Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

possible to live on $65k?

possible to live on $65k?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:03 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: possible to live on $65k?

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Bo-Jangles...swap you power bills. Mine are always in the region of $250 - winter, $150 summer
ours too and im home most of the day
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:08 pm

Oh and the other thing I'd say about coming to Palmy is - have you been there before? And why? (standby by for all bucket heads to get all upset)

There's some real doggy areas, Highbury anyone?

PS to all bucket heads, I don't live there - just work there sometimes
Now your running Palmy down? its one thing to work there and see the bad areas??
nothing wrong with Palmy i Love the shopping centre and its busy compared to Wangas
Old May 1st 2012, 1:03 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
nothing wrong with Palmy i Love the shopping centre and its busy compared to Wangas
Shopping centre and Wanga Vagas are just two words that don't go together anyway

And as for Bucket town - well it's Eastbourne without the sea isn't it
Old May 1st 2012, 1:38 am

Shopping centre and Wanga Vagas are just two words that don't go together anyway

Whatever my love
Old May 1st 2012, 1:40 am

I don't remember saying I loved Wanganui btw?

But unlike other people I make the most of it and have cool friends and fun wherever I go
Old May 1st 2012, 1:43 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Palmy gets a lot of stick but it really isn't a bad place to be. We lived in Kelvin Grove in one of the older houses but there are a lot of new subdivisions out that way. The area was fine, we would live there again if we moved back.
Genesis has mentioned the library which is great and the square is also quite pleasant to sit in on a sunny day.
It is quite central so getting to Wellington, Taupo, Rotorua, Napier, Taranaki and the volcanoes/ski fields can be done quickly. Most of these are around 2-3 hours drive away.
Genesis
esthteticn (sp!)
aestheticism? aesthetic? ethnic? ethical?
Old May 1st 2012, 1:53 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

I loves it when peeps get all hissy when you slag off their town

John Cleese was spot on

You should come to my town???

5 houses 1 school 1 church 1 hall 2 street lights
No buses, No hoons, No nightlife, No parking fees, No mall, No nothing 'cept green

Well it's not a town it's the wopwop's
Old May 1st 2012, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Now your running Palmy down? its one thing to work there and see the bad areas??
Your new hair do looks really great Bev!!!!!
Old May 1st 2012, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Persephone;aestheticism? aesthetic? ethnic? ethical?[/QUOTE]

the n was not supposed to be at the end!!!
Old May 1st 2012, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

John Cleese was spot on

No buses, No hoons, No nightlife, No parking fees, No mall, No nothing 'cept green

I totally understand all the stick Palmy gets..for one thing it aint by the sea..another it is dull to visit and thought to be wall to wall with shitty students. It is actually an okay place to live if you have a young family. Not sure I would be here if it was just Kate and I though!! And we did not pick Palmy (who would??) it chose us, this is where the job was!!!
Old May 1st 2012, 5:24 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here to back love30stm up. Live in Waganui, go shopping in Palmy. Comin' right back at you re: energy bills. Here in Wanganui we have mains gas plus mains electricity. I've just had a new cooker installed. Gas hob and electric oven. Our gas heater is one of those 'flame effect' ones that looks like it's burning fake logs. We also have 2 heatpumps on timer devices. We've had our celing and floor void insulated.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jjsebba
If my OH doesn't get a job, would we mange on $65k for a while?

We have a 2 year old so she will be going to kindy 3 days a week so OH can set up his business and also keep costs down a bit. Her costs will go down in Jan when she turns 3 if we have our residency permits by then.

We're moving to Palmy so rental prices are substantially lower than the cities and I will most likely walk/cycle to work because I enjoy it so we may not run a vehicle for a little until we get a bit more settled.
Any advice gratefully received.
That's around $31 an hour. We are a couple living on less than that here in the Nelson area. Last year we only grossed $48K, a substantial drop, due to the lean times in trade work but we've survived. Mind you we have no mortgage now & no kids. If we had it would be a bit tough.

No idea about Palmy. Just saying like.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
Your new hair do looks really great Bev!!!!!
Thankyou
Old May 1st 2012, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
I totally understand all the stick Palmy gets..for one thing it aint by the sea..another it is dull to visit and thought to be wall to wall with shitty students. It is actually an okay place to live if you have a young family. Not sure I would be here if it was just Kate and I though!! And we did not pick Palmy (who would??) it chose us, this is where the job was!!!
Agree same as us we didnt choose Wanganui but husband had a offer could not refuse and it's not been to bad for us. And yep I has still to shake Off it's bad reputation.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:35 am

John Cleese was spot on

Would not Live in a dead hole

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.