Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Precious time back in uk .

Precious time back in uk .

Old May 1st 2014, 5:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Precious time back in uk .

Originally Posted by vetnurse1
A very timely post for me personally too, thank you for sharing. My dad has been given 2 months at best, and I have the dilemma of whether to return now while he is still ok ish and probably miss the end and the funeral, or risk going back towards the end and staying for the funeral, not really seeing my dad as I remember him, if I see him at all. Tough choice. It's not easy and every time my wonderful brother (who has given up his job to look after him) rings with an update I feel an immense guilt. Partly for not being there now, but also for not having been there and spending these last precious years with him.
The benefits of hindsight eh?
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I don't have any words that can make that decision any easier for you. I know I would find making that decision extremely difficult and I hope someone can be a bit more helpful than me if/when I have to face the inevitable..
Whatever decision you make will be right for you and that's all that matters.
Take care
P x
Old May 1st 2014, 7:23 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

A very timely post for me personally too, thank you for sharing. My dad has been given 2 months at best, and I have the dilemma of whether to return now while he is still ok ish and probably miss the end and the funeral, or risk going back towards the end and staying for the funeral, not really seeing my dad as I remember him, if I see him at all. Tough choice. It's not easy and every time my wonderful brother (who has given up his job to look after him) rings with an update I feel an immense guilt. Partly for not being there now, but also for not having been there and spending these last precious years with him.
The benefits of hindsight eh?
Personally I would want to go back earlier rather than later but only you know the logistic of what is best for you and your family. Speak to those around you and ask your brother his feelings on the matter as he is dealing with the day to day things for you father. Awful time for you all, you have my sympathies
Old May 1st 2014, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so very pleased that you returned to see your parents and especially your Dad to celebrate his birthday before he passed away. I'm absolutely sure that it will have meant the world to him Nige. Great that you have those last memories to treasure.

I'm so sorry for your loss though. My thoughts are with you xxx
Old May 1st 2014, 9:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

A very timely post for me personally too, thank you for sharing. My dad has been given 2 months at best, and I have the dilemma of whether to return now while he is still ok ish and probably miss the end and the funeral, or risk going back towards the end and staying for the funeral, not really seeing my dad as I remember him, if I see him at all. Tough choice.
Hi vetnurse1 . Very sorry to read this for you.

Do not beat yourself up with this. No guilt and no regrets. Repeat that after me. No guilt and no regrets. Our parents bring us up to fly however we so choose & you did that. He will be proud of the both of you. He will not want your guilt.

As I've written before, best to go for the living. Too late when they are gone & a horrible mercy trip should be avoided if possible.

Your Dad loves you and will hope to see you again and spend time with you. He'll want you all together whilst he has the energy to soak that up.

Start making arrangements. You don't want a dreadful mercy flight for you or for your brother.
Old May 1st 2014, 11:23 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Do not beat yourself up with this. No guilt and no regrets. Repeat that after me. No guilt and no regrets. Our parents bring us up to fly however we so choose & you did that. He will be proud of the both of you. He will not want your guilt.

As I've written before, best to go for the living. Too late when they are gone & a horrible mercy trip should be avoided if possible.

Your Dad loves you and will hope to see you again and spend time with you. He'll want you all together whilst he has the energy to soak that up.

Start making arrangements. You don't want a dreadful mercy flight for you or for your brother.
Very well said!
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:40 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree - that's what I did and have no regrets at all.

Good luck and take care
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Thanks Bevs and everyone for your advice and kind words. Flights booked today for this coming Tuesday. Am going without the family so am selfishly bricking it about the long haul flight! Been in parochial NZ too long! Sad circumstances to be returning under after 8 years, but I'm looking forward to seeing the motherland again. Might even kiss the Tarmac! Thanks again all.