Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Possible sizeable aurora today and tonight.

Possible sizeable aurora today and tonight.

Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Possible sizeable aurora today and tonight.

For all those of you able to be in or travel to a dark sky and face south ,there is a strong possibility of a sizeable aurora this evening and tonight . Could well be worth sitting out .

No good for us now the new houses block the southerly view and festoon us with their artificial outside lights .. Our only place would be up Takaka Hill really and I'm not doing that up the munted road in the dark.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible sizeable aurora today and tonight.

Originally Posted by BEVS
For all those of you able to be in or travel to a dark sky and face south ,there is a strong possibility of a sizeable aurora this evening and tonight . Could well be worth sitting out .

No good for us now the new houses block the southerly view and festoon us with their artificial outside lights .. Our only place would be up Takaka Hill really and I'm not doing that up the munted road in the dark.
I'm sure we'd be too far north to see it, plus it's another grey, wet day up here.

That's more than a huge shame for you guys. I feel p!ssed off on your behalf.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:53 am
`

I am rather hoping that JustCol might think to look out if he is not on shift. I would be pleased to know how good it was or was not. It seems the flare is quite large.

Old Feb 27th 2023, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I am rather hoping that JustCol might think to look out if he is not on shift. I would be pleased to know how good it was or was not. It seems the flare is quite large.
Let's hope he gets to see it
Old Feb 27th 2023, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
Let's hope he gets to see it
It's been another beaut day here today and that might mean putting down this beer that's in my hand.
I'll consider popping up the hill so I can get a decent view later on
​​​​​
Old Feb 27th 2023, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justcol
It's been another beaut day here today and that might mean putting down this beer that's in my hand.
I'll consider popping up the hill so I can get a decent view later on
​​​​​
No need to rub it in . Did you see owt?
I've seen some stunning photos of aurora australis online. My cousin sent me a photo of the aurora borealis from Crosby beach, with an Anthony Gormley statue in the foreground.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Some stunning views in the UK as well (we share the same sun, apparently).

We went out in the car for a look and the sky was stunning for stars, but there wasn't anything obviously not low level light pollution to the North.

Did have a very close encounter with a fox, though, which the fox fortunately survived.
Coming down an embankment to the country lane as we drove past.
Inches from a front wheel.
Beautiful beast.

There are pictures of the aurora taken at Stonehenge which is a long way South of us.
Not often the Aurora Borealis is visible throughout the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Some stunning views in the UK as well (we share the same sun, apparently).
What is sun???????
Old Feb 28th 2023, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
No need to rub it in . Did you see owt?
I've seen some stunning photos of aurora australis online. My cousin sent me a photo of the aurora borealis from Crosby beach, with an Anthony Gormley statue in the foreground.
I saw nowt but a lovely sunset.
The cold beer was just too tempting 🍻🍺
Old Feb 28th 2023, 10:12 am
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
I saw nowt but a lovely sunset.
The cold beer was just too tempting 🍻🍺
Poo. It was beyond spectacular down your way. Should have taken the beer with you.
Just back from abit of a hike to what was a dark spot. Dark no more . Effing lights. Cloud cover too much also.