Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RE: The Hip-Hop culture in new Zealand ?

RE: The Hip-Hop culture in new Zealand ?

Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:36 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Question RE: The Hip-Hop culture in new Zealand ?

I think it would be most interesting to hear folk’s opinions regarding the hip hop culture that is growing in New Zealand.

If the youth are the future and most of the youth here adopt this rapp culture and attitudes what is the destiny of New Zealand in your opinion?

I mean, do you believe the results of this culture:-

Is not affecting NZ?
Will not affect NZ?

Has not affected other countries to their detriment?
As above – but has?

Do you believe this is a violent culture – or not?

Some questions just to get you started………………

Interesting to hear the opinions.

This is also aimed at readers that have not been to New Zealand as your opinion of this hip-hop culture where you are located can offer a contribution to the thread.

Do you feel it is an area that could create reservations about you or others considering New Zealand as country to re-locate to?

I believe New Zealanders would like to hear and welcome contribution to this topic.

Cheers
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: The Hip-Hop culture in new Zealand ?

um, well firstly I think you need to define 'hip hop culture'!

there are lots of hip hop acts at my dp's school (as he runs the music dept he looks after and teaches all the school 'bands' (of whatever genre)).

One is a christian hiphop group, one mixed (girls and boys, christian and non christian, maori and pakeha) with a more r&b flavour (and have a record deal, and promote non-drug use as one of their ideals) and one just won the north island young rapper's award thingy... and all are achieving at school.

Hip hop is a music genre, within which there are many many sub-genres.

Do you mean 'gang culture' instead?

SF
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:11 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
If the youth are the future and most of the youth here adopt this rapp culture and attitudes what is the destiny of New Zealand in your opinion?

Is not affecting NZ?
Will not affect NZ?

As above – but has?

This is also aimed at readers that have not been to New Zealand as your opinion of this hip-hop culture where you are located can offer a contribution to the thread.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:18 am

New Zealand has a thriving hip hop scene. Artist such as Che Fu, Scribe, Frontline and P Money have earned international attention.

It is a uniquely NZ take, with much identification from the South Pacific and urbanised Maori communities.

It's all good stuff, although I suspect you do not listen to much hip hop.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

NZ has a thriving music scene, with heaps of different genres and awesome music. NZ music is definitely of its own, some bands change to become more commercial overseas, but there is a very definite flavour underlying the bands.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Music

If you want to blame a particular music genre for all of the world's ills, then you are going to have to come up with better than your original post

Che Fu, one of NZs leading and original hiphop musicians, would have to be one of the best role models for kids.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:53 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beachcombers

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? "

We choose New Zealand!

Cool thread.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be most interesting to hear folk’s opinions regarding the hip hop culture that is growing in New Zealand.

Is not affecting NZ?
Will not affect NZ?

As above – but has?

Do you feel it is an area that could create reservations about you or others considering New Zealand as country to re-locate to?

I believe New Zealanders would like to hear and welcome contribution to this topic.

Cheers
Didn't realise 'hip-hop' equated to violence.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:17 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

New Zealand has a thriving hip hop scene. Artist such as Che Fu, Scribe, Frontline and P Money have earned international attention.
Big whoop!

It is a uniquely NZ take, with much identification from the South Pacific and urbanised Maori communities.
Rubbish. Unique my ass. It's derivative of the shite from South Central LA right down to the stupid crap scrawled on the walls. These ignorant sad shits know nothing about the Crips and the Bloods, yet they love to tie red or blue do-rags on their noggins and flash gang signs. Uh-huh, right. Since when is "Yo, whassup my nigga" unique to New Zealand?

Bullshit, mate. I bloody hate the the stuff, yet with the scum blasting it out of their cars and baggy-pants pimple-popping teens left in charge of many shops' sound systems it's hard to escape.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Big whoop!

Rubbish. Unique my ass. It's derivative of the shite from South Central LA right down to the stupid crap scrawled on the walls. These ignorant sad shits know nothing about the Crips and the Bloods, yet they love to tie red or blue do-rags on their noggins and flash gang signs. Uh-huh, right. Since when is "Yo, whassup my nigga" unique to New Zealand?

