Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Prison officer U.K

Prison officer U.K

Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prison officer U.K

Originally Posted by macatack007
I have looked at OZ prisons and they are not recruiting overseas, hence why I want to go to NZ do 5 yrs get citizenship and then get into OZ that way. If it ever happens...lol

Pete
What qualifications do you have that will get you into NZ?

Do you have enough points?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Dont come to NZ solely with the idea of doing 5 years and going to OZ.
Do some serious research on life in NZ before making any decisions.
BTW a weekly shop for my family was around $200, dentist check up is
around $120 and very small fillings would be $150. I need a new crown and
its going to cost me around $1200. I wouldn't base a move on dentist fee's
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Believe it or not, the skills shortage does not equate to vacancies. (Please don't get stroppy if you don't like that)
Don't worry, I don't do stroppy I was merely suggesting he take a look, because if it wasn't there at all then he would need to look at a different approach xxx
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all

And what makes you think I won't reply. I would rather someone be honest with me and tell me how it is, although there is a way about doing that without being sarcastic of course. I am straight talking and I tell people how it is and am glad for all the people on here taking the time to answer my questions and giving me great advice, it is very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Oh Purleeze. I mean horses for courses and all that but Hawke Bay ? Nice enough for a week's holiday i.e. Tarradale, Napier etc but live there. No thanks. I'm to young to retire.

I think you will probably spend a lot of money to get to NZ and be disappointed with your life here. People have tried to advise you salary wise and the cost of things and that's about right. You might end up wishing you had spent the money on home improvements or a big holiday or a better than average car that you thought you could not afford but there was money hand over fist to piss away on what could be an ill fated emigration attempt.

If you or anyone else has a problem with what I have written, please feel free to not reply.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all

Hi RachelG12. To be honest I have been researching this move for the last year or so, just some questions I needed answering by the guy and gals who actually took the brave plunge.

Originally Posted by RachelG12
Don't worry, I don't do stroppy I was merely suggesting he take a look, because if it wasn't there at all then he would need to look at a different approach
Old Dec 16th 2012, 7:06 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

And what makes you think I won't reply. I would rather someone be honest with me and tell me how it is, although there is a way about doing that without being sarcastic of course. I am straight talking and I tell people how it is and am glad for all the people on here taking the time to answer my questions and giving me great advice, it is very much appreciated.
Hawkes bay area is lovely, I have friends in taradale, they have more of a social life than they did in the uk, and no they haven't retired
Old Dec 18th 2012, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go thinking that Australia is the land of milk and honey either, despite what many on here think. It is obscenely expensive, for no other reason than they can gouge you on prices.

House prices in good areas are sky high, if you can't afford these you'll be living in possibly some of the most boring suburbia you will find. (Most prisons I know are also at least 100km outside of the cities)
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

A guy at work has just returned from 3 years in the prisons in oz,he was 125km from the nick where he worked
and no way of living closer unless he wanted to live in the wups
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Wow that is a fair distance. I live 2 mins from my prison, I cant imagine driving 125k to work every day. That would be an absoulte killer.

Originally Posted by Justcol
A guy at work has just returned from 3 years in the prisons in oz,he was 125km from the nick where he worked
and no way of living closer unless he wanted to live in the wups
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Awkward one this. To make the move or not to make the move with eyes to Oz.

Hi and a belated welcome to the NZ forum by the way.

Justcol will have let you know all the ins and outs of a Correction Officers salary and add-ons.

As you will be aware Corrections Officer - (ANZSCO 442111) is not on the skill shortages lists of New Zealand . I can't find that occupation under the NZIS list of occupations seen as skilled either which surprised me TBH . So it seems the SMC points route is out .

However, the Dept of Corrections is an accredited employer so that means you are able to apply for a job here & corrections is free to offer you a post.

What I am not sure of is how you would gain NZ residency from there. To do a Work To Residence visa you would need to prove $55K a year for around a 40 hour week, so my puzzle at the moment is how you would ever be able to move on from a temporary work visa or permit .

Am I missing something here people?

I'm with the others in that you would be looking at around 15K GBP to move yourselves and your belongings here. .

It's good you have a $100K deposit for a property. At this moment I'm not sure where you get a figure of $270K for a house?
Have a browse around Real Estate to see prices for assorted areas. My thought would be that as a prison officer on a salary base of just $46K pa you would be better off on the South Island - Dunedin area.

