Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Price food shock NZ v UK

Price food shock NZ v UK

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price food shock NZ v UK

Originally Posted by jayandbill
Oh come on, that's just not true
which bit?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

They say that almost 30% of people in NZ eat 'out' more than they cook at home. When they say 'eating out', it's mostly fish n chips, pizzas and KFC. The article also mentions ready meals; these are not the quality chilled / fresh types of meals you get in the UK - they'll be the utterly crappest Watties frozen pasta, macaroni cheese and lasagna type efforts because that's all there is.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10697598

You only have to take a gander at what's in the average trolley of shopping in the checkout queue to see what features highly on the menu. The cheapest bread, tinned spaghetti, tinned fruit, beer, wine, budget label biscuits, icecream, frozen chips, frozen veggies and sausage 'sizzlers'.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

chillyed is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
They say that almost 30% of people in NZ eat 'out' more than they cook at home. When they say 'eating out', it's mostly fish n chips, pizzas and KFC. The article also mentions ready meals; these are not the quality chilled / fresh types of meals you get in the UK - they'll be the utterly crappest Watties frozen pasta, macaroni cheese and lasagna type efforts because that's all there is.

You only have to take a gander at what's in the average trolley of shopping in the checkout queue to see what features highly on the menu. The cheapest bread, tinned spaghetti, tinned fruit, beer, wine, budget label biscuits, icecream, frozen chips, frozen veggies and sausage 'sizzlers'.
yep cos everyone in the UK has such a fine and varied diet

i eat pasties like they're going out of fashion and my diet isnt too bad compared to others
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
which bit?
That pie and chips and fish and chips is the Kiwi staple diet
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

True about ready meals and I never buy them here, especially sausage rolls.yuk!! but the trolly full of cheap crap could be applied to Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mickey_d
which bit?
Mickey !
Get that mug shot on the Tradition Avatar thread mate.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

couple of things folks,

firstly, if you life here and work here let go. You'll just drive yourself mad constantly finding things to compare to the UK, incase you haven't noticed you aint there anymore

Secondly, if you buy local, buy seasonal and have a bit of common sense you can shop quite happily without breaking the budget. Maybe you are just getting to find out the real cost of food for a change, and I dont think that is a bad thing.

I suppose thirdly if having 7 different types of beans to pick from in the shops is important to you, maybe nz isn't for you...

Oh and Pie is good, it is never too early for PIE!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
I suppose thirdly if having 7 different types of beans to pick from in the shops is important to you, maybe nz isn't for you...
Maybe I'm a bit wierd but I used to walk around Sainsburys and think it was slightly obscene that there were indeed 7 choices of beans, or similar, when so much of the world is in so much need.....

I prefer the shops here, after all, all I am doing is going there to buy food, and it's simple, in season, and easy to find. I am a veggie too and I find that easy here too - it's well catered for as long as you read labels (which I did in the UK anyway). Also I have learnt to cook various chinese dishes as it is so easy to find the ingredients here

Jan
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Maybe I'm a bit wierd but I used to walk around Sainsburys and think it was slightly obscene that there were indeed 7 choices of beans, or similar, when so much of the world is in so much need.....

I prefer the shops here, after all, all I am doing is going there to buy food, and it's simple, in season, and easy to find. I am a veggie too and I find that easy here too - it's well catered for as long as you read labels (which I did in the UK anyway). Also I have learnt to cook various chinese dishes as it is so easy to find the ingredients here

Jan
the asian warehouse in town is the best supermarket in the world!!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree, wonderful place!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

couple of things folks,

firstly, if you life here and work here let go. You'll just drive yourself mad constantly finding things to compare to the UK, incase you haven't noticed you aint there anymore

Secondly, if you buy local, buy seasonal and have a bit of common sense you can shop quite happily without breaking the budget. Maybe you are just getting to find out the real cost of food for a change, and I dont think that is a bad thing.

Oh and Pie is good, it is never too early for PIE!
Absolutely right! But if like us your only income is UK pension, which is never going to increase, unlike the cost of living, it's useful to know how far your money is going to go for your first year here at least. I don't miss the UK or any of the foods, and who needs 15 types of canned tuna to choose from. I have no problem with the choice of food available here, only the amount of additives used.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Totally agree, wonderful place!!!!!!!!!!!
But which town? Auckland I presume. But I live in Tauranga
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:00 am
Account Closed

But which town? Auckland I presume. But I live in Tauranga
auckland? noo never,

shaky christchurch!

But i'm sure you will have a similar thing nearby,

as for additives, well surely that just depends what you put in your food? If you make it fresh you know whats in it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Dustybin; Jan 4th 2011 at 1:02 am. Reason: just because ok ;)
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

You're right, the fish is too expensive to be an everyday item

(I was joking by the way!)
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There's a point, how is it that the Asian stores can sell all manner of imported and local foods for a fraction of the prices in the other big supermarkets? However, it somehow conflicts and makes a mockery of the 'live like a local; eat like a local' brigade. If it weren't for the Asian demand for foods just like at home, where would we be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.