Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

PR in NZ - rights in OZ

PR in NZ - rights in OZ

Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice
Default PR in NZ - rights in OZ

if i have PR status in NZ - which i do - does this give me any rights either now or in the future re living / working in OZ?

Cheers Tease
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR in NZ - rights in OZ

Originally Posted by tease
if i have PR status in NZ - which i do - does this give me any rights either now or in the future re living / working in OZ?

Cheers Tease
No. Can't work there or even visit without a proper Oz visa.

Once you get citizenship you can do as you please.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tease

Cheers Tease
NO
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Once you get citizenship you can do as you please.
New Zealand Citizen's can get a special catogery Visa. Its a tempary visa not PR, so it doesn't give you etilment to apply for Australian Citizenship.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomref
New Zealand Citizen's can get a special catogery Visa. Its a tempary visa not PR, so it doesn't give you etilment to apply for Australian Citizenship.
Didn't know that. I thought NZ citizens could come and go and do as they please in Oz? So if an NZ citizen lives in Oz for long enough can't they become an Oz citizen?

Not that they'd want to become a citizen of the fly-blown dust-bowl of course! (Jeez that'll start the slanging match off again, it's been so quiet on here recently, thought I'd have a wee bit of fun) (Off to the fall out shelter now )
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Didn't know that. I thought NZ citizens could come and go and do as they please in Oz? So if an NZ citizen lives in Oz for long enough can't they become an Oz citizen?
Not unless they first obtain permanent resident status under Australia's normal rules. It's been that way since early 2001 - most New Zealanders living in Australia at the time are exempted from this new rule.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:30 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not unless they first obtain permanent resident status under Australia's normal rules. It's been that way since early 2001 - most New Zealanders living in Australia at the time are exempted from this new rule.
Once you get citizenship you are legally entitled to work in OZ.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Once you get citizenship you are legally entitled to work in OZ.
Once again. That is not in dispute but if you want full permanent resident rights in Australia, New Zealand citizenship in itself is not enough.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:39 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again. That is not in dispute but if you want full permanent resident rights in Australia, New Zealand citizenship in itself is not enough.
Good. What benefits are there for a kiwi who gets OZ pr rights? Access to the dole and what else?

Last edited by mingusdynasty; Jul 20th 2007 at 4:43 am.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Good. What benefits are there for a kiwi who gets OZ pr rights? Access to the dole and what else?
Access to welfare benefits in general (not just "the dole" as you suggest).

Plus the right to sponsor relatives for permanent residence and automatic Australian citizenship for children born in Australia.

PR is a must in order to become an Australian citizen normally. Without citizenship, there is:

- no right to vote
- no access to federal government employment
- liability to be deported
- no fee discount/deferral schemes for university students
- no right to confer Australian citizenship on non-Australia born children
- no right to an Australian passport

So day to day, being a New Zealand citizen without PR rights isn't a big deal in most cases. But long term it is likely to cause problems for most.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
Access to welfare benefits in general (not just "the dole" as you suggest).

Plus the right to sponsor relatives for permanent residence and automatic Australian citizenship for children born in Australia.

PR is a must in order to become an Australian citizen normally. Without citizenship, there is:

- no right to vote
- no access to federal government employment
- liability to be deported
- no fee discount/deferral schemes for university students
- no right to confer Australian citizenship on non-Australia born children
- no right to an Australian passport

So day to day, being a New Zealand citizen without PR rights isn't a big deal in most cases. But long term it is likely to cause problems for most.
Can I sponser my son to come and join me in NZ? He is not a dependent (he's 18). Im a citizen. His mum lives in the UK
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:26 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought NZ citizens and those with NZ PR did have the right of abode (live and work) in OZ? Weren't the changes in 2001 just to extend the qualifying period for benefits from 6 months to 2 yrs and then at the 2yr mark, encourage NZers to take out PR/OZ citizenship?

The 'special category visa' is virtually an automatic one, granted upon arrival provided the NZ citizen is not of bad character. At least that's what I thought.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:46 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Can I sponser my son to come and join me in NZ? He is not a dependent (he's 18). Im a citizen. His mum lives in the UK

In short the answer is yes

Look here to find out more
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

HTH
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I thought NZ citizens and those with NZ PR did have the right of abode ...etc... At least that's what I thought.
OMG, K_C the Ozzie Police might be after YOU!!!!!???///
You did want to be deported did you not?
After all that $h!t those ruddy ozzies gave on the oz forum I'd have thought so!!
Good on ya for sticking to your guns BTW, they seem like a bunch of drunken bullies to me.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:21 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I think Aussies get the better deal between the two countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.