Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Propert / Rental / Jobs

Propert / Rental / Jobs

Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Propert / Rental / Jobs

The only thing I would add is do your research on the University accommodation area's, from memory that is Hamilton East area, I would seriously avoid being on the doorstep of student central!! Chartwell was really nice, and Flagstaff if I'm remembering correctly.

Cambridge is lovely, I remember always being a little bit in love with it as a child when we'd drive through from Tauranga to visit family in Hamilton, it appeared so quaint and pretty
Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Montie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Escapetonz

Thanks for all that info and the congrats :thumbs: Sounds like your mate had a hard time but unfortunately I even do that here and don't have the weather or scenery to be worth it :good post: . I was originally looking at Tauranga but landed a job in Hamilton. I am not to bothered about travelling but I would have to check out what is acceptable with the company as I will have to do on call every 3rd week. I have looked at Cambridge and would probably be my first choice as I would not really want to live in the City as I live on the out skirts here in the UK.

Any info you can give me on Hamilton would be great with places to settle around
about 30km or more? I am willing to travel further of they will let me with it being a company vehicle and the on call thing. Any help and advice would help a lot as you can't find everything out from the UK or the internet.

I also could do with knowing how I sort some accommodation before I arrive or we will all be sleeping on the streets.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lisa Maree

Thanks for that Lisa I am glad it sounds great in Cambridge, but is it good for kids? I would also not like to be way out in the sticks as I would probably loose my sanity

It appears a lot of people are in Tauranga is there a reason for this or something I am missing?

Thanks Montie
Old Apr 6th 2016, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

My aunt moved to Cambridge from Hamilton about five years ago, the kids were 5, 10 and 14yrs, its great for kids in a big village kind of way. Lots of outdoor stuff to do and a day in Hamilton / The Base to get a retail fix, not far to the beach - Google Mount Maunganui to find out one of the big pulls to the Bay of Plenty
Old Apr 6th 2016, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

I will give it a google for sure but it demo sounds positive what your saying about Cambridge
Old Apr 7th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montie
Hi Escapetonz

Thanks for all that info and the congrats :thumbs: Sounds like your mate had a hard time but unfortunately I even do that here and don't have the weather or scenery to be worth it :good post: . I was originally looking at Tauranga but landed a job in Hamilton. I am not to bothered about travelling but I would have to check out what is acceptable with the company as I will have to do on call every 3rd week. I have looked at Cambridge and would probably be my first choice as I would not really want to live in the City as I live on the out skirts here in the UK.

Any info you can give me on Hamilton would be great with places to settle around
about 30km or more? I am willing to travel further of they will let me with it being a company vehicle and the on call thing. Any help and advice would help a lot as you can't find everything out from the UK or the internet.

I also could do with knowing how I sort some accommodation before I arrive or we will all be sleeping on the streets.
No worries. Glad to help all I can.

Yes I suppose it would be a good idea to check what is written in your contract of employment or if not in there, what is written in company policy. You'll be automatically agreeing to all those policies once the contract of employment is signed. I'd be surprised if, for example you have to live within xx KM's of the yard. I'd expect their stance would be live where you want but if you are regularly late and/or takes you ages to get to call outs etc then they have the right to discipline you or even terminate your contract.

Cambridge is a great place for kids. It has good schools and now with the new bypass it at a slower pace with much less traffic which makes it more desirable and safer. It's a town with everything you need but has the feel of a really nice village. There's river walks and rides along the mighty Waikato River, a great kids adventure riding skills park next to the new Avantidrome and it's very close to Lake Karapiro which is great for water sports and gives access to around another 100 KM's of river walking/cycling routes.

Other similar sized towns up to approx. 30 mins away from Hamilton are Te Awamutu, Morrinsville and Matamata. All very similar small farming communities / villages that have expanded over the years. If I had a choice of all four, I'd pick Cambridge but maybe live out Leamington way as it's a bit more semi-rural.
If you wish to remain closer to Hamilton, then look at Rototuna, Rototuna North, Flagstaff, Huntington, Hillcrest, St. Andrews, Pukete, Chartwell, Chedworth Park, Western Heights, Forest Lake and some parts of Glenview.
If you like more semi-rural then look at Matangi, Tamahere, Horsham Downs, Gordonton.
Raglan if you want to be near to a surfing beach and surf dude community but it's a 55 KM commute.

