I don't have Sky - it's expensive for very little. Highly recommend unlimited broadband which I pay $85pm and subscribe to Netfix and perhaps Lightbox. With a young boy your subscription choices may be different to mine.

I work from home so my fuel costs are very low, so hard to compare there.

When searching on Seek, put a salary range in the search. It will give you a clue of how much the employer is anticipating paying.

Thanks for the input

Yeah, I am with you on the uncapped broadband, especially with the wee lad ;)

I’ll try that on Seek – cheers for the valuable input and enjoy the rest of your Sunday :thumbup:

MrsFychan Jan 30th 2016 7:09 pm

as well as school donations for your son you will need to pay towards trips and some additional class activities, as well as buying stationery and books. Our daughter, although older than your son is going on a school trip this year and it is costing over $3K. Our younger son is going camping with the school, not sure yet how much that is going to cost but he goes in March apparently. Be prepared for short notice of these type of things.
also your son will probably want to do some activities, football, tennis, basketball etc? these will also cost.

Hope this is not to personal but you say it is just you and your son, do you have/need permission to take your son out of the country long term? You would need to prove this.

AndyCampbell Jan 30th 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11853922)

Hope this is not to personal but you say it is just you and your son, do you have/need permission to take your son out of the country long term? You would need to prove this.

All green lights on that one Mrs F but thanks for considering

BEVS Jan 30th 2016 9:13 pm

We are a couple . No kids. One cat. Two ducks & two hens.

Grocery bill is around $150/$200.

scrubbedexpat094 Jan 30th 2016 9:23 pm

You need to factor in GP visits (mine is $40/ visit) and dentist (I just paid $158 for two x-rays, check-up and a clean and polish). I don't have children so can't comment on costs for them. I believe that GP's no longer charge for children's appointments, however I have heard that some still do.

MrsFychan Jan 30th 2016 10:00 pm

GP's are not meant to charge for anyone under 13yrs, but believe they still have to pay for any prescriptions. Our Dr's fees are just under $50, it does depend on surgery as to how much they charge and remember if it is covered by ACC it is often still not free but just slightly cheaper.
Not sure if on those wages you have factored in kiwi saver contributions or ACC levies .http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in...aries-acc.html

AndyCampbell Jan 30th 2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11853998)
You need to factor in GP visits (mine is $40/ visit) and dentist (I just paid $158 for two x-rays, check-up and a clean and polish). I don't have children so can't comment on costs for them. I believe that GP's no longer charge for children's appointments, however I have heard that some still do.

Thanks for your input. Good point/s, not sure how it all works but I will look into med insurance.

I will make sure our teeth are up-to-date as I know NZ dentistry is expensive.

Cheers for that :thumbup:

garethwm Jan 30th 2016 11:38 pm

If you buy £50 of groceries in Scotland, the same items in NZ will cost you around $120 or maybe $130.

MrsFychan Jan 31st 2016 1:24 am

Originally Posted by garethwm (Post 11854070)
If you buy £50 of groceries in Scotland, the same items in NZ will cost you around $120 or maybe $130.

and lots of stuff is seasonal