Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ramblings from a happy clapper

Ramblings from a happy clapper

Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:42 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ramblings from a happy clapper

It really seems a bit drab and dismal recently and fresh off a trip 'home' I thought I'd wax a bit lyrical

My life here is awfully simple. I work pretty long hours in relation to the 37 hour week in Ireland - I'm usually at my desk by 7.25am, no lunch hour and seldom leave before 5. I also very rarely work past 5. I'm a PA for a real estate company and for the first time in my life I love the content of what I'm doing. Secretaries tend not to think too closely about the company they're going to work for when they accept a job - it's mostly about the salary - true???? Same ol' same ol'. Well - with real estate it's not like that - you do get emotionally involved with your job especially when you really love a house and can't understand why nobody's buying it!

I've realised that unless you miss your family so much you can't bear it, being away is not that much of a problem. I cried buckets when I left and it was awfully intense for a couple of days - but then it stopped. It was when I'd spoken to my sister and realised that she was ok - she'd been really upset when I left - and I know now that most of my 'homesickness' is guilt that my family want me with them and I'm not - and, the awful bit, I don't want to be. If I did, I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, I did say ramblings

Had a big get together last weekend for my friend's mother's 84th birthday so we're all saying that we want this weekend for ourselves. I want to walk along Takapuna Beach at some stage - no idea why it has to be that particular beach but it just has!

I walked home this evening from the bus stop and all the way down the road I was assaulted by bird song I was! They were everywhere! The sun was shining too and the tide was in and I had one of those 'I'm lucky' moments.

Good news today - the election was announced! God bless John Key - he's my mate on Facebook

Horrible news about the policeman being shot in South Auckland but there's no getting away from the fact that people still think they're insulated because it was 'SOUTH Auckland'. They've got to cop on and realise that it will spread if it's not clamped down on.

Had a funny incident on the bus this evening - an Asian girl had her shopping on the seat beside her - I asked her to move it so I could sit down and she moved one bag of groceries but left the bag with the plastic lunch boxes between us - I spent 15 minutes trying NOT to fall out of my seat when we went around left hand corners She never noticed

I'm wondering if the penalty we'd pay on changing our mortgage would be wiped out by the lower interest rate we'd pay with Kiwibank.

Will never let my husband go shopping on his own again. He had a list - which seemingly was for suggestion only. He spent about $50 more than I would have.

Be careful when you're signing up for a life policy - if you go index-linked you'll be hit with a big increase every year - it's been about $20 a year every year since we signed up - I'm going to try to get us out of this year but don't know if I can!

A great book to read - Kiwis Might Fly by Polly Evans. She's an English girl who travelled the country on a motorbike in an endeavour to find the 'true Kiwi bloke' - it's really good and quite valuable as a history lesson.

Back from 'home' for over a week now and the sadness was gone a few days ago and today I got that little bubble of happiness in my stomach - I had missed it. i'm so glad to be back! It's Friday, the forecast is good for the weekend and I'm looking forward to doing stuff in the garden. The Warriors are going to beat the Storm and the ABs will do the same with Australia and I'm really, really glad to be really home
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramblings from a happy clapper

Originally Posted by Batty

Be careful when you're signing up for a life policy - if you go index-linked you'll be hit with a big increase every year - it's been about $20 a year every year since we signed up - I'm going to try to get us out of this year but don't know if I can!

At last, something I know about!

If the insurance is index-linked, I doubt you are getting a big increase each year - it will be most likely around 3% or 4% of both the sum insured and the premium.

Most likely this is an optional increase which you can opt out of if you tell the company.

Whats probably happening is that your policy is "yearly renewable" as well, which means that the premium rate increases each year due to the insured person being older and more of a risk.
This issue is more likely to be causing a significant increase, particularly for older persons. You probably cant do anything about this, except reduce the sum insured or cancel the policy completely.

Personally, I dont like Yearly Renewable policies as when you really need them (when you are older) you cant afford them. But they are very popular with insurance companies cos they appear cheap when they are first sold.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

It really seems a bit drab and dismal recently and fresh off a trip 'home' I thought I'd wax a bit lyrical

My life here is awfully simple. I work pretty long hours in relation to the 37 hour week in Ireland - I'm usually at my desk by 7.25am, no lunch hour and seldom leave before 5. I also very rarely work past 5. I'm a PA for a real estate company and for the first time in my life I love the content of what I'm doing. Secretaries tend not to think too closely about the company they're going to work for when they accept a job - it's mostly about the salary - true???? Same ol' same ol'. Well - with real estate it's not like that - you do get emotionally involved with your job especially when you really love a house and can't understand why nobody's buying it!

