Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Price increases in the UK

Price increases in the UK

Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price increases in the UK

Originally Posted by Genesis
I am being balanced. Its the truth. We are being hugely gouged in NZ, all over the shop..if you will pardon the pun. Yes I did go back to Northampton..why do you ask? As for 'ray of sunshine' I guess I am sick and tired of crap decisions made by a crap administration. Our lives in Nz are still way better than they would be in the Uk..but that does not stop me saying how it is..or how I perceive it to be.
Mate not having a 'go' just that you would normally balance the negatives with your perceived positives. Personally I am not so sure about being "gouged" as food prices have risen in the UK at their fastest ever rate recently and the Tesco and Asda of the world could not keep their feet on the throats of farmers forever, but differing views are all good.

Asked about Northampton as that is where we came from and haven't been back in two and half years although a trip in the next few months is on the cards.

I also am a little surprised by how John Key and co have been allowed to continue to have an extended honeymoon period for so long.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

There is not a trend.
There is none so blind as those that WILL NOT see. So this is why you keep clinging to the hope of $2.70 returning, just because it has been there before???? And you think that would have no effect on prices????

Stick to what you know, this discussion clearly isnt going to go anywhere.....
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
There is none so blind as those that WILL NOT see. So this is why you keep clinging to the hope of $2.70 returning, just because it has been there before???? And you think that would have no effect on prices????

Stick to what you know, this discussion clearly isnt going to go anywhere.....
I don't think that the dollar will return to $2.70..did I ever say it would?? I am merely telling you I do not think there is a trend. What happened today proves it. The RB slashed the OCR to 2.5%..what happened? The kiwi is tumbling in value. The only thing you get in currency is a median and reactions to news, confidence, economic figures et al. And as for 'stick to what you know'..........a bit of a daft comment as my observations are not about what I know (cos I know sweet FA about currency), its about what I see. I have no doubt your smug comment means you know shit loads about everything. Laters bro.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gazmfc
I wasn't really asking a question about NZ prices, it was more to do with inflation rates in NZ. I realise the prices of various consumables are more expensive in NZ than in the UK, but costs are increasing quickly in the UK and I wondered if the same applied in NZ? i.e. is the gap in consumable prices between the UK and NZ narrowing or remaining constant? It is not a question about the UK, it is about inflation in NZ!

Sorry for the confusion!!
Ah ! That's OK. Would you like me to tweak your title to 'How is Inflation in NZ' or summat like that ?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ah ! That's OK. Would you like me to tweak your title to 'How is Inflation in NZ' or summat like that ?
You can if you wish Bev.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:29 pm
`

You can if you wish Bev.
lol. It's up to you mate. Depends if you have the answers you need or not I spose.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:41 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt your smug comment means you know shit loads about everything.
Not at all, but equally I'm not going to deny the obvious and blindly hope for salvation in the form of a movement of one economic effect to the exclusion of all the other interrelated effects. For example the OCR rate change will change the currency value for the weaker, that will both make exports cheaper and imports dearer. No doubt you will be chuffed that your GBP is worth more but hacked off at the increase in goods and fuel prices....but they are linked by the same currency shift, you can't have you cake and eat it.

I still don't follow your logic regarding there being no trend at all. New trading rates create a new median, but a changing median over time forms a trend in itself....there is no escape. The trends in both the long term oil price and exch rate is pretty clear.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:47 pm
It is what it is Member

Due to global price increases in oil, wheat, coffee beans etc etc the price of every day in the UK such as bread, petrol, cereals etc. are increasing at an alarming rate. Is it the same in NZ ?
Yes its the same in NZ

...are UK prices catching up with NZ prices?
Nope, the differences in economies of scale are still there and the global factors drive up prices in both economies broadly equally so that differential will remain.

Fuel prices in particular will affect NZ more than the UK due to the cost of delivery of imported goods being over much greater distances on average.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Mate not having a 'go' just that you would normally balance the negatives with your perceived positives. Personally I am not so sure about being "gouged" as food prices have risen in the UK at their fastest ever rate recently and the Tesco and Asda of the world could not keep their feet on the throats of farmers forever, but differing views are all good.

