Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Price food shock NZ v UK

Price food shock NZ v UK

Old Jan 1st 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice
Default Re: Price food shock NZ v UK

I felt the same when I when back to uk after many years away could not beleive the variety and the price.

We need more competition here in Australia. I hate to shop here now after seeing the variety and price in uk.. We have no variety at all and Woolworths and coles have the lead roles.

Ive been out here since 1972 from London and been back Twice. This time back really woke me up. I was back this August in uk for a month

Last edited by Pommie Aussie; Jan 1st 2011 at 3:10 am.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

You'll do your head in comparing the two places. Woolworths in Aus isn't that bad, they do a pretty decent range.

At least we have Aldi's here in Australia. I did a lot of my shopping there over Christmas. We had one of their scrumptious plum crumbles for NY lunch today .
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
In NZ you buy when its cheap! ... Last week 1.5 litre coca cola & fanta etc = 99cents, I got a trolly full.
Oh for sure, just using an example of everyday prices though.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
You really have to be on the ground in the supermarkets here to get a real feel of it though, scanning Woolworths on the internet is misleading, I don't drink Coke but I stocked up on the 1.5 ltre range of Shweppes drinks last week at Countdown; 95 cents a bottle, I've been back here 6 years now but I didn't find that too bad a price, rump steak $10.95 kg, might have been Australian though for that price. Buying on 'special' is the name of the game here, gone are the days of swanning around Asdas and throwing anything and everything in a cart, what a mindless existence that was;
I find the fruit and veg here from the local market to be of excellent quality and flavour [ i couldn't care less about the shape, it does not affect the taste] however I did buy apples from the USA in Countdown last week and they were completely without flavour, horrible and expensive of course, in my book the further it travels the more tasteless it becomes.

I love that term 'class system of food,' we have it here a bit too but only at the lower class end!! NZ has no equivalent to Tesco 'finest' yet! How pretentious.
Where are you shopping? ... Today at local supermarket organic milk 2L for $4.
Originally Posted by lisamct
$3.77 for 1.13lts here in Countdown.
Originally Posted by crap coffee
$4.95 here in Welly Metro NW. and $ 5. 50 (at Wakefied NW) or something - don't quite remember tho.
Yes I agree you don't always get a true reflection of prices by looking at Woolworths on the internet, unfortunately for me I am still in the UK . I think the main point of the OP was that food prices are more expensive in NZ, which I think they are, and the gap is increasing with the poor exchange rate. Yes, I'm sure the best thing is to buy on special (isn't that obvious).
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

keyholekate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janek
You really have to be on the ground in the supermarkets here to get a real feel of it though, scanning Woolworths on the internet is misleading, I don't drink Coke but I stocked up on the 1.5 ltre range of Shweppes drinks last week at Countdown; 95 cents a bottle, I've been back here 6 years now but I didn't find that too bad a price, rump steak $10.95 kg, might have been Australian though for that price. Buying on 'special' is the name of the game here, gone are the days of swanning around Asdas and throwing anything and everything in a cart, what a mindless existence that was;
I find the fruit and veg here from the local market to be of excellent quality and flavour [ i couldn't care less about the shape, it does not affect the taste] however I did buy apples from the USA in Countdown last week and they were completely without flavour, horrible and expensive of course, in my book the further it travels the more tasteless it becomes.

I love that term 'class system of food,' we have it here a bit too but only at the lower class end!! NZ has no equivalent to Tesco 'finest' yet! How pretentious.
What about Woolworth's 'Signature Range'?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Give me a nice juicy New Zealand Eve apple anyday

The huge difference in food costs here is one of the biggest shocks Ive had since coming here.
I only ever ate organic free range meet/dairy products in the UK and simply cant afford to do that here, the cost, if you can find organic free range stuff to start with, is ridiculous.
I hate shopping here as I know I'll have to buy farmed chicken and non free range/organic milk etc as I cant afford or cant find anything else.

I dont really eat red meat which probably doesnt help as I'm told its pretty cheap but the lack of choice and quality has really surprised me. I'm yet to find the super tasty fruit etc that I keep hearing about.
I buy my fruit from the local market but still find it pretty tasteless and bland compared to the fruit I'm used to in the UK. maybe its the organic vs. non organic thing..who knows!

I admit I'm rubbish at shopping around although I do use the local market for fruit/veg but I cant seem to get my shopping bill to be any less than 50% more than it was in the UK and thats buying inferior products and looking for all the offers. Guess its just something I have to get used to if I want to keep living here.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by keyholekate
What about Woolworth's 'Signature Range'?
I don't find the signature range brand to be up market, it seems to me to be less expensive than all the other brands on the shelves, it s not exclusive to Countdown either, I have found it also in Fresh Choice, I always thought it was the equivalent of what Pams is to New world and Pack n Save, like an 'in house' brand.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

The huge difference in food costs here is one of the biggest shocks Ive had since coming here.
I only ever ate organic free range meet/dairy products in the UK and simply cant afford to do that here, the cost, if you can find organic free range stuff to start with, is ridiculous.
I hate shopping here as I know I'll have to buy farmed chicken and non free range/organic milk etc as I cant afford or cant find anything else.

I dont really eat red meat which probably doesnt help as I'm told its pretty cheap but the lack of choice and quality has really surprised me. I'm yet to find the super tasty fruit etc that I keep hearing about.
I buy my fruit from the local market but still find it pretty tasteless and bland compared to the fruit I'm used to in the UK. maybe its the organic vs. non organic thing..who knows!

I admit I'm rubbish at shopping around although I do use the local market for fruit/veg but I cant seem to get my shopping bill to be any less than 50% more than it was in the UK and thats buying inferior products and looking for all the offers. Guess its just something I have to get used to if I want to keep living here.
I'd forgotten how difficult it was to get organic, free range food in New Zealand. Here I go to an organic farmers market every week for whatever's in season and buy free range eggs and other organic produce from the supermarkets.

