Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Originally Posted by sky
They don't have to take any notice of me, if they have any intelligence in their heads they would have worked out for themselves that $37k per annum is shite.

i quite agree 37k is not very good but a newly starting prison officer in the north of the UK is not brill too. But thats what we will be new starters. But with experience that we will take incrimental rises along with good promotional prospects within and a small amount of overtime ( nothing severe that would dig into family life to much ) we would be looking at around 47 to 55k which i think is a more realistic target. Im also under no illusion that my partner will have to work with unemployment at only around 3% im sure eventually she will find something.
Emmigrating is not going to be a bed of roses we know but for you guys living in the london end of the UK we have our reasons for giving this ago. I also thankful for the advice negative or positive, but we would be kicking ourselves in a few years time if we did not give this ago. With that in mind it would be nice for people to try and give positive karma and encouragement about our situation as we have weighed up the odds and think its worth a shot so get behind us and try not to go from being negative which is good advice , to putting us down, hopfuly we are on the same team.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:21 am
Banned

Beef Wellington is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MV5555
i quite agree 37k is not very good but a newly starting prison officer in the north of the UK is not brill too. But thats what we will be new starters. But with experience that we will take incrimental rises along with good promotional prospects within and a small amount of overtime ( nothing severe that would dig into family life to much ) we would be looking at around 47 to 55k which i think is a more realistic target. Im also under no illusion that my partner will have to work with unemployment at only around 3% im sure eventually she will find something.
Emmigrating is not going to be a bed of roses we know but for you guys living in the london end of the UK we have our reasons for giving this ago. I also thankful for the advice negative or positive, but we would be kicking ourselves in a few years time if we did not give this ago. With that in mind it would be nice for people to try and give positive karma and encouragement about our situation as we have weighed up the odds and think its worth a shot so get behind us and try not to go from being negative which is good advice , to putting us down, hopfuly we are on the same team.
You are wasting your time trying show a positive attitude to that one mate........... :scared: Take a look at her previous posts if you are brave enough. I managed to read 15 of them before I reached the kitchen drawer with the sharp knives in.
She calls herself "Sky" because she thinks eveyone looks up to her
See you there,
Beef
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Robbo's is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly dont look up to her. Reckon she needs to get a life and stop sitting in front of that computer tappin negative s#-t. Go out, try to meet some friends, the world really isnt that bad.

we're all doomed
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:52 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear I have certainly hit a raw nerve with someone haven't I ... pmsl
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:18 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MV5555
You forgot the one big difference between a crap wage here and a crap wage in NZ.... state handouts or otherwise known as Tax Credits. Also free NHS etc.

I truly wish you all teh best and I do hope that things are a walk in the park for you financially but pls dont be nasty to people like Sky. Unitl you have walked in her shoes and picked yourself up from the shite she has had flung at her dont judge on the postings on this forum.

She has got more balls than some of the people posting on this forum... like to add some of you guys are still in the UK but for some reason you think we are all taking shite. Just dont forget to post me dears with your updates!!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

OK. So its like this -

1. Life in NZ is hard unless you have lots of money - which most of us don't.
There's no NHS, wages are low - the cost of living is high, gang culture is rife, the weather is not as good as the brochures would have you believe and, all-in-all, Australia is a far better place to be.

2. Life in the UK is hard unless you have lots of money - which most of us don't. There's no such thing as an NHS dentist, if you want to find out what's wrong with you before it kills you, don't bother with the NHS, go private (if you have the money...), wages are better than NZ - but the cost of living is higher, gang culture is rife, the weather is worse than the brochures would have you believe and, all-in-all, Australia is a far better place to be.

Let's just imagine that the above statements are givens. Lets put a thread to that effect as a sticky at the top of the list and anybody who wants to argue these points can go there. This is a vain desire to stop every thread degenerating in to a 'my country's worse than your country' argument, which, in turn, degenerates in to a 'well blah-blah smells of wee' type argument. If I want a discussion along those intellectual lines, I will call my five year-old son 'pooey-pants' and let the insult calling progress from there.