Asked about Northampton as that is where we came from and haven't been back in two and half years although a trip in the next few months is on the cards.

I also am a little surprised by how John Key and co have been allowed to continue to have an extended honeymoon period for so long.
NN alas is still as naff as it was when I left. Awful, awful city centre, all the roads being dug up, traffic was terrible, throngs of people, generally a gloomy, sad place IMO. NZ by contrast is empty which in my eyes makes it a good place to be. That is its saving grace, as is the great standard of living we have here inspite of expensive food, the supermarket duopoly, the crap administration, crap driving and the oddness of the average kiwi when it comes to anything deeper than a peripheral exchange. Much as I moan these days (about too much probably) NZ is a good place to live for us. We have many advantages here that would not be present in our lives were we in the UK. Those pros outweigh the numerous cons of living here on this backward little island....especially for my kids. The EQ did rattle me somewhat given that we are just a few k's from a fault line that runs up the ranges that our house overlooks. Good news is our house is made of great sheets of polystyrene finished in a thin, thin screed of steel like cementy stuff. Whilst the build is of the ilk that is given to leaks I would rather have the latter than being surrounded by a heavier building material falling atop of me and my kin..but I digress.

Last edited by Genesis; Mar 9th 2011 at 9:18 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Have a good look at the labels of everything you buy. I am not talking about meat, fruit or veg. Its all the other stuff..most of it is full of crap, whereas in the UK this is not the case.
Genesis, I try to buy healthy stuff, but generally bury my head in the sand over things like biscuits. I am vaguely aware that there are more nasty things in the food in supermarkets here. I would be interested in finding out more about the additives/sad faces/labelling issue in NZ though. Where did you find out, a book? Online?
Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Re additives: I also find a good policy is to stick to Becks for all your nutritional needs - brewed under the German purity law of 15 hundred and something
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by turkeys
Genesis, I try to buy healthy stuff, but generally bury my head in the sand over things like biscuits. I am vaguely aware that there are more nasty things in the food in supermarkets here. I would be interested in finding out more about the additives/sad faces/labelling issue in NZ though. Where did you find out, a book? Online?
Cheers
Yeah I turn a blind eye to the odd thing too but on the whole steer clear of most of the shite. The book you want is called 'the chemical maze'. If you have probs finding it (a chum bought it for me..it was $20) let me know by PM and I will get hold of the ISBN for you. It is a GREAT little book.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Re additives: I also find a good policy is to stick to Becks for all your nutritional needs - brewed under the German purity law of 15 hundred and something
I have found that stuff in the past has given me serious hang overs. However I don't get them anymore as I just keep drinking!!!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I turn a blind eye to the odd thing too but on the whole steer clear of most of the shite. The book you want is called 'the chemical maze'. If you have probs finding it (a chum bought it for me..it was $20) let me know by PM and I will get hold of the ISBN for you. It is a GREAT little book.
Cheers, might regret it but I will track it down at the library. It is good to be more aware of what we are chucking in our bodies. Mind you I shop at Pak n Save, which is probably one step up from Lidl. We would probably find all manner of e numbers in their stuff too. Another thing that I notice is the seemingly random way in which things might be out of stock in the supermarket, such as there being no Vegemite the other day. Then they had some generic Weetbix, but from the UK, with a 1 pound sticker on it ( Selling for $2.80 though )

Down to consumer power, supply and demand etc? Quite Eastern European circa 1988 really. I find it funny. On the other hand in some ways it is refreshing that we are not so pampered here as in the UK with all manner of poncy prepared foods. My parents moaned like hell when they visited here that there were only three types of pasta on offer and they couldn't pick up clothes for 20p like in Asda. Those days are probably numbered now though with the increasing costs of production and knock on effects of natural disasters - back to the original point of the thread.

Oh, Becks is the one that doesn't give me hangovers, my mate back home swore by it. So I have continued on with it here after a brief flirtation with Speights. Other than that, there are a good range of Pilsners on offer in NZ

Last edited by turkeys; Mar 10th 2011 at 9:02 am. Reason: Booze update
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:02 pm
`

Mate ! I needed that giggle. Have some karma.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.