Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

questions, questions and more questions

questions, questions and more questions

Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future
Default questions, questions and more questions

Hi everone

Just making a quick visit. I have an electifying question for you
wher do I buy electic plugs? I've been to 4 shops today and not ome electic plug to be had. Where do I go to buy several? I will be in Hamilton shortly where I hope to be reunited with all those things I sent to NZ, but all will need new plugs, so PLEASE can anyone tell me where I can buy them????

Joanna D
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:53 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions, questions and more questions

Originally Posted by JoannaD
Hi everone

wher do I buy electic plugs? I've been to 4 shops today and not ome electic plug to be had. Where do I go to buy several? I will be in Hamilton shortly where I hope to be reunited with all those things I sent to NZ, but all will need new plugs, so PLEASE can anyone tell me where I can buy them????

Joanna D
we got loads from the warehouse ( are these ones to put on your uk stuff??) They're about $3.00 or pak n save had them too. They're a wee bit fiddly to change, but I like a challenge.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 4:39 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: questions, questions and more questions

Hi everone

Joanna D

Has to be The Warehouse The Warehouse where everyone gets a bargain.

Just don't try and invoke their money back guarantee.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

glennf is on a distinguished road

Hi everone

Joanna D
Joanna,

Bunnings Warehouse is also good for electrical stuff. I assume you are already here so this is probably too late for you but for all those who are still to leave the Uk I saw an excellent tip on this forum before we moved out here. Bring several (we brought 10) UK extension leads with multi sockets. Then when you get here you only have to change the plug on the extension lead which allows you to plug in all your UK appliances without changing the plugs. Like you I have found the NZ plugs very fiddly and still silently hank whoever posted that tip. It's especially useful if you have small electrical goods that use a transformer or charger where the 3 pins are moulded into the body of the kit. The only other way to get round that problem is to buy kiwi tracel adaptors which are about $15 each! Cheapest extension leads were at B&Q or IKEA (£2.99 for a 4 plug lead) ideal where you have got TV Hi-fi, Computer kit etc.

Glennf
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:36 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glennf
Joanna,

Bunnings Warehouse is also good for electrical stuff. I assume you are already here so this is probably too late for you but for all those who are still to leave the Uk I saw an excellent tip on this forum before we moved out here. Bring several (we brought 10) UK extension leads with multi sockets. Then when you get here you only have to change the plug on the extension lead which allows you to plug in all your UK appliances without changing the plugs. Like you I have found the NZ plugs very fiddly and still silently hank whoever posted that tip. It's especially useful if you have small electrical goods that use a transformer or charger where the 3 pins are moulded into the body of the kit. The only other way to get round that problem is to buy kiwi tracel adaptors which are about $15 each! Cheapest extension leads were at B&Q or IKEA (£2.99 for a 4 plug lead) ideal where you have got TV Hi-fi, Computer kit etc.

Glennf
Does it affect your household insurance if you use the extension leads though? I thought I read somewhere that it might.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Another handy tip:

As and when new appliances become defunct due to use in NZ save the power leads that are provided with the appliance, simply transfer those to the PoMMie bits you have bought over.

Alternatively if you happen to know someone who works in the IT industry as then if they have any power leads going spare (my company throws away several dozen every 6 months or so) and gradually change all the power leads over.

Can’t say I know about the insurance bits, suggest you check the policy fine print.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:09 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Another handy tip:

As and when new appliances become defunct due to use in NZ save the power leads that are provided with the appliance, simply transfer those to the PoMMie bits you have bought over.

Alternatively if you happen to know someone who works in the IT industry as then if they have any power leads going spare (my company throws away several dozen every 6 months or so) and gradually change all the power leads over.

Can’t say I know about the insurance bits, suggest you check the policy fine print.
Oi! Thought you were off to Oz!!! Better change all those power leads again!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Buzzy—Bee and a happy New Year to you.

Correct we are off to Oz, contract pending, but I think Oz and NZ use the same type of plugs, anyone on the forum confirm this supposition?
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Correct we are off to Oz, contract pending, but I think Oz and NZ use the same type of plugs, anyone on the forum confirm this supposition?

And a happy new year to you too. Maybe ask on the Oz forum too? By the way, it is illegal for you to change your own plugs in Oz, you are supposed to get an electrician to do it. But you can buy the plugs in shops. So guess what all us Brits do....... Don't tell the ozzies though - they'll dob you in.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Yes they do.........
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Herdsman will become famous soon enoughHerdsman will become famous soon enough

Hi everone

Joanna D
They GOTTA have them in Dick Smith's. or The Warehouse. It took me ages to find them too, but I can't remember where I did find them. They are absolute BUGGERS to put on.