Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Positive post: Wellington Hospital

Positive post: Wellington Hospital

Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Positive post: Wellington Hospital

Given all the bad press Wellington Hospital has had recently, I'd kept semi-joking to my family that I hoped we'd never have to see the inside of it during our stay here .
However I had to take one of my kids along there to A&E this morning (all ok now would rather not give too many details) and was pleasantly surprised. The Kiwi triage nurse saw us immediately before we had filled in any paperwork. A Welsh nurse looked after us, a young British doctor checked him out and authorised medication but wanted to observe him for a while....finally a Kiwi doctor discharged us. So of the staff we interacted with 50% were British, all were pleasant and the Kiwi doctor who had only just come on duty was the most upbeat of all.
No complaints whatsoever.
What a boring post....
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:21 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive post: Wellington Hospital

Most importantly, I'm so glad your child is OK.

And no it's great to read positive posts!!! Long may it continue. I'm not bothering at all with the vicious nay-sayers at the moment. (and long may that continue too )
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Positive post: Wellington Hospital

Originally Posted by Maz
Most importantly, I'm so glad your child is OK.

And no it's great to read positive posts!!! Long may it continue. I'm not bothering at all with the vicious nay-sayers at the moment. (and long may that continue too )
Cheers Maz. 11 views only one reply so far.......I think balanced posting is best.....I have been known to point out a few negatives myself .

I also meant to add..they want me to call back in with evidence of our visa within the next 10 days so it may be useful for those without PR yet to know that in advance and to take their passport along. It didn't delay treatment at all though.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:33 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got good treatment and your child is OK
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:36 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post
Also, if you live in the Porirua area and have an appointment in the Wellington hospitals, you can go into Keneperu Hospital and book onto the shuttle bus from there free of charge (probably need to show them your appointment details). After your appointment, get the clinic receptionist to book you back onto it
Hope all is now well.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:38 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We used drop-in emergency care centres in NZ a couple of times for our kids and they were very good. (Ok, there was a fee but honestly it was peanuts really)

The doctors were always very thorough and looked after the kids really well; same experience of physio, xray etc. clinics too and all of the staff there were Kiwis as far as I could tell.

Glad your kid was ok, we endured a few late nights visits to casualty back in the UK when ours were very young and they were thoroughly unpleasant experiences (thought our son had meningitis on one occassion) - long waits, crowded waiting rooms and over-worked medical staff.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nerine
We used drop-in emergency care centres in NZ a couple of times for our kids and they were very good. (Ok, there was a fee but honestly it was peanuts really) .....

we endured a few late nights visits to casualty back in the UK when ours were very young and they were thoroughly unpleasant experiences (thought our son had meningitis on one occassion) - long waits, crowded waiting rooms and over-worked medical staff.
Thanks everyone for the good wishes.
For the record there are no private emergency centres in Wellington so the quality of the public service is important for everyone .

In the UK NHS I have had mixed experiences but staff have always been doing their best...the waits have been longer though I'd say on average.
In fact the best service I ever got from UK NHS A&E was when an out of hours GP referred us straight to the children's ward...effectively by-passing A&E and the inevitable wait.....we were then transferred by ambulance in the middle of the night to a hospital able to do emergency surgery..all very stressful...today was a piece of cake in comparison!
The children's play area in the waiting area looked good at Wellington too.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Given all the bad press Wellington Hospital has had recently, I'd kept semi-joking to my family that I hoped we'd never have to see the inside of it during our stay here .
However I had to take one of my kids along there to A&E this morning (all ok now would rather not give too many details) and was pleasantly surprised. The Kiwi triage nurse saw us immediately before we had filled in any paperwork. A Welsh nurse looked after us, a young British doctor checked him out and authorised medication but wanted to observe him for a while....finally a Kiwi doctor discharged us. So of the staff we interacted with 50% were British, all were pleasant and the Kiwi doctor who had only just come on duty was the most upbeat of all.
No complaints whatsoever.
What a boring post....
If your kid had been admitted-the rest of us Brits would ensured you all received the highest quality family centred care too!
Welly Children's Hospital is a superb place to be,morale is improving,and there's a great mix of experience and skill. The male nurses are sodding gorgeous if you ask me!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:50 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
The male nurses are sodding gorgeous if you ask me!
So says the voice of complete and utter (im)modesty. *ducks and runs*
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:50 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

The male nurses are sodding gorgeous if you ask me!
And self effacing and unassuming also...............I THINK NOT!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:51 am
Maz

Originally Posted by karonious
And self effacing and unassuming also...............I THINK NOT!!
Heh. Great minds think alike.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Harsh that. Don't even think me missus would back me up!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

If your kid had been admitted-the rest of us Brits would ensured you all received the highest quality family centred care too!
Welly Children's Hospital is a superb place to be,morale is improving,and there's a great mix of experience and skill. The male nurses are sodding gorgeous if you ask me!
That's great to hear Danny - keep up the good work....glad morale is improving....not sure my kids (male) care how good-looking you all are .
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:40 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Thanks everyone for the good wishes.
For the record there are no private emergency centres in Wellington so the quality of the public service is important for everyone .

In the UK NHS I have had mixed experiences but staff have always been doing their best...the waits have been longer though I'd say on average.
In fact the best service I ever got from UK NHS A&E was when an out of hours GP referred us straight to the children's ward...effectively by-passing A&E and the inevitable wait.....we were then transferred by ambulance in the middle of the night to a hospital able to do emergency surgery..all very stressful...today was a piece of cake in comparison!
The children's play area in the waiting area looked good at Wellington too.
Wonder why that is? emergency care is always needed close to where people live and it takes some of the pressure of the larger A&E centres. There were quite a few around Akl, is the rest of the country not the same then?

The clinic on the North Shore was just round the corner from where we lived and close to school -the two places from which all of the mishaps occured, 2 mins drive at the most. Would've taken 20 mins to get down to NS Hospital, which is a bit far when you've got a kid in pain or needing stitches.