Rates

Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rates

Originally Posted by Dandy Dan
Can I just ask why you chose NZ? The way of life here seems to me to be about unshackling from the 'must have' and 'keeping up with' that's so rift in UK and western world. My only experience here tells me that people are interested in people here, not what they have or don't have, and no-one here really gets jealous if others have more. I'm just curious why you would chose NZ as in nearly all the threads you post on you like to mention your $800 a week rental, or your pool, or your wife's top 1% pay, etc. It ain't about that man, and it ain't impressive or causing jealous, it just sounds a bit, I dunno, sad that you feel you have to keep mentioning it. I ain't having a dig, it just seems an odd choice of country for yous given the lifestyle here.
Thanks for reading the posts i think one mentioned wanting to buy a pool and the above one goes on about rent and as for my wifes salary i think that was in a salary post but as i've never thought about its context i can't remember when that was posted.

We chose NZ because we've wanted to try somewhere other than the UK for a long time and NZ fitted the bill. I don't care a jot about what others have or do not we just want to rent a nice house for the family to live in and have nice things for us to use and enjoy (the kids like swimming so want a pool) its got diddly squat to do with who has it and quite frankly i'll buy if we can afford it irrespective of what anyone thinks.

We're trying a different country but that doesn't mean i don't still want nice things be that cars as i love driving,houses for the family to live,pool to swim in or whatever....

Wanting or having those things are in no way at all to make anyone jealous but if someone feels jealousy then thats not our problem........

Why would wanting these things mean 'i'm surprised you chose NZ'?

Whats wrong with choosing NZ but still wanting nice things for your family to enjoy?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Dandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FishermansFriend
Rather a sweeping statement? Surely it depends on which part of the business cycle you either rent or buy?
I'd suggest at this time (late in the cycle if it conforms to norm) it may be wiser to rent and wait to buy.
Of course if you're knocking on a bit you may never see the long term advantages of buying no matter when you buy.
I for one have never seen the advantage in renting and lining someone else's pocket. Not only do they get the rent but also the benefit of the equity in the property. If you're only renting then where's your commitment to being here? To putting down roots? And surely it's better to acquire the value in your property yourself and know that you can make your house a real home? I wouldn't have rented in the UK. NZ is now home so why rent here and make someone else rich?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:27 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Rather a sweeping statement? Surely it depends on which part of the business cycle you either rent or buy?
I'd suggest at this time (late in the cycle if it conforms to norm) it may be wiser to rent and wait to buy.
Of course if you're knocking on a bit you may never see the long term advantages of buying no matter when you buy.
Could be right since we only have a 30 year mortgage at $148 per week, which is $60 and 20 years more than we were paying for our last place. Given the rent would most likely be $180 per week off season and $600 during the winter season. Kind of made sense to us that buying was better that plus the house prices in the last 5 years leapt in value 250% and since we purchased another 30%

Given the Kiwi mentality is to own a house a batch and a investment property minimum then it made sense to us to buy. Crazy thing is I know of people who rent and own their own house elsewhere.

Kind of jump on the ladder before it gets out of reach philosphy which we had all ready missed as first time buyers in the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Dandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Thanks for reading the posts i think one mentioned wanting to buy a pool and the above one goes on about rent and as for my wifes salary i think that was in a salary post but as i've never thought about its context i can't remember when that was posted.

We chose NZ because we've wanted to try somewhere other than the UK for a long time and NZ fitted the bill. I don't care a jot about what others have or do not we just want to rent a nice house for the family to live in and have nice things for us to use and enjoy (the kids like swimming so want a pool) its got diddly squat to do with who has it and quite frankly i'll buy if we can afford it irrespective of what anyone thinks.

We're trying a different country but that doesn't mean i don't still want nice things be that cars as i love driving,houses for the family to live,pool to swim in or whatever....

Wanting or having those things are in no way at all to make anyone jealous but if someone feels jealousy then thats not our problem........

Whats wrong with choosing NZ but still wanting nice things for your family to enjoy?
I asked cos NZ generally isn't a materialistic place. Like I said before, it's more about the people and community spirit and a lot of others emigrate here to escape the rat race and the constant banging on by others about what they've got. The balance was all wrong and a lot of caring and sharing went by the by. NZ has that (least outside of Auckland ). And you do mention rather a lot what you have so I just wondered why you'd wanna live in a country that holds no value for that way of thinking. I didn't say your wife shouldn't provide nice things for the family with her salary. I just wondered why on nearly every thread you say how loaded you are. Simple as.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

FishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really nice

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Could be right since we only have a 30 year mortgage at $148 per week, which is $60 and 20 years more than we were paying for our last place. Given the rent would most likely be $180 per week off season and $600 during the winter season. Kind of made sense to us that buying was better that plus the house prices in the last 5 years leapt in value 250% and since we purchased another 30%

Given the Kiwi mentality is to own a house a batch and a investment property minimum then it made sense to us to buy. Crazy thing is I know of people who rent and own their own house elsewhere.

