Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison officers view of New Zealand part 2

A Prison officers view of New Zealand part 2

Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:50 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice
Default A Prison officers view of New Zealand part 2

Sorry Den but after your fantastic posts I could not let your thread die because of Idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!

So we will carry on here.

K9
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future
Default Re: A Prison officers view of New Zealand part 2

Originally Posted by K9s
Sorry Den but after your fantastic posts I could not let your thread die because of Idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!

K9

So another thread for the PO's
Well this as good as time as any for a roll call of PO's who are their already or ones who are still waiting to go.
Me personaly everything is ready to go i just need to sell the goddam house for a price that gives us a little money to live on.
Got to admitt the previous PO thread has given me food for thought and entered doubt into my mind, but my wife has kept me going thinking positive, which surprises me lol i thought she would be the one to say ohhh noooo its not worth the risk. What are other PO's situations. With a little luck im looking at being in NZ for march.
Hamilton here we come
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

glad you've carried on the thread.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

UNIONJACK is on a distinguished road

Off to ChCh on the 6th of Feb start course on the 13th, in Wellington on the 27th. By the looks of things I won't be staying with the prison service very long, poor pay and conditions etc... 3 months and then residency for life. It is the lifestyle NZ can offer that we are moving for, hopefully things will work out but reading the posts from officers already working there they don't seem to be very helpful. Seems to me they are trying to get something for nothing. Still there is more to life than the job and the job market seems very good out there at the moment, more money better time off less stress!!!!!!!
Good Luck Everyone!!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Dear UnionJack

I feel that your comment was a little unfair when you say that the UK Prison Officers who are already in NZ "want something for nothing". All they want is the same as what we all want, including I guess yourself ..."a chance of a better life with equal if not better pay", who wouldn't? I note that you are planning only to work for the NZ prison service for just a short while, thus you could say taking up a large and wasteful sum of the New Zealand taxpayers contributions, which in their eyes would be better spent on their own people and not outsiders.

We are all striving for a decent life for ourselves and our families so please don't look down on our UK officers already working out there wanting the same as you and me. They've taken a huge step and I for one wish them all the very best for a happy and rewarding future life in New Zealand and yes I hope they too manage to get a fantastic salary in the end.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Dear UnionJack

I feel that your comment was a little unfair when you say that the UK Prison Officers who are already in NZ "want something for nothing". All they want is the same as what we all want, including I guess yourself ..."a chance of a better life with equal if not better pay", who wouldn't? I note that you are planning only to work for the NZ prison service for just a short while, thus you could say taking up a large and wasteful sum of the New Zealand taxpayers contributions, which in their eyes would be better spent on their own people and not outsiders.

We are all striving for a decent life for ourselves and our families so please don't look down on our UK officers already working out there wanting the same as you and me. They've taken a huge step and I for one wish them all the very best for a happy and rewarding future life in New Zealand and yes I hope they too manage to get a fantastic salary in the end.

You totally misunderstand me, I am a UK prison officer with over 8 years service. What I meant was the NZ Prison Service want something for nothing, it is going to cost me approx £8k just to relocate, what do they give you 2 weeks paid aaccommodation they will not recognise our experience or qualifications. I will stay with the prison service but only if they meet us at least halfway.
As for the NZ taxpayer it is costing them nothing to get all of our officers and experience that they so obviously need. In fact when we pay tax, bring money with us buy cars and houses they will do very well out of us!!!!! As for there own people they don't want to do the job that is why they are recruiting here, and it is not difficult to see why, poor pay and conditions, 3 weeks leave a year, working 2 weekends out of 3.
You are correct all anybody wants is a fair days pay for a fair days work, if they provide that then I will happily stay and work for them, if not I will move on. I am moving to NZ for the lifestyle it can offer not for the prison service.
I have nothing but respect for anybody in whatever profession who has the courage to up sticks and move so far away, at least we will be able to say we gave it a shot, good luck to everybody!!!

Last edited by UNIONJACK; Nov 26th 2005 at 9:02 am.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:37 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by K9s

K9

Thanks K9. I'm not happy that its been closed - for my money the Mods should've stepped in a while back to prevent the vitriol emanating from another member who refused to listen to anyone.

One sided forum this........
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:10 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

See my PM.

Originally Posted by Den13
Thanks K9. I'm not happy that its been closed - for my money the Mods should've stepped in a while back to prevent the vitriol emanating from another member who refused to listen to anyone.

Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:11 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Den why are you stirring up more shite,move on and leave it alone.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:18 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

For my money Den, we did step in, 5 times in the last 4 days alone...and the vitriol wasn't entirely one-sided now was it?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=232

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=235

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=241

Keep going like this and this thread will go the same way as the last one...which would be a huge shame...we are never all going to agree with everyone - that's life...but maybe it's time to just agree to disagree and give everyone the space and respect to post their opinions/experiences etc without being jumped on and being called rose-coloured fantasists or doom and gloomers, neither of which are particularly pleasant...

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Nov 26th 2005 at 1:36 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 3:20 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottish
Den why are you stirring up more shite,move on and leave it alone.

You're right. I shouldn't have posted that. I'm now gonna bite my tongue!!!!

@Pinkie; Thanks for showing whats been done. I think that was needed.

Cheers everyone and
Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:10 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right. I shouldn't have posted that. I'm now gonna bite my tongue!!!!

@Pinkie; Thanks for showing whats been done. I think that was needed.

Cheers everyone and
Den I think its your fingers you need to bite mate.

Now where were we........... I know what made you all want to be prison officers. Did you just fall into it or did you want to do it when you were at school. Always intrigued me why someone would want to do that job. The whole thing of dealing with the scum of the earth scares the crap out of me. I had to pleasure of having to go to Barlinnie Prison (Glasgow) one day to have a guy sign his termination of tenancy form, talk about cacking it. A very scary experience it was. Have to also admit when they apply to us for rehousing stating they have just done 10 plus year for murder its one home visit I dont relish.

So come on would love to read your stories.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dear UnionJack

I apologise for my reply as from your comments it appeared to be rather against the UK PO's.

Good luck in NZ and I hope the service will pay a bit more money. Maybe in the long term the UK officers will make big changes in the service over there. (Maybe in our dreams).

Hope we are still friends
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UNIONJACK
You totally misunderstand me, I am a UK prison officer with over 8 years service. What I meant was the NZ Prison Service want something for nothing, it is going to cost me approx £8k just to relocate, what do they give you 2 weeks paid aaccommodation they will not recognise our experience or qualifications. I will stay with the prison service but only if they meet us at least halfway.

Just a couple of points, no one is forcing you to go to NZ, it is your choice to spend the 8 grand and secondly, if you decide not to stay with the prison service, in what sector do you expect to find a well paid job?

Gill
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Just a couple of points, no one is forcing you to go to NZ, it is your choice to spend the 8 grand and secondly, if you decide not to stay with the prison service, in what sector do you expect to find a well paid job?

Gill
You are right it is our choice to go, and I could have moved over for less money but decided to take furniture etc. I hope it all works out for us with the prison service if not I am a fully qualified electrician so I do have a trade to fall back on. We hope to fully intergrate and contribute to NZ society in whatever job I end up doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.