Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Quality of NZ Health

Quality of NZ Health

Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:31 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quality of NZ Health

Have recently experienced urgent doctors (own GP didn't have a surgery on day in question and no other dr at centre available), emergency department, and hospital inpatients. Apart from the usual delays in being seen at urgent doctors and ED, can't really fault the service or care. Consultant was really good and explained everything and didn't let other departments keep us hanging around for tests (she basically told them that she wanted the tests done that day, no excuses ), as were ward nurses (food was usual hospital crap though ). Don't have private health care, can't afford it.

Have previously been to local private hospital for xray cos didn't think the injury should be left until the public hospital could fit me in (six months wait list there for 'non-urgent' ) - ended up waiting over half an hour past my appointment time (with no explanation or apology), which made me late for another appointment.

Needed physio for a different injury, not under ACC so had to wait for public hospital. Said I was happy to take a short notice cancellation appointment and ended up being seen within a week - would have had to have waited at least a week for private!

Also previously needed to see gyno; didn't want to wait 6 months for public, so paid for private - got an appointment within two weeks, and if an op had been needed she would have got me in ahead of the mere mortals

Am happy enough with my GP (if only he would stop lecturing me on needing to lose weight), certainly not as bad as some I've had in UK; and most of the other docs at that surgery that I've seen have been good - the best, ironically, was their locum who was one of the best docs I've ever had, I used to ask if she was there whenever I made an appointment Saddly she has moved overseas with her hubby and family

From my various experirences, NZ health care is swings and roundabouts - sometimes you get good service, sometimes you don't; and I've had the same in the UK