There are a lot of people moving out to Tauranga. It has been the fastest growing city in NZ for a number of years now. It basically offers a similar climate to that of Auckland but benefits from a heck of a lot less people and traffic, the cost of living is (at the moment) cheaper and property (at the moment) is cheaper but it is next door to the best beach resort in NZ - Mount Maunganui. That is the main reason why we chose to live here, so we are near that beach and beach resort. We'd love to be able to actually live in Mount Maunganui, but it's just that little bit too far for my commute. It would add another 15/20 KM's on to my journey each way and may present some traffic at certain times so it was out of the question for us. We are only 15 mins away in the car and go often for walks around the Mount or on the beach with coffee and lunch in one of the many eateries there. It really is a stunning place.
Many many Aucklanders are realising that they can have much more and a much better work/life balance living in Tauranga instead of in Auckland and without the traffic nightmares so many are electing to sell up in Auckland for a massive profit and buy property here in Tauranga, move the family here then continue to work in Auckland during the week and come back home early Friday for the weekend. It's not really commutable there and back in a day - around 2hrs 45mins / 3hrs plus depending on the traffic each way.

Before you do anything about accommodation, have a chat with your new employer. Ask if they offer any relocation package or assistance with finding you some temporary accommodation for first arrival....if you don't ask you won't get!
My new employer offered us a 2 bed apartment in Wellington CBD for 4 weeks just because I asked. We didn't take it in the end because we didn't like where it was right on a main highway when we had a 13 month old child but they then offered to just give us the money so we could find our own place. We rented an old traditional kiwi fully furnished holiday cottage for an 8 week period with that money. It was old - about 60's/70's era but comfortable, warm and had all the hot water and amenities we needed all included - even sky tv and wifi. We paid $725 a week, however, luckily it didn't cost us a cent
If you have to find your own accommodation then I'd advise you to look for a short term fully furnished holiday rental or even a motel. Motel's here are pretty good and can be inexpensive for longer term stays. I assume you'll just be turning up with luggage and your stuff will be shipped over a while after you have arrived ?
Have a look on Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me or www.bookabach.co.nz plus other sites. You shouldn't need to sign any rental contract for these as you'll be just booking for the period you wish to stay and probably paying the deposit online to secure it then the remainder when you check in/view and get the keys.
The time you are in the short termer will allow you to get to grips with the area to help you decide where you do and do not want to be longer term.
You really need to be viewing longer term rentals in person with the family to ensure they are suitable, have no damp, are warm and in a decent neighbourhood. The agents will want to meet you as they will ultimately decide who is offered the property so will wanna know your life story. Be aware that all rentals are usually quoted in $'s per week. Longer term rentals through an agent or landlord will have to be via a tenancy contract that could either be "periodic" or "fixed term". Periodic is month by month but does not give any security as either party can give notice to leave in 1 month. A fixed term does allow some security but you are then locked in for the period of the fixed term. Good idea to have a look on the NZ government websites to get a grip on tenancy rules and regulations for landlords and tenants.
To move in to a longer term rental, you will likely have to pay around 6 x the weekly rental around 1 month or so before you move in and on signing the rental contract. You'll also have to pay a letting fee to the agent, so for example....say the weekly rent is $400, you'll have to pay the equivalent of $1600 or 4 weeks for the "bond". This is lodged with the government as security against damage to the property whilst in your care. You'll then have to pay at least 1 week advance rental so another $400, then you'll have to pay another $400 + GST (15%) as the letting fee, so in total $2460. You'll then have to pay another $400 on the day you move in to maintain the weekly in advance rental payment then pay $400 on the same day each week from then.
When you come to leave the property you apply for the return of the bond in conjunction with your landlord or agent. If there is any damage your landlord or agent will take steps to reduce the bond that is returned to you to cover the costs they have incurred to put any damage right.

Cheers