Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pregnant on Temporary Visas...

Pregnant on Temporary Visas...

Old May 31st 2009, 5:10 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pregnant on Temporary Visas...

Can you believe?http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10575739

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10575739
Old May 31st 2009, 5:50 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant on Temporary Visas...

My goodness...I've been following your 'frustration' thread, saw this an thought you had two announcements
Old May 31st 2009, 6:04 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Ahah
Not sure how either of us would get pregnant if you see what I mean!! LOL

Anyway, I thought I should touch base with the latest news in NZ and this was the first thread I came accross!
Old May 31st 2009, 6:24 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:39 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I had to do a bit of a double take when I read the thread name as well... Was wondering how you would explain that to NZIS
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I think theres more to the story than maybe the 'headline' says.

This would have a lot to do with the nationality of the people concerned, rules on immigration and citizenship I'd wager. Interesting that both are married 'students' and probably entered NZ as 'students'.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, it's a very cool news.

Better than America - automatic birthright citizenship based on birth on American soil which is ludicrous.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
I think theres more to the story than maybe the 'headline' says.

This would have a lot to do with the nationality of the people concerned, rules on immigration and citizenship I'd wager. Interesting that both are married 'students' and probably entered NZ as 'students'.
There sure is.

I am suprised that some of those girls (unattached of course) are choosing to have babies.

The rate of abortions in Auckland 5 years ago went up 150% and the survey showed almost all of the increase came from overseas students.

Govt funding at Middlemore Hospital gets swamped up by non Kiwi residents.

Pregnant PI girls who have never received any pre birth care and untreated diabetics were the biggest costs when I was there.

The babies are malnourished from birth, not usually wanted and end up living with already stretched extended families.

Or Mum ends up on the DPB with a NZ citizen babe and no support.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think someone who is willing to pay their own maternity costs should be kicked out whatever basis they came in on....what are you saying exactly ..that they should be forced to abort whether they want to or not? This is an underpopulated country for goodness sake. If they don;t want 'Asian' babies, then provide contraceptive advice or stop issuing the student visas to this sector...it is totally inhumane to withdraw somneone's right to live here just because they have become pregnant.

This country so oversells itself and cons people by making the visa so hard to get lol.

Luvwelly after 4 unaccustomed glasses of wine!

Last edited by luvwelly; Jun 1st 2009 at 10:02 am.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luvwelly
it is totally inhumane to withdraw somneone's right to live here just because they have become pregnant.
So if someone 'became' pregnant as a plan to remain here, after entering in the first place as a supposed 'student' when they in fact had little intention to ever see that course out, would that be ok?

I wonder if those Chinese 'students' already have 'one child' under Chinese guidelines and are expecting the 2nd in NZ as 'students'?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
So if someone 'became' pregnant as a plan to remain here, after entering in the first place as a supposed 'student' when they in fact had little intention to ever see that course out, would that be ok?

I wonder if those Chinese 'students' already have 'one child' under Chinese guidelines and are expecting the 2nd in NZ as 'students'?
I don't care if they are...have you seen the fee levels for overseas students? If you don't want them, don't let them in...since NZ has such a wonderful screening system in the first place, there is no excuse. I would that the UK were so fussy about whom it let in in the first place.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I don't care if they are...have you seen the fee levels for overseas students? If you don't want them, don't let them in...since NZ has such a wonderful screening system in the first place, there is no excuse. I would that the UK were so fussy about whom it let in in the first place.
So there's a route to buy your way into NZ after all then.......... certainly cheaper than the business route or passing money from family to family and so on...........
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
There sure is.

I am suprised that some of those girls (unattached of course) are choosing to have babies.

The rate of abortions in Auckland 5 years ago went up 150% and the survey showed almost all of the increase came from overseas students.

Govt funding at Middlemore Hospital gets swamped up by non Kiwi residents.

Pregnant PI girls who have never received any pre birth care and untreated diabetics were the biggest costs when I was there.

The babies are malnourished from birth, not usually wanted and end up living with already stretched extended families.

Or Mum ends up on the DPB with a NZ citizen babe and no support.

Not going to happen since 1.1.06, children born in NZ need an NZ citizen/PR parent to be a citizen by birth.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

The point everyone seems to be missing is the parlous state of the NZ maternity service. It is poorly organised, hugely expensive & extremely inefficient. Midwives like myself are leaving the service (even given the current economic climate) because they are so frustrated with the system & too exhausted to fight it. It's a great shame.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
The point everyone seems to be missing is the parlous state of the NZ maternity service. It is poorly organised, hugely expensive & extremely inefficient. Midwives like myself are leaving the service (even given the current economic climate) because they are so frustrated with the system & too exhausted to fight it. It's a great shame.

The beginning of the returmn to GP's as primary service providers Vital.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.