Reload this Page >

Question regarding annual holiday allocation in NZ

Question regarding annual holiday allocation in NZ

Old Nov 30th 2005, 2:14 pm
Currently in NZ

Stu75 is on a distinguished road
Default Question regarding annual holiday allocation in NZ

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the forums but have found some very useful information. My wife and I are currently in the early stages of planning to move out to NZ.

I was just wondering what the average yearly holiday allocation is over in New Zealand ?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Question regarding annual holiday allocation in NZ

Originally Posted by Stu75
Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the forums but have found some very useful information. My wife and I are currently in the early stages of planning to move out to NZ.

I was just wondering what the average yearly holiday allocation is over in New Zealand ?

Thanks.
3 weeks right now minimum, some jobs offer 4. In 2007 will become 4 weeks minimum.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:56 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding annual holiday allocation in NZ

Generally speaking, and in my experience, it's 15 days although some companies do make you wait a year before being entitled to that! Check any contract very carefully...
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

Thanks.
My wife and I both got 20 work days (ie 4 weeks). This will become the minimum in 2007? i think.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

I got 4 weeks plus the option to "work from home"
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
I got 4 weeks plus the option to "work from home"
My husband gets 15 days,after 1 year of working!!!! but because he is doing loads of overtime ( unpaid as he is a manager ) he will be allowed to take some before this ( great eh ) sickness entitlement is 10 days,after 6 months work...His contract also means that he has to stay in the job for 6 months...so not able to look for another job within this period....so its not easy to move up to better paid jobs either quickly or easily....and then if he does change... he will have to start the whole process off again, of waiting a year for holiday etc....
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Strange question for a newbie in the process and thrall of emigrating. Where are you with NZIS or NZQA? How is the EOI . Have you got PR.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:14 am
Banned

Power will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by melting pot
My husband gets 15 days,after 1 year of working!!!! but because he is doing loads of overtime ( unpaid as he is a manager ) he will be allowed to take some before this ( great eh ) sickness entitlement is 10 days,after 6 months work...His contract also means that he has to stay in the job for 6 months...so not able to look for another job within this period....so its not easy to move up to better paid jobs either quickly or easily....and then if he does change... he will have to start the whole process off again, of waiting a year for holiday etc....

That's the same as us, no holiday entitlement whatsoever for 12 months.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:47 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

{{{{{{Power}}}}}}
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:55 am
Currently in NZ

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Cheers !

Originally Posted by Apollo10
Strange question for a newbie in the process and thrall of emigrating. Where are you with NZIS or NZQA? How is the EOI .
Have you got PR.
We've just completed our EOI. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible so that we don't move out there and be totally shocked by the change in work-life. You can never have enough information too early !
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by melting pot

Just to add to this, he has now asked if he could take a day or 2 A/L and the answer was yes.....unpaid...!!! so all that extra work he has done...for nothing.....Happy Christmas Eh !!!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:56 pm
`

We've just completed our EOI. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible so that we don't move out there and be totally shocked by the change in work-life. You can never have enough information too early !
You have my apologies . Have some Karma.

I take it you are coming out without a job offer then. What work will you be looking to do? You'll get a better insight into your future working life if you can hook up with someone in the same line of biz.

The norm is 15 days paid holiday. 5 days paid sick leave and a couple for compassionate leave. There are also the statute holidays.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:37 am
Currently in NZ

You have my apologies . Have some Karma.

I take it you are coming out without a job offer then. What work will you be looking to do? You'll get a better insight into your future working life if you can hook up with someone in the same line of biz.

The norm is 15 days paid holiday. 5 days paid sick leave and a couple for compassionate leave. There are also the statute holidays.
Unfortunately most (if not all) of the jobs I have been looking to apply for require a current Visa

I've been working in IT for 11 years and the particular field I work in is listed in the "Long Term Skill Shortage List", so hopefully that will help me gain a few extra points on the EOI.

The missus and I went out for a reccy mission to NZ in October and completley fell in love with the country. We are very realistic about the reduction of disposable income we will have but are still not put off the idea of moving over. Fortunately we also have a few friends dotted around the North Island so this may come in handy at some point.

Cheers for the info.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:56 am
`

Unfortunately most (if not all) of the jobs I have been looking to apply for require a current Visa

Cheers for the info.
NO NO NO.

Its a job offer from the employer first. Then a work visa. It is never the other way around.

Go back to potential employers and educate them. They need to send you a job offer and a full time long term contract. Then you apply for the visa or whatever.

Phew. Worn out. That old chestnit still arising.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:59 am
Currently in NZ

NO NO NO.

Its a job offer from the employer first. Then a work visa. It is never the other way around.

Go back to potential employers and educate them. They need to send you a job offer and a full time long term contract. Then you apply for the visa or whatever.

Phew. Worn out. That old chestnit still arising.
Ah right. It's just that all of the job apps mention that a valid Visa must be held before applying. I'll mention this fact to them from now on.

It did seem quite odd that a Visa was required before getting a job offer. Cheers again Apollo10.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.