Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Porirua where's nice/ where to avoid?????/

Porirua where's nice/ where to avoid?????/

Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:31 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice
Default Porirua where's nice/ where to avoid?????/

Hi everyone

Were renting in Welly at the moment and can't find a beautiful home with views that has a garden for the kids. But Porirua looks stunning.
Are there areas to steer clear of?
What are the best areas?
Been advised its little Britain up there, is this true.

Any Porirua people who can help please?

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Porirua where's nice/ where to avoid?????/

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Hi everyone

Were renting in Welly at the moment and can't find a beautiful home with views that has a garden for the kids. But Porirua looks stunning.
Are there areas to steer clear of?
What are the best areas?
Been advised its little Britain up there, is this true.

Any Porirua people who can help please?

Thanks
Whitby is what you talking about, or White-By as some natives call it. Plenty of poms and the like up there.

You certainly want to stay clear of certain areas of Porirua, but most of Whitby and Plimmerton maybe Papakowhai and parts of Camborne are relatively well regarded.

The jury is still out on Titahi Bay, which looks great at first sight and has some nice homes, but is basically a state housing area. Wouldnt live there myself.

Im sure you wont even be considering Porirua central or east.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:28 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Hi Browner

Thanks for that info.
There seems to be a lot of nice houses in Aotea, where's that? Whats it like?
We need an area with good primary schools a private pre-school and a creche as kids are 5, 4 & 20 mths.
Looking at ones on Trade Me in Whitby which look fab. Think we'll have a look around the area this weekend.

Anyone else have any views on the area please

Thanks x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Hi Browner

Thanks for that info.
There seems to be a lot of nice houses in Aotea, where's that? Whats it like?
We need an area with good primary schools a private pre-school and a creche as kids are 5, 4 & 20 mths.

Looking at ones on Trade Me in Whitby which look fab. Think we'll have a look around the area this weekend.

Anyone else have any views on the area please

Thanks x
Aotea is a huge new 'posher' subdivision north of Cannons Creek (which is the pits) , and nearer to Porirua than Whitby.

Lots of views available, the houses are probably quite nice a lot of them. Its probably windy as hell up there. Personally, I dont like the estate as its looks like Brands Hatch with houses around it to me.

If you like Aotea, then there are loads of houses and sections available.

Loads of new sections being built at the south-east end of Whitby now as well, dont suppose they can sell those at the moment.

The weather in that area is definitely better than central Wellington though.

Last edited by Browner_; Mar 11th 2009 at 12:31 am.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem with Aotea now is the catchment area for schools. The further back they go, the area falls into Cannons Creek and Porirua East for schools, and though not wanting to sound snobbish why pay $500k for a house and find you have to send your kid to a decile one school in which you have no access route to get to. Best places to reside in Porirua are Whitby (Because I live there), Papakowhai, Paremata, Plimmerton, Pauatanhanui and parts of Titahi Bay are not that bad. I'd stick clear myself of Cannons Creek, Porirua East, Esldon and Ranui Heights... oh and Aotea (No Buses, over priced, lack of broadband coverage)
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

got to stick up for 'the bay' here, we moved here 6 months ago and love it great value for money house, near to the beach and countryside and fab community. There is state housing here but there are also million $ houses here which makes for a great mix of people in the community i don't think anywhere else will have that.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stasia
got to stick up for 'the bay' here, we moved here 6 months ago and love it great value for money house, near to the beach and countryside and fab community. There is state housing here but there are also million $ houses here which makes for a great mix of people in the community i don't think anywhere else will have that.
I bet the State Houses get a fresh lick of paint more often than some of the private ones, if it's anything like round here - you get a real mixture of grot and nice looking property side by side in all areas of Wellington from what I can see.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
The biggest problem with Aotea now is the catchment area for schools. The further back they go, the area falls into Cannons Creek and Porirua East for schools, and though not wanting to sound snobbish why pay $500k for a house and find you have to send your kid to a decile one school in which you have no access route to get to. Best places to reside in Porirua are Whitby (Because I live there), Papakowhai, Paremata, Plimmerton, Pauatanhanui and parts of Titahi Bay are not that bad. I'd stick clear myself of Cannons Creek, Porirua East, Esldon and Ranui Heights... oh and Aotea (No Buses, over priced, lack of broadband coverage)
Spot on IMO - I'd choose Plimmerton (cos we used to live there!) although it is quite a bit more expensive than other Porirua suburbs.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:33 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Originally Posted by MattH
Spot on IMO - I'd choose Plimmerton (cos we used to live there!) although it is quite a bit more expensive than other Porirua suburbs.
Hi MattH

What's the commute like from Plimmerton to Welly?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be, stick to Wellington, some dodgy ex-pats up in that part of the world
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
My advice would be, stick to Wellington, some dodgy ex-pats up in that part of the world
Oi!!!

About 30mins from Plimmy...
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:54 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

What are the Primary schools and Pre-schools like in Plimmerton?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Plimmerton Primary was excellent with great facilities and good teaching staff - Kindy was ok, although it was hard to get in/had a long waiting list (we left Plimmerton 3 years ago).

Commute-wise it was 35 minutes by car in rush hour door to door (20 mins during day), although I usually took the train (25 minutes + 5 mins at each end!)

Matt
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:52 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Plimmerton Primary was excellent with great facilities and good teaching staff - Kindy was ok, although it was hard to get in/had a long waiting list (we left Plimmerton 3 years ago).

Commute-wise it was 35 minutes by car in rush hour door to door (20 mins during day), although I usually took the train (25 minutes + 5 mins at each end!)

Matt

Hi MattH

Sorry to ask more questions, just trying to get our head around area.

Is the weather better in Plimmerton & Porirua? Its so windy in Welly its starting to really annoy me :curse:

Had a good look around the area last weekend and it looks lovely, VERY tempted go buy there so any other pluses & minuses about the area would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

p.s Very late night post as you can see, but the relentless wind keeping me awake :curse::curse::curse:. Anyone coming to Welly bear this in mind
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think the weather is definitely better up in Porirua/Whitby area.

However, Im mainly thinking of it being warmer and drier, and in some places less exposed to the southerly cold.

But as for wind, well anywhere in Wellington can get pretty windy, and if you buy up on the hills in Whitby its still gonna be pretty windy on occasions.

If you want to try and avoid wind, then you have to buy a more sheltered place down in the valley, but then make sure you get plenty of sun.

Personally, the noise of wind doesnt bother me at all. You have to make sure all the loose bits on your house are bolted down so they dont rattle!

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.