Kind of jump on the ladder before it gets out of reach philosphy which we had all ready missed as first time buyers in the UK.
But your initial argument "renting never pays" was generic and you're now backing up your statement by quoting a specific example of buying at the bottom of the business cycle- how would renting/buying stack up now?

Last edited by FishermansFriend; Aug 26th 2007 at 11:40 am.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:39 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a pool, haven't used it yet and it is to be fair only the size of a puddle - but we hope come the summer the kids will love it.

That is exactly one of the reasons we chose NZ, we could never have had (and let's be honest, probably would never have used because of the crap weather) a pool in the UK.

Come on kids, stop squabbling and let's try and play nicely ...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't say your wife shouldn't provide nice things for the family with her salary. I just wondered why on nearly every thread you say how loaded you are. Simple as.
Can't ever remember saying how loaded we are (i wish) but if you get that impression by the posts i've made and they offend or affect you in particular then sorry.

I don't agree with your post in that i think there's plenty of Kiwis who want nice things and go out and buy them and there's also Kiwis with money who are materialistic.....whether you choose to do so or be so is a personal choice.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:54 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Never really gave this a second thought but I guess been around Kiwis to long not to brag We have a Spa Pool but we never use it

I question the rates put on my property because our area is declining and Property Investors are moving into it. Therefore why should I help line the pockets of the people that the council claims demonstartes confidence in the area who are putting out of reach the homes for those that show confidence in the area by putting down those roots.
We (my area) are also subsiding in our rates the very employer that are supposedly bring these investors to the area, but there is no encouragement from that employer to hire the people who settled in the area prefering to support the ones that rent off of these property speculators.

We dont have a sewage system or road side rubbish collection, public Transport but still pay over $1500 per year for those Rates and nearer to $2000 if we had Sewarage or Rubbish collections.

Either way Renting would be lining these investors pockets, subsequantly making the area less stable maybe.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:00 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

I for one have never seen the advantage in renting and lining someone else's pocket.
The difference between rents and prices is now so extreme that if you do the sums you are usually taking money out of someone else's pockets, especially if you price in risk. At today's interest rates our rental is subsidised by our landlord, and indirectly by the government through tax breaks, at a time when the risk of a fall in house prices is increasing significantly, and meanwhile we're getting 8% interest on what would be tied up in a house. So it's really a pretty good time to be renting.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:01 pm
Banned

But your initial argument "renting never pays" was generic and you're now backing up your statement by quoting a specific example of buying at the bottom of the business cycle- how would renting/buying stack up now?
Wher did I write "renting never pays"? I said it was dead money meaning it has no future capital investment.

I dont see it either as "buying at the bottom of the business cycle" its a home not a business. Give that someday its a investment that would be handed down to my daughter and maybe help her buy a house one day or at least pay off her own homeloan.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
The difference between rents and prices is now so extreme that if you do the sums you are usually taking money out of someone else's pockets, especially if you price in risk. At today's interest rates our rental is subsidised by our landlord, and indirectly by the government through tax breaks, at a time when the risk of a fall in house prices is increasing significantly, and meanwhile we're getting 8% interest on what would be tied up in a house. So it's really a pretty good time to be renting.
Like I said that would depend on where you are renting, given that a landlord may be losing money they may also be inclined to sell on that risk knowing that the property has gained value or to consolidate their loses.

They sell what happens to you home? Simple you lose it because your nothing but a $ sign to them.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:09 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

They sell what happens to you home? Simple you lose it because your nothing but a $ sign to them.
We work on overlapping 12-month fixed-term contracts so we have that much security of tenure, and our house is the landlord's own so it's a bit less likely to be sold. But it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was, after all we have moved halfway across the world so we can move a few streets over pretty easily and still have a home.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:11 pm
Banned

We work on overlapping 12-month fixed-term contracts so we have that much security of tenure, and our house is the landlord's own so it's a bit less likely to be sold. But it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was, after all we have moved halfway across the world so we can move a few streets over pretty easily and still have a home.
In other words your not a permanant resident so you have no fixed future plans.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:18 pm
Memetchi

In other words your not a permanant resident so you have no fixed future plans.
Sure am and sure do, just don't need to buy a pile of boards and nails to prove it.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was just about to say a similar thing.....

Not looked yet as to how protectable your tenancy is if someone decides to sell but its on the list of things to research this week. Like you we will be going for 12month agreements and assuming we get the house we want (pet issues) the house is the landlords own house and they've given a date for their return from canada to NZ (2010).

Home is what you make it i guess and for us its where we and all our stuff is and that doesn't matter if the house belongs to someone else. Ultimately for a long time most peoples houses belong to someone else its the bank

We do intend to own our own house here but want to build and as above i just don't think now is a good time to buy......

May be swung if the 100% perfect plot comes our way but even then i think we'd rent and wait to build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.