I've realised that unless you miss your family so much you can't bear it, being away is not that much of a problem. I cried buckets when I left and it was awfully intense for a couple of days - but then it stopped. It was when I'd spoken to my sister and realised that she was ok - she'd been really upset when I left - and I know now that most of my 'homesickness' is guilt that my family want me with them and I'm not - and, the awful bit, I don't want to be. If I did, I wouldn't be here.

Had a big get together last weekend for my friend's mother's 84th birthday so we're all saying that we want this weekend for ourselves. I want to walk along Takapuna Beach at some stage - no idea why it has to be that particular beach but it just has!

I walked home this evening from the bus stop and all the way down the road I was assaulted by bird song I was! They were everywhere! The sun was shining too and the tide was in and I had one of those 'I'm lucky' moments.

Good news today - the election was announced! God bless John Key - he's my mate on Facebook

Horrible news about the policeman being shot in South Auckland but there's no getting away from the fact that people still think they're insulated because it was 'SOUTH Auckland'. They've got to cop on and realise that it will spread if it's not clamped down on.

Had a funny incident on the bus this evening - an Asian girl had her shopping on the seat beside her - I asked her to move it so I could sit down and she moved one bag of groceries but left the bag with the plastic lunch boxes between us - I spent 15 minutes trying NOT to fall out of my seat when we went around left hand corners She never noticed

I'm wondering if the penalty we'd pay on changing our mortgage would be wiped out by the lower interest rate we'd pay with Kiwibank.

Will never let my husband go shopping on his own again. He had a list - which seemingly was for suggestion only. He spent about $50 more than I would have.

A great book to read - Kiwis Might Fly by Polly Evans. She's an English girl who travelled the country on a motorbike in an endeavour to find the 'true Kiwi bloke' - it's really good and quite valuable as a history lesson.

Back from 'home' for over a week now and the sadness was gone a few days ago and today I got that little bubble of happiness in my stomach - I had missed it. i'm so glad to be back! It's Friday, the forecast is good for the weekend and I'm looking forward to doing stuff in the garden. The Warriors are going to beat the Storm and the ABs will do the same with Australia and I'm really, really glad to be really home
Are u being serious or is this a wind up?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:25 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Nah, it was just a few thoughts on living here because being out of the country for two weeks makes it feel a bit new again.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:28 pm
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Browner_
At last, something I know about!

If the insurance is index-linked, I doubt you are getting a big increase each year - it will be most likely around 3% or 4% of both the sum insured and the premium.

Most likely this is an optional increase which you can opt out of if you tell the company.

Whats probably happening is that your policy is "yearly renewable" as well, which means that the premium rate increases each year due to the insured person being older and more of a risk.
This issue is more likely to be causing a significant increase, particularly for older persons. You probably cant do anything about this, except reduce the sum insured or cancel the policy completely.

Personally, I dont like Yearly Renewable policies as when you really need them (when you are older) you cant afford them. But they are very popular with insurance companies cos they appear cheap when they are first sold.
Thanks for that. I've been checking out a few other companies but tbh they all seem much of a muchness. I couldn't understand why there was such a jump when (as far as I knew) we'd agreed to a 5% increase - it makes sense now.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:44 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

What a lovely post - I'm sure it makes a difference coming home to it all after you've been away. I haven't left NZ since I arrived and really don't want to, I'd miss it too much and feel it's too soon.

We have a lovely sunny day here and I'd challenged Hubby and the kids to a game of frisbee with the dogs down on the beach. Thought it would be a fun, family thing to do. Instead the eldest has sodded off in her car, the 13 year old has gone shopping with mates, the 9 year old is at a party and Hubby's off to golf. Just me and the 5 year old then!!

Enjoy your weekend and nothing wrong with loving where you are. Many of us do!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Love your post, thank you.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:27 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Good work Batty !....great post.....glad you enjoy being back....and i fully understand why it had to be Takapuna beach.....awesome......
Go the AB's..

Big Al
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Go John Key, he's my mate on FB too
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Yeah especially the John Key bit - agree about the birdsong though..I even see Tuis on the trees in my garden. Exotic Kiwi sounds..the crickets'll be back soon too I expect.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:14 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Batty! nice to have you back.... loved this thank you!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

I love Batty's ramblings... very similar to my own... I'll be working in the garden too to try and keep the house presentable for it's sale... still no interest and we've dropped the price too

I love catching sight of acres and acres of blue, blue sky and thinking "this is so cool". I love it! Much more inspiring than the constant overcast I remember from the UK.

No dog shows this weekend, but next weekend will see me at Ardmore (just south of Auckland), running across a field, screaming commands to a loopy Huntaway cross