Preserving fruit

Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of
Default Re: Preserving fruit

Chutneys are fab I am obsessed with them Tomato, apricot, plum etc every one got them for christmas too and are fab with cheese!!! Also oven roasting red peppers and tomatoes bung in jars with herbs garlic and oil keep for ages taste great cost not a lot!!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Good old Briscoes has a wide range of jars in all shapes and sizes. Also remember, if still struggling to find something Trademe is your friend, there are loads for sale on there.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:50 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Good old Briscoes has a wide range of jars in all shapes and sizes. Also remember, if still struggling to find something Trademe is your friend, there are loads for sale on there.
I've found Briscoes to be horribly horribly expensive unless their end-of-season sales are on. Is that just me? Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong stuff?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dave.and.lisa
Chutneys are fab I am obsessed with them Tomato, apricot, plum etc every one got them for christmas too and are fab with cheese!!! Also oven roasting red peppers and tomatoes bung in jars with herbs garlic and oil keep for ages taste great cost not a lot!!!!!
Really? I did make tomato chutney once. Oven roasted toms sounds good though. How long do I bung them in to bake for?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:37 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not have a go at turning some of that fruit into wine?

Just freezing can be good, make simple purees to have with puddings, or chuck some frozen fruit into smoothies. Goes a good way towards getting the old 5 servings a day. Berries and currants are brilliant for this
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Really? I did make tomato chutney once. Oven roasted toms sounds good though. How long do I bung them in to bake for?
I know its sad!! Off on mat leave and go through phases of making stuff had a go a soap once and everyone got that It's a phase!!!!!!
Anyway how I do the toms is half them or if big 1/4's. hot oven gas 9 in a bit of oil and salt for about 15mins then turn oven down to gas 2 for about 1 1/2 hrs until half their original size. then put them in olive oil with chopped garlic and some dried herbs..(but can use sunflower) or just use them after you've done them. I have kept them for about a month in the fridge only because they get eaten really quickly prob last about 3mths if in sterile jars maybe longer!!!!!!!!