People back in NZ bemoan the fact that we don't get NZ apples over here, to be honest I don't miss them at all. Not just because of the taste thing but because I simply don't trust the way they throw chemicals around the orchards over there, plus there's the food miles to take into consideration.

If you're content to eat pie and chips / fish and chips you'll eat well in NZ. That's the staple diet.

Last edited by Persia; Jan 1st 2011 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

In NZ you buy when its cheap! ... Last week 1.5 litre coca cola & fanta etc = 99cents, I got a trolly full.
That is so true. If you shop and buy what are on special offer, rather than buying what you want, you can make considerable savings. Luckily I have a hubby who is a "shopper extraordinaire", who can spot a bargain at 40 paces

Gill
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Arrow Re: Price food shock NZ v UK

wow.............is this the great 2010 food debate !!! Really enjoying it so far. We land in Hamilton in March this year and seeking to rent in Cambridge for the first 12 months. Following this debate I best rent a house with a bit of a garden and GET PLANTING ASAP !! Should I be bringing 'a still' and the guide to home brewing fruit !! Whilst we are on with economics and sustainability........turn your clothes inside out before throwing them in the wash....they last longer.......take the glass out of your old washing machine door...makes an excellent salad bowl.

Love to hear more about Cambridge from you folks. Thanks for all of your perspectives, it helps us plan and budget for the future.

John----Julie-----Little lucy........cheers
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:22 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Oh for sure, just using an example of everyday prices though.
Off topic post.

Just wanted to say what a smashing avatar that is. Have some smashing avatar karma.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Recently been to the UK. Food shopping is so cheap in comparison to NZ. The choice is sooooooooo huge and the quality excellent. There are far less crap ingredients in UK food too. Problem is lack of competition in NZ for the 3/4 food suppliers. I am sure they have a cartel thingy going on in NZ. By contrast the many big food chains in the UK are in a great price war and the main winner is the consumer. Example 350g of top quality smoked salmon in UK is $8..yes eight dollars..or 4 pounds. 100g of the same but never as nice is $8 in NZ!!!!!!!!! What with the crap rate and a shocker on the supermarket front awaiting new arrivals it is a wonder anyone is prepared to move to NZ just now. I was back in the UK also in 2007 having moved out of the UK in 2005. The price difference than was no way as big as it is now between UK and NZ shopping trollies.

Caveat emptor!! UK is still madly over crowded, rubbish and dog shit EVERYWHERE..even in pretty Devon villages. Would still not return to England as I still feel that inspite of being ripped off every time I go shopping in NZ it affords us a higher quality life. And of course house prices are an issue too in the UK. The value of our capacious detatched shed would get us a well appointed double garage in the UK. Inspite of the UK housing market tumbling houses here are still very, very expensive.
My weekly shop in Tauranga takes 2 hours because the weekly price differentials mean I have to pay attention to what's on offer. The price of fresh salmon for example can fluctuate from one week to the next between $19 and $27 per kilo and that's a huge difference. Smoke salmon is rarely cheap, that much is true. so when items are expensive I don't buy them. Having been here in NZ a year and kept records of my spending I've found that on balance I spend no more than in the UK, and that includes 4 bottles, or a box, of wine and a 12 pack of beer, on my weekly shop. It's swings and roundabouts. I have noticed though that there are bigger weekly fluctuations on individual items than in the UK, sometimes by 50%, which is why it takes longer to shop. The point about crap in the prepared foods is true. I always read labels and there are far more preservatives and 'e' numbers in food here than in UK products, so much so that it's hard to find anything that is simply basic ingredients. As for household goods, all the big stores have a sale every week, a source of amusement to us but we only shop when the sales are on. But I wouldn't go back to the UK to live for quids
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
Off topic post.

Just wanted to say what a smashing avatar that is. Have some smashing avatar karma.
He he thanks BEVS!!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persia
I'd forgotten how difficult it was to get organic, free range food in New Zealand. Here I go to an organic farmers market every week for whatever's in season and buy free range eggs and other organic produce from the supermarkets.

People back in NZ bemoan the fact that we don't get NZ apples over here, to be honest I don't miss them at all. Not just because of the taste thing but because I simply don't trust the way they throw chemicals around the orchards over there, plus there's the food miles to take into consideration.

If you're content to eat pie and chips / fish and chips you'll eat well in NZ. That's the staple diet.
Oh come on, that's just not true
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jayandbill
My weekly shop in Tauranga takes 2 hours because the weekly price differentials mean I have to pay attention to what's on offer. The price of fresh salmon for example can fluctuate from one week to the next between $19 and $27 per kilo and that's a huge difference. Smoke salmon is rarely cheap, that much is true. so when items are expensive I don't buy them. Having been here in NZ a year and kept records of my spending I've found that on balance I spend no more than in the UK, and that includes 4 bottles, or a box, of wine and a 12 pack of beer, on my weekly shop. It's swings and roundabouts. I have noticed though that there are bigger weekly fluctuations on individual items than in the UK, sometimes by 50%, which is why it takes longer to shop. The point about crap in the prepared foods is true. I always read labels and there are far more preservatives and 'e' numbers in food here than in UK products, so much so that it's hard to find anything that is simply basic ingredients. As for household goods, all the big stores have a sale every week, a source of amusement to us but we only shop when the sales are on. But I wouldn't go back to the UK to live for quids
I forgot to mention I used to shop at Lidl and also we're living on a UK pension and bad exchange rate. But still are not spending much more than the UK on food. The fact that our Council rates are half what they were in the UK. $1750 pa including rubbish collection, against 1700GBP. water rates are about $130 pa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.