The points made about the hardships faced by anyone emigrating to New Zealand are very welcome and my heart goes out to those who have suffered in the process of trying to find a better life for yourselves and your families (as all of us are trying to do). Thanks for the warnings - you have certainly made me think long and hard about why I want to leave the UK and if I want to leave at all...

What started out as a superb thread (and karma to Den13 for it) has, once again degenerated. I don't have time to read through all 16 pages of thread to find the good bits, so if the post that you are going to put up is a) rude about someone, b) bitter and twisted or c) makes a point that you have already made ten times before, then please ask yourself if it is going to make a constructive contribution to the thread - if it isn't, then think again pooey-pants.

Right, whinge over, as you were, stand easy.

SFB.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:35 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

We can't all agree, however please be respectful of other peoples feelings and be careful how you word replies. I don't want to close another thread.

Sue
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

... sorry, just seen the 'lets have a moan' thread by Beefy - off to air my views on there...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Sue,

I did think very carefully how I worded my reply. It was not my intention to insult anybody, just to have a moan at the waste of time and effort that goes in to some of these posts...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:58 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't referring to your reply, but to other users who have resorted to name calling and petty remarks.........feel like I'm back in school

Originally Posted by shortfatbloke
Sue,

I did think very carefully how I worded my reply. It was not my intention to insult anybody, just to have a moan at the waste of time and effort that goes in to some of these posts...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Yup!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scottish
You forgot the one big difference between a crap wage here and a crap wage in NZ.... state handouts or otherwise known as Tax Credits. Also free NHS etc.

I truly wish you all teh best and I do hope that things are a walk in the park for you financially but pls dont be nasty to people like Sky. Unitl you have walked in her shoes and picked yourself up from the shite she has had flung at her dont judge on the postings on this forum.

She has got more balls than some of the people posting on this forum... like to add some of you guys are still in the UK but for some reason you think we are all taking shite. Just dont forget to post me dears with your updates!!
hi im in new zealand been here for over 6 weeks i think, and i did it all alone, pitched up in new zealand and noone knew me, just another pom.

Now i have a circle of friends, all kiwis, have had more bbqs and ivites than i can shake a stick at, and have never had such an active social life.

Yeah im not rich here in money but am in quality of life. Im a nurse and here i can rent my own place, live comfortably, in the UK i could afford hospital subsidised accommodation which was a single shoe box room. Here i have a 2 bed house. I didnt bring very much money with me either. 37K isnt much for a family to live on, doubt a single person could live on it, they could survive but not live on it. So much respect to the prison officers out there who make the move.

As for Sky she is far too negative, be real, yeah i respect her opinion but she shoves it down your throat and seems to be the first to make some personal comment to bash the poster. I do feel for her in that its sad to live a life where you produce so much negative feeling, and thus negative responses. Yeah read her posts, but also look at the really positive posts too, and find some balane.

This forum does have a 'whinging pom' reputation, unfortunately. its a great resource but some peeps just get into whinging, i feel if you find it that bad for goodness sake move to Australia, go home do something other than posting over a thousand posts on here to whinge about how bad things are here.

I love it here the people are great, so friendly and welcoming, the vibe of wellington city is great, im begining to chill out, have bought some jandals, and enjoying an easier safer life.

So a little off topic prison officers, but those of you who take the plunge i take my hat off to you, and those who work in rimutaka prison im sure i will see you in person at some point as you bring your charges through our emergency dept.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scottish

excuse me but ive never sent a nasty word to anyone
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 5:41 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't all gone running back to the UK in six months keep posting won't you. You won't though you'll just all disappear and not tell any one about your REAL experiences of NZ.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 5:56 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by sky
If you haven't all gone running back to the UK in six months keep posting won't you. You won't though you'll just all disappear and not tell any one about your REAL experiences of NZ.
Or perhaps we will not want to post on here because we will be to busy enjoying our LIFE

K9

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.