Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Porirua where's nice/ where to avoid?????/

Porirua where's nice/ where to avoid?????/

Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice
Default Re: Porirua where's nice/ where to avoid?????/

The weather in Porirua is pretty much the same as Wellington CBD, and I've always been a bit sceptical that the weather for Wellington/Porirua/Kapiti/Hutt is that different.

Personally I don't find the wind an issue - I guess making sure you choose a house that suffers winds less (i.e. a well built one on a valley floor?) is the key?

Would still move back to Plimmerton in a shot though - plenty of positives (nice atmosphere/close to Wgtn/train station/beach/cafes/chip shop etc) and the only minus I can see is that property does have a bit of a premium over other areas of the 'rua (Whitby, Papakowhai etc).
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:01 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Thanks for thatMattH. Were going to have a drive up the Kapiti coast this pm to check out the area
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

No probs we rented on Sunset Parade for a while - be sure to check out the one that's for sale down there!!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:33 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Originally Posted by MattH
No probs we rented on Sunset Parade for a while - be sure to check out the one that's for sale down there!!
Hi MattH, u right its really lovely in Plimmerton. Checked out the house on Sunset Parade VERY nice for a cool million but way out of our price range
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:16 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Hi MattH, u right its really lovely in Plimmerton. Checked out the house on Sunset Parade VERY nice for a cool million but way out of our price range
RV is $1million - home is asking for around 900k. Been on the market for a long while though - might want to look at offering a bit lower. I know the house you mean, its quite 'retro' but beautiful none the less. We considered that house, but it'd need a fair bit of work done. Lots of lovely homes for sale in Camborne/Plimmerton - some bargains around 600-700k through price reductions. Search using open2view.co.nz.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Pauatahanui is the most exclusive place around these parts and most houses are on lots of land. Plimmerton/camborne and whitby are also very nice especially with the views that most houses have. Aotea I am not so sure is 'posher' - but most of the houses would look nice if they weren't in aotea! The place is very typical of new estates - large houses on small sections.

Also, definitely different climate to Wellington City. Most often the city is windy and miserable when these areas are sheltered and nice.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
We lived next door - it would be out of our range too, although there are deffo some bargains out there - good luck
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:23 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Originally Posted by MattH
We lived next door - it would be out of our range too, although there are deffo some bargains out there - good luck
Thanks MattH we will keep looking there's no rush . Just got to weight up if the commute is worth it. But thanks for the advice
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:47 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind Porirua - it's all a dump!

Get up the Kapiti coast boy!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biddy
Never mind Porirua - it's all a dump!

Get up the Kapiti coast boy!
hiya Biddy... please could you give an idea of travel times (car or otherwise!) to CBD please from best bits of kapiti coast!?!?

thanks everso!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:54 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Travel times approx 1hr on train or anything from 45 mins to 90 mins by car depending on rush hour etc.

Sometimes Friday pms are a nightmare at the various bottlenecks going north but as long as you know it's going to happen you can plan ahead.

Where to live - very subjective obviously!
Generally further N the less expensive.
Raumati - lovely, nice cafes, beach, very leafy feel to it.
Paraparaumu, more built up, more shops, people etc
Waikanae - used to be retirement area but many more younger people now - my town and I love it
Peka Peka and Te Horo - really nice rural areas, lifestyle blocks no shops that sort of stuff.
Otaki - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole although there are some real bargains house wise!

All in all it's a really nice place to live - good schools, great beaches, enough shops so you wont go hungry, relatively low crime etc etc.

Well worth a look!!

(I don't commute and personally would resent coming the other side of the world for an hour each end of the day onn the train - but there are plenty who do! (fools!))
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

(I don't commute and personally would resent coming the other side of the world for an hour each end of the day onn the train - but there are plenty who do! (fools!))
thanks Biddy! not what we're hoping to do either, but wasn't sure on travel times! so, unless we get work further north, we're unlikely to be joining you that far up the coast!!