My husband and I have survived off earning of just $46K due to short working hours etc but we had no mortgage to service.

HTH.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachelG12

Weekly shops are more expensive but income tax cheaper, fuel cheaper and car insurance cheaper. As long as you aren't bothered about having the nicest car, coolest house and every new gadget, then you can get by.

Rach x
Cheap cars in NZ are often junk. Repairs are very expensive! I personally like newer cars because they are safer and usually newer cars don't pollute as much as many old ones. So if you don't care that your old car and old gadgets are polluting, using much energy etc pp. then move to NZ. If you care about these things and still want to move make sure you earn enough money! Housing can be miserable in NZ. If you don't mind living in a dump, with mould and no insulation and heating, then move here or alternatively make sure you will earn enough money so that you can afford decent housing here. Also nearly all cultural activities are much more expensive here in NZ than in Europe. Even going to the movies, going out for dinner, and other niceties that you might take for granted. If you want to see your parents from time to time before they die make sure you earn enough MONEY as flights are very expensive too.

Last edited by Assanah; Dec 19th 2012 at 3:34 am.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:27 am
`

You know Assanah. You make some very good points but that tends to get lost in translation due to the bluntness of the post tone.

I realise you are responding to RachelG & that her post has probably aggravated you in that it seems to suggest those with concerns of housing, vehicles, affordable lifestyle etc are somehow materialistic or want 'stuff' , which we both know is not often the case.

I certainly know, having had to exist and manage on a very limited income which was somewhat worrying & no fun at all.

Thing is, the way you have worded your post is bound to aggravate some on here and that doesn't help the OP does it & helping the OP is what I hope we are all wishing to do.

Which leads me to state that I realise Assanah's post will agitate some of you because of it's content and tone but please do not seek to write retaliatory posts back. Seen a bit of this of late . It's not nice to read . It helps no-one. Don't do it please.

Other than that, have a nice evening all.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:20 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Just so everyone knows, the pollution output from manufacturing a new car, is more than the pollution it produces in its lifetime.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...tprint-new-car

My modest house is warm and dry. Our parents visit us and we are happy here.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:23 am
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Hi. My family and I are contemplating on moving to NZ. I am currently a prison officer here in the UK for 9yrs. We are looking at the North Island. I was just wondering what the correctional facilities are like out there? I understand I would have to start from the beginning and re-train. The starting salary I believe is $46k during training. What I would like to know is the pay scale after that and how long it takes to move up the pay scale?

I also understand the PAYE tax is around 30%, is this correct?
I also believe that the shopping bill is also rather expensive?

What would be the cost of a container to ship your household furniture out there also.

We would potentially be taking around $100,000nz as a deposit on a property of around $270,000. Would that be enough to live in a comfortable type house in NZ?

My wife currently works for local government, what would be her job prospects in NZ and salary that she could expect?

I hope that someone can help with my various questions.

Kind regards

Pete
That wage is very average as would be the house you are considering if you spend 270k.
BUT...............I was in the same position as you are now 7 years ago. I started on 38 grand ( a shite wage ) and lived in rentals for a long time...Ironically in Hawkes Bay.
Now I earn 70k without any extras which means in real terms I earn on average 80 ish a year ( not a bad wage ) and own a brand new house which I am very pleased with.
It was not easy getting where I am now but it is do-able........
Dont rule out the South Island because that is where I now live and it is fab.
The weather is only a degree or two cooler but it is far nicer IMHO.
Best of luck.

Arthur.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:34 am
`

Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
That wage is very average as would be the house you are considering if you spend 270k.
BUT...............I was in the same position as you are now 7 years ago. I started on 38 grand ( a shite wage ) and lived in rentals for a long time...Ironically in Hawkes Bay.
Now I earn 70k without any extras which means in real terms I earn on average 80 ish a year ( not a bad wage ) and own a brand new house which I am very pleased with.
It was not easy getting where I am now but it is do-able........
Dont rule out the South Island because that is where I now live and it is fab.
The weather is only a degree or two cooler but it is far nicer IMHO.
Best of luck.

Arthur.
Love this post by you as it is how it is . I really mean that.

Thing the OP needs to know is the visa aspect. Can he get here and then be an NZ resident?

How long and how.

Brill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.