Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The pros & cons of renting equipment

The pros & cons of renting equipment

Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The pros & cons of renting equipment

As suggested by some members of this forum I've had a look at MrRental to see what's available for hire and at what cost.

The only problem is that I come from a culture where you save up for things and only then get them - if you can't afford it, you try to live without (although that's changed in the last 20 years or so, but that's the outlook I grew up with).

So apart from renting a place to live (out of sheer necessity) I've never considered renting anything else as I just think of it as dead money.

I can understand people who arrive with literally nothing whilst their stuff is still being shipped, but if you have a permanent home why would you continue renting equipment instead of buying it outright? Even if you had to put it on the credit card initially - is it not better to pay off the credit card and own the equipment?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The pros & cons of renting equipment

There are of course some people who 'need it now' and often they're the ones that can least afford and don't have the means to pull up a lump sum, can't get credit or perhaps have defaulted and exhausted all other avenues of credit.

Most people on here are talking of short-term rental of necessities to tide them over until the container arrives - not a lifelong commitment to renting the stuff forever.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want the hassle of moving white ware from a short term rental (i.e. 6 months) its probably not such a silly idea
  • Washing Machine
  • Fridge/Freezer
These are probably the two essential items? Microwaves are not essential and you can do without for 6 months?

Our neighbor runs a business doing it in the South East of Auckland. Think its $40 for washing machine and $45 for a fridge freezer per month. He only gets good quality products that last - he brings it too you and takes it away (not sure if he charges for that, but he's a good guy been in business over 20 years)

Our microwave blew out about 9 months ago and we have just gone back to old habits. And wow you see the difference in the power bill.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we rented a washer until our container turned up but do know some people, in the UK as well, who rent as they just change when the newer version comes out.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:55 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
some people, in the UK as well, who rent as they just change when the newer version comes out.
That's what we do with our washing machine. We've never owned a washing machine, we've always rented one, for exactly the reason given above.

It's mostly habit. Renting one is kind of a 'hedge' against expensive repairs.

If we owned a washing machine, I would probably be tempted to keep it for to long because of the cost.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
If you don't want the hassle of moving white ware from a short term rental (i.e. 6 months) its probably not such a silly idea
  • Washing Machine
  • Fridge/Freezer
These are probably the two essential items? Microwaves are not essential and you can do without for 6 months?

Our neighbour runs a business doing it in the South East of Auckland. Think its $40 for washing machine and $45 for a fridge freezer per month. <snip>.
A quick sum says that it comes to $480 a year for a washing machine and $540 a year for a fridge/freezer.

A very quick Google gives
https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/a...rod126331.html
which is $849 (or less than 2 years rental).

It also comes with 30 months interest free finance.

So as long as you expect to be using it for 2 years or more then this seems to be a better choice.

Some top loaders are cheaper, but I think another thread decided front loaders were the way to go.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
A quick sum says that it comes to $480 a year for a washing machine and $540 a year for a fridge/freezer.

A very quick Google gives
https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/a...rod126331.html
which is $849 (or less than 2 years rental).

It also comes with 30 months interest free finance.

So as long as you expect to be using it for 2 years or more then this seems to be a better choice.
Well, most of the washing machines I've owned lasted well beyond the 5 year mark without any breakdowns and as for updating to newer models they're not exactly laptops or phones that become obsolete as soon as you purchase them.

Thank you for doing the maths LittleGreyCat (I'm hopeless at that).
Buying does seem to save money in the long run, although obviously I understand the need to have some interim equipment whilst your container is on the way.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
.... If we owned a washing machine, I would probably be tempted to keep it for to long because of the cost.
"Tempted to keep it too long".

How long is too long? I have bought a number of kitchen and laundry appliances over the years, and only ONE has failed within five years (as an aside I don't believe in extended warranties, and so I am MASSIVELY ahead by not buying warranties). I only stop using an appliance when it stops working, though obviously I left my appliances in the UK when I left.

Our washing machine was bought new in July 2002, and is still working just fine. I think we paid about US$700 for it, so the capital outlay has been less than $5/mth. How is that a bad deal?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to rent, buy the things you need

Its that simple

I don't understand what else there is to discuss

Good grief !!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 12:34 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
If you don't want to rent, buy the things you need

Its that simple

I don't understand what else there is to discuss

Good grief !!
Yeah. But this is British Expats after all, remember !
Old Mar 30th 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Tempted to keep it too long".

How long is too long? I have bought a number of kitchen and laundry appliances over the years, and only ONE has failed within five years (as an aside I don't believe in extended warranties, and so I am MASSIVELY ahead by not buying warranties). I only stop using an appliance when it stops working, though obviously I left my appliances in the UK when I left.

Our washing machine was bought new in July 2002, and is still working just fine. I think we paid about US$700 for it, so the capital outlay has been less than $5/mth. How is that a bad deal?
Um, dunno. Perhaps I should start a whole new thread with that question !

I did remark to my husband how many washing machines we could have purchased over the years with the money we had spent on renting one.

He takes the view that the cost of rent vs buy is neck and neck for washing machines.

I did see the comparison a previous poster had made regarding the calculation. However, like I said, it's habit for us to rent a washing machine.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 12:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... He takes the view that the cost of rent vs buy is neck and neck for washing machines. ....
Sorry, it's not even close.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 1:02 am

Sorry, it's not even close.
Really ? But you don't know how much/little we pay to rent the washing machine. (The icon represents you doing lots of typing Pulaski.)
Old Mar 30th 2016, 2:25 am

Really ? But you don't know how much/little we pay to rent the washing machine. ....
I'd bet a few dollars on it being rather more than the less than $5/month (I referred to in post #8, above) that ours has cost us since we bought it almost 14 years ago.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:33 am

I'd bet a few dollars on it being rather more than the less than $5/month (I referred to in post #8, above) that ours has cost us since we bought it almost 14 years ago.
Is that American dollars or New Zealand dollars ? You will need to factor in the exchange rate.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 30th 2016 at 3:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.