Reload this Page >

Polynesian immigration to NZ

Polynesian immigration to NZ

Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:12 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Polynesian immigration to NZ

Looking at the population- and immigration-statistics, one can't help noticing how the Polynesians tend to immigrate to NZ rather than Australia.

Is there any particular reason for this, other than the admittedly shorter journey of them to do so?

After all, Auckland is the said to be the city with the highest percentage of Polynesian population outside what can be considered as Polynesia, therefore dubbing the city as the capital of the Polynesian world is not totally unfair.

But are there any other factors than distance at play why the Polynesian choose NZ over Australia?

Last edited by THR; Dec 26th 2010 at 11:20 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:15 pm
THR
Account Closed

Default Re: Polynesian immigration to NZ

Hah, I'm asking the same question twice but never mind.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:46 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Looking at the population- and immigration-statistics, one can't help noticing how the Polynesians tend to immigrate to NZ rather than Australia.

Is there any particular reason for this, other than the admittedly shorter journey of them to do so?

After all, Auckland is the said to be the city with the highest percentage of Polynesian population outside what can be considered as Polynesia, therefore dubbing the city as the capital of the Polynesian world is not totally unfair.

But are there any other factors than distance at play why the Polynesian choose NZ over Australia?
I consider NZ part of Polynesia. The Maori are after all Polynesian, and they were there first.

NZ has always been more focussed than Australia on Polynesia. Australia, to make a sweeping generalisation, tends to be more focussed on Asia - after all they're much much closer to Indonesia etc. than NZ is, whereas NZ is really a South Pacific nation. Australia and NZ really don't have that much in common in terms of indigenous groups (Australian aborigines and Maori have very different histories) etc.

There is probably still a lot of immigration because the Polynesian community is so big in NZ and people tend to go to where the friends/rellies are etc, plus, the islands can't support the amount of population they produce. Polynesian influence is one of the things I really miss living in Canada.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Dec 27th 2010 at 4:53 am.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I consider NZ part of Polynesia. The Maori are after all Polynesian, and they were there first.
So do I mate.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:56 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
So do I mate.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:24 am
THR
Account Closed

Perhaps I need to go back to the geography-class. I have always thought that NZ belongs to Oceania together with Australia, Fiji, Tonga and some other countries when as the geographic term "Polynesia" is a bit like "Middle-East" which is part of Asia but still its own distinctive area within Asia. Ditto with Polynesia and Oceania.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point

Migration to New Zealand

Although Samoans have travelled to New Zealand since the early 1900s, it was not until the 1950s that they migrated in large numbers. As New Zealand’s industry and the service sector expanded over the next 30 years, the search for labour was extended to territories and former territories in the Pacific. Many Samoans moved to New Zealand for greater opportunities and a better education for their children.

Overstayers

Entry was not unrestricted. From 1964, the government issued three-month visas, and from 1967 it set annual quotas for immigrants. As long as the demand for labour was strong, the regulations were not enforced. But when the New Zealand economy declined after 1973, this flexibility ended. Dawn raids on the homes of alleged overstayers began in 1974. Politicians blamed Pacific Islanders for overloading social services, and they shaped a negative stereotype of Pacific Islanders.

Although many Samoans and Tongans were guilty of overstaying their visas, the focus on these two ethnic groups was unacceptable to many. They pointed out that the greatest influx of temporary migrants in these years was from the United Kingdom and Australia. For older Pacific Islanders, the traumatic dawn raids remain bitter memories.

The Polynesian Panthers emerged in the 1970s to support Pacific peoples in New Zealand. They informed people of their legal rights, ran homework centres for school children, visited inmates at Auckland’s Pāremoremo prison, put on concerts, and supported Māori protests.

Continuing migration

Despite the tough immigration laws, Samoans continued to enter New Zealand. Between 1971 and 1981 the number of Samoan-born residents doubled, reaching 24,141. In 1982 the Citizenship (Western Samoa) Act granted citizenship to Samoan-born New Zealanders. After that, new quotas for entry were set. Since 2002 the quota has allowed 1,100 Samoans to be granted residence each year.

In 2006, 131,103 people of Samoan ethnicity were living in New Zealand – about half of all those with Pacific ethnicity. A clear majority of Samoans were now born in New Zealand; those born in Samoa numbered 50,649.
No quotas in Australia.

Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I bleieve that the immigration process is much simpler for Pacifica and Samoan than the one we Brits had to go through (don't quote me though).

Also once here, many firms/Universities are given incentives to help them progress well, for example, at the Uni we have clear targets for education.

Jan
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:46 pm
THR
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I bleieve that the immigration process is much simpler for Pacifica and Samoan than the one we Brits had to go through (don't quote me though).

Also once here, many firms/Universities are given incentives to help them progress well, for example, at the Uni we have clear targets for education.

Jan
There should be the same rules for all the people regardless of their origin but if any group is entitled to some preferential treatment don't you think that it is somehow "more natural" to award that treatment to the Pacific islanders rather than the British, or any other Europeans, when we're talking about NZ?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
don't you think that it is somehow "more natural" to award that treatment to the Pacific islanders rather than the British, or any other Europeans, when we're talking about NZ?
Yes, I personally do agree, Europeans arrived in NZ a long time after it was inhabited by (fairly) civilised and educated people.

Jan
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Pacific Islanders and New Zealand citizenship
In 1901 the Cook Islands and Niue both became New Zealand territory; their inhabitants were already British subjects. Tokelauans also became British subjects in 1916. From 1920, New Zealand administered Western Samoa under a League of Nations mandate. While Western Samoa was not part of the British Empire, its inhabitants were seen as being under British protection, and New Zealand governments at first assumed that they would eventually choose incorporation with New Zealand.

The 1923 and 1928 British Nationality and Status of Aliens (in New Zealand) Acts allowed for the naturalisation of residents of Western Samoa, who were exempted from the usual English language requirement. Tokelau was formally annexed by New Zealand in 1948, and so Tokelauans along with Cook Islanders and Niueans were New Zealand citizens from 1 January 1949, when the British Nationality and New Zealand Citizenship Act of 1948 came into force.

Western Samoans after independence
Western Samoa achieved independence in 1962. Thereafter, Western Samoans in New Zealand had uncertain citizenship status. During the 1970s many Western Samoans entered New Zealand on temporary work permits, and some stayed after these expired.

In 1982 the Privy Council reinterpreted the 1923 and 1928 acts and ruled that all Western Samoans born between 1924 and 1948 were British subjects. Therefore, in 1949 they and their descendants (more than 100,000 living people) had become New Zealand