proveing domicile

Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:32 pm
Banned

markswindowtinting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default proveing domicile

My dad was born born in america which makes him an american citizen but now resides in england.We would like him to sponsor myself and my family but we were told that he would have to move back to america with us but he has no intention of moving back to the states. Is there any way that he could sponsor us without having to move back?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: proveing domicile

Originally Posted by markswindowtinting
My dad was born born in america which makes him an american citizen but now resides in england.We would like him to sponsor myself and my family but we were told that he would have to move back to america with us but he has no intention of moving back to the states. Is there any way that he could sponsor us without having to move back?
No.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can he perhaps qualify to pass his US citizenship down to you, though?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

When was your dad born, when did he move to the US and when were you born?

Just exploring the slim possibility that you may already be American...
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79
When was your dad born, when did he move to the US and when were you born?

Just exploring the slim possibility that you may already be American...
Hobbes, see his other post here, where he describes his dad's circumstances. Dad moved back to the UK when he was 7 and hasn't been back to the USA since.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563642

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:46 pm

Mark, I think we answered this for you in your other thread from September:

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:17 pm
Banned

markswindowtinting is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Mark, I think we answered this for you in your other thread from September:

Rene
thanks for the quick reply, i know ive asked similar question before i so need this opportunity for this visa as im so close to qualifying for the family based visa, would it be worth filing the applications and take small steps to convince domicile and hope for the best?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:19 pm

thanks for the quick reply, i know ive asked similar question before i so need this opportunity for this visa as im so close to qualifying for the family based visa, would it be worth filing the applications and take small steps to convince domicile and hope for the best?
What visa? Immigrant Visa? How do you figure you're so close to qualifying for a visa, when your dad doesn't even qualify to petition for you? Has your dad completed an I-130? What address is he using?

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 30th 2008 at 9:23 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You ask how he can prove US domecile and then say he does not have one and has no intent of getting one.

Wonder if he has been filling in his US Tax forms all these years.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i so need this opportunity for this visa...
You may need the opportunity, but it currently doesn't exist for you. Such is life.

im so close to qualifying for the family based visa...
Umm... not without your dad's cooperation, no - you're not.

Ian
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:49 am
Just Joined

M55RKY is an unknown quantity at this point

hi its mark again i had to change my user name, 1 last question, my dad has relatives in virginia that are willing to provide a letter stating that they will put him up for as long as needed and as they have there own haulage business and can offer a job as well, saying that as well as opening a bank account and property valuation from estate agent back here in the UK, will this be enough to prove intent to re-establish U.S. residence. to act as a sponsor.
the bottom line is my dad will only be able to stay for up to 2 weeks and then return home the the UK leaving me with the relatives in virginia.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by M55RKY
hi its mark again i had to change my user name, 1 last question, my dad has relatives in virginia that are willing to provide a letter stating that they will put him up for as long as needed and as they have there own haulage business and can offer a job as well, saying that as well as opening a bank account and property valuation from estate agent back here in the UK, will this be enough to prove intent to re-establish U.S. residence. to act as a sponsor.
the bottom line is my dad will only be able to stay for up to 2 weeks and then return home the the UK leaving me with the relatives in virginia.
HI Mark, welcome back. I do not think this plan will work. Staying 2 weeks in the USA is not "living in the USA". It's "a short visit to the USA".

And somehow his relatives writing such a letter, when your dad knows he will only be staying 2 weeks, sounds just plain wrong.

Rene
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: proving domicile

Without your dad's cooperation and his willingness to actually *LIVE* in the US, there is *NOTHING* you can do to change your current situation with respect to family-based immigration. You sound desperate... and the only foreseeable outcome in all of this is that you will end up hating your father because he wouldn't inconvenience himself for you! You keep going on about how "close to qualifying" you are when, in fact, you are as far from qualifying as someone who has no US relatives.

My advice - try another method... go back to school.

Ian
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

He would need to stay there for years for it to help, not weeks. Also, if he hasn't filed a tax return every year, which as a US citizen he is required to do, he may find himself in trouble with the IRS. Have you talked to a lawyer about this?