Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question: Are there any figures on divorce rates for EXpats in NZ.

Question: Are there any figures on divorce rates for EXpats in NZ.

Old May 30th 2007, 8:26 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about
Question Question: Are there any figures on divorce rates for EXpats in NZ.

or other expat communites?

Would you say that per 1000 there are more divorces between British couples in the UK or UK expats in NZ?
Old May 30th 2007, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question: Are there any figures on divorce rates for EXpats in NZ.

Mate you crack me up, where the hell did this one come from? Of all the questions I would ask about my move to NZ, the chances of my marriage surviving was not up there with shipping the dog and cost of insurance.

Still, if no one replies there may be a research project in it for someone to get a load of cash..........ahem funding.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:05 pm
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

the day I get married is the day, well it will be a strange one.

Just something I was thinking about for a number of reasons.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:20 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz

Would you say that per 1000 there are more divorces between British couples in the UK or UK expats in NZ?
There's only abut 200,000 British people living in NZ in total so I'm not sure how valid any statistical comparison might be.

The winters tend to keep people together....
Old May 30th 2007, 12:22 pm
Fight for the republic.

ok avid,

have you had a different username on here BTW.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:32 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

ok avid,

have you had a different username on here BTW.
No. Just this one. Have there been many 'very slightly camp blokes from Tokyo' on the NZ forum since it started?
Old May 30th 2007, 11:17 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah - it brings people together! There have been countless times when it has only been MrP2 who has got the bloody joke! Who else knows about real important stuff from our childhood..............like kids tv from the 70s and stuff we wasted our pocket money on!
Old May 31st 2007, 11:18 am
Fight for the republic.

Originally Posted by Avid
No. Just this one. Have there been many 'very slightly camp blokes from Tokyo' on the NZ forum since it started?
cool you just remnded me of someone else.
Old May 31st 2007, 11:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

our friend a psychologist ex-pat quoted some "horrendous" (she said) statistics regarding relationship breakdown and ex-pats but I cant remember off the top of my head what it was.......I'd suggest that its bound to be elevated compared to the stay at home, couch potato folks.......in fact there were some documentaries on in NZ when we arrived showing the trials and tribulations of being a new migrant. Many families are going to find it hard/stressful at some point and that will make breakdown more prevailent IMHO.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

4 of my sons friends & 3 of my daughters friends (all expats) have a mother or father now back in the UK after divorce. 2 of the builders who worked on the drive at our rental were expats & both divorced. So of all expats we have personally met 90% are divorced!!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We are not divorced but I still object to the male sock thing.

Trying to keep socks on in bed when cold.
Stinky socks rolled up into each other in the wash basket.
Throw one sock away when cannot find the other.

I did think that being in NZ would eliminate a lot of this, us lot not wearing our shoes plus the low cost of jandals but oh no.

Stressville.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Perhaps it's harder if you move and only one of you can work straight away. It can be difficult to break into new social groups to begin with when you feel unsettled and you have very little in common with the locals (or so you think). I would imagine after reading the posts about the cost of living and lack of disposable income, that would also apply pressure and potentially create isolation. It's certainly something we'll have to be aware of.

Of the group of 15 or so couples we used to hang around with before we got married, we're the only ones still together. So perhaps for some couples, the move just intensifies issues that are already there.