Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Powerball donation to Christchurch

Powerball donation to Christchurch

Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:18 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Powerball donation to Christchurch

What a great idea - I hope they can get around the legalities.

Currently $12.5million - if it goes unclaimed this week, the suggestion is that it is donated to Christchurch.

http://www.facebook.com/Lotto4Canterbury

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NZ-Lotteries/389980296351

Last edited by P18PPS; Feb 24th 2011 at 10:22 pm. Reason: addition
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Powerball donation to Christchurch

That's a great idea hope it's not won & there's not too much red tape you would need to be very heartless to object!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim
That's a great idea hope it's not won & there's not too much red tape you would need to be very heartless to object!
What a load of bollocks. Red tape my arse. Just do it. is Key in charge or what?? Who in their right mind would object? Just sort it. I thought the MPs did what they liked, they make the laws they can change them too. If it is not won this Sat. then donate it. Simple. I have spent $1000s on the lotto over the years and as one of their best (stupidest) customers I have no objections.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

If they can't do it, then why doesnt everyone just donate the cost of next weeks ticket to the canterbury earthquake appeal instead of buying a ticket?!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
If they can't do it, then why doesnt everyone just donate the cost of next weeks ticket to the canterbury earthquake appeal instead of buying a ticket?!
I think that is more wise...people have bought tickets and some of those people may not be benevolent. If everyone who bought a ticket, donated $10 it would go a long way. If the lotteries hands are tied, then they are tied. They are not holding on to it, they are giving it away as aprize.
What I would like to see is an extremely generous donation from them, this is what the commission is meant to do, to fund charities. A lot of it is probably already earmarked though, but perhaps negotiating with those charities to forgo there grants? That could be a goer
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
Because one imagines it is easier for a small group of gormless beaureaucrats to hand over $15 million than convincing 500,000 odd people to do the same..or maybe not as the case maybe.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

it's easy to be generous with other people money though
The other things is to buy a ticket to be in with a chance of winning and donate it yourself
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I think that is more wise...people have bought tickets and some of those people may not be benevolent. If everyone who bought a ticket, donated $10 it would go a long way. If the lotteries hands are tied, then they are tied. They are not holding on to it, they are giving it away as aprize.
What I would like to see is an extremely generous donation from them, this is what the commission is meant to do, to fund charities. A lot of it is probably already earmarked though, but perhaps negotiating with those charities to forgo there grants? That could be a goer
I think it is a given that this week's lottery should roll as people have bought tickets. The argument is if this week it does not go then it goes to Cch. Mind you I am sure syndicates have bought tickets in advance..so really the whole idea is stupid.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:03 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Heard on the news last night that they will be donating half the ticket sales for next weeks lottery.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:48 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way one can donate directly to the relief fund from outside New Zealand via Paypal?

UPDATE: Found this on Facebook in case anyone else wants to know

http://www.facebook.com/Christchurch...Appeal?sk=wall

Would love to add BE members on FB to stay in touch, please PM me if you're interested in adding me as a friend

Last edited by Kija; Mar 1st 2011 at 7:55 am.