Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question for recent arrrivals

Question for recent arrrivals

Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for recent arrrivals

Hi,

Is there anyone who has emigrated to New Zealand without first visiting? We want to go on a reccie but can't really afford it at the moment.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for recent arrrivals

We are going 29th June without doing a reccie. Had planned on going for a holiday but when we priced it felt that money could do more for us living there. Also felt that would not get a true feeling of day to day life from a holiday trip. However,know of some folks who felt it helped them to do just that. Each to their own

Phyl x
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We did a 2 week recce but only because OH had interviews and they wanted to meet him. Otherwise we would have come out without visiting first. Obviously its an expense we could have done without and also you won't get a real feel for the place in such a short time. It's not until you are day to day living here that you really get the feel for it. We have been here almost 6months and we absolutely love it.

Also we were told that 60% of those who emigrate to NZ have never visited first.

Just make sure you do plenty of research and you will get good information from this site too.

Good luck.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite a recent arrivalee but we've been here 20 months now and we turned up with 3 kids and our suitcases without stepping foot in the place prior. I'm still learning things about NZ everyday so I don't think a recce is necessary.

Good Luck
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Hi,

Is there anyone who has emigrated to New Zealand without first visiting? We want to go on a reccie but can't really afford it at the moment.
Not the Perry Groves?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice

We did, planned for reccie gladly job offer came first.I am sure there is planty just arrived

D
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:11 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I’d been here for two previous trips but they were 15 years ago and only for a day or so and for work (we lived in Sydney). I didn’t see much of the place.

My OH has never been but was the main driving force for us to come! In fact she still isn’t here as she’s waiting for our eldest to finish exams this June…

…so I arrived with a job and a visa…but nothing and no-one else….

…and it’s been truly brilliant. I’ve met the nicest people and think Wellington is almost perfect …

…my tip – keep a positive attitude no matter what happens and ‘it’ll be sweet’

Some times it’s a case of JFDI (Just flipping do it!)
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

My wife and I arrived in October without being here before
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of

We have been here for 2 weeks, but we did do a recci back in June to have a good luck round and for OH to have interviews. Visited 3 different areas, all very different and I personally could not have come over without selecting the area we want to live, but we do have children so that throws schooling etc into the decision pot.

Not sure if that helps or not, but I would recommend a visit first to make sure it is what you want as it is not a cheap exercise to pack up and come over here. Having said that I am sure it is going to be worth it.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

nzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the rough

We also arrived here with 3 kids and our suitcases without stepping foot in the place prior. It was 4 years ago, but we have met quite a few new arrivals since who did the same and have the same thoughts as us. We are certain that it would have not made any difference if we did a reccie beforehand.
Ang
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

We did a 3 week reccie last April...although it was more of a holiday with looking at some houses, didn't look for jobs or anything like that until we got back to the UK!

However, me & the kids would have been quite happy to emigrate without visiting first, although the OH said he didn't want to move to the other side of the world without seeing it for himself!

We visited & he loved it! Hence we fly out on the 14th Feb!!

It can be possible to arrive without the reccie trip first, but make sure you do loads of research before you decide on which area you want to live...you dont want to get here & end up hating NZ just because you've chosen an area not suitable for you & your family! If you choose the right area you'll love it!!

Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt do a reccie.... been here over 3 and a half years now... love it here!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

We'd never been here before we came. I don't really think reccies work all that well as the circumstances of being a permanent resident are different to being a visitor. And, if you are serious about settling into a place you really have to give it a fair amount of time and you can't do that on a visit.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

ROADYS is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep us too, can't believe it was over 5 years ago now, standing on a wet Auckland runway with 3 tired green kids, 8 cases and a sense of what the hell do we do now?, never been here before, very exciting, great adventure, loved the ups and downs, havn't looked back, living on the South Island. Think a reccie would have spoilt all that for us!!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I had been to NZ about 4 times before I came to live....living here is totally different to being on holiday here. I love it, highly recommend it! Take the plunge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.