Bullshit, mate. I bloody hate the the stuff, yet with the scum blasting it out of their cars and baggy-pants pimple-popping teens left in charge of many shops' sound systems it's hard to escape.
well funny.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Big whoop!

Gosh, I really hope that you don't find something serious to stress about, your blood pressure must go through the roof!

It sounds like you need to get into NZ music such as the dub scene, maybe there will be something there to karma you down. Have you listened to Salmonella Dub, KatchaFire, Fat Freddys Drop... I think maybe the reggae beat may be more your style...
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:36 pm
Banned

Interesting view,

One of the things we were told quite early on in our adjustment to NZ is not to say “pee” as in, I need to go for a “pee”. This we were told refers to the “P” drug issue that is a huge problem and identified that it is associated with most of the increasing violent crimes here in NZ.

So what is the gist of “P Money” ? Are they referring to urine or drugs?

Yes and this is exactly my point but I don’t feel that you can be so general to say that the minority groups of NZ represent NZ on the whole. You know, like the world opinion according to Scotland.

It is great that these “artists” have got international attention. Britney Spears, Barbie and Trainspotting also get international attention.

Yes you are correct, I do not listen to ( voluntary ) Hip-Hop, Trip-Hop, Garage, Lounge, Kitchen, and Attic.

I suspect you don’t listen to Jimmy Shand, The Alexander Brothers, The Wee Jimmies, The Haggis Brothers, The Tartan Twins, The Idgits, Peeing In The Glomin, Ma Bonnie Bitch or the Shuggie Hill Pipe Band ?

Is this music you are listening to possibly a platform to release the communities (you mention) frustrations? I understand that the basis of Rapp music was the “voice” of the Afro-American oppression – no?

Not sure if you are getting my point here?

Cheers and thanks for your opinion and post.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:40 pm

Big whoop!

Morning!

Wow, did someone light a firecracker under your bed or something?

Sounds like you need to get out of the 'hood mate!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Interesting view,

One of the things we were told quite early on in our adjustment to NZ is not to say “pee” as in, I need to go for a “pee”. This we were told refers to the “P” drug issue that is a huge problem and identified that it is associated with most of the increasing violent crimes here in NZ.

I have *never* heard of this in Christchurch! People say they are going for a pee all the time, how ridiculous. Just so that you are better informed, click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_Money

Yes and this is exactly my point but I don’t feel that you can be so general to say that the minority groups of NZ represent NZ on the whole. You know, like the world opinion according to Scotland.

I suspect you don’t listen to Jimmy Shand, The Alexander Brothers, The Wee Jimmies, The Haggis Brothers, The Tartan Twins, The Idgits, Peeing In The Glomin, Ma Bonnie Bitch or the Shuggie Hill Pipe Band ?
Gosh it sounds like you listen to the sort of music that can only be listened to whilst wearing a kilt surrounded by heather!
Do you see how dangerous (and stupid) generalisations can be?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Morning!

Wow, did someone light a firecracker under your bed or something?

Sounds like you need to get out of the 'hood mate!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by danny.f
Didn't realise 'hip-hop' equated to violence.
Does Gospel music relate to God?

So if so many people are saying Hip-Hop relates to something and I obviously don’t get it please explain what it relates to?

Let me ask you:

Would you be offended is someone referred to your mother, your wife, your daughter as “bitch”?

Most times I ( involuntary) hear this type of music I hear the reference to “bitch”. The last ( most unfortunate) time I ( involuntary) saw some 24/7 music channel being piped ( uncensored) in a “family” area , the music video is girls nearly naked all doing the same old dance with some rapper doing the same old arm flapping , whilst the reference “bitch” is used over & over.

Do you think that is a good message?

Do you think that I “ have to” listen to such crap?

If not why is this music so in my face everywhere I go ?

Interesting that in the UK that they used Cliff Richard music to deter youth gatherings that were breaching the peace.

Interesting that in Australia they used Barry Manilow for the same reason.

I too am allowed to speak for what I believe in just as much I am sure you don’t go home and “pump up” Mozart or Beethoven. Right?

Cheers and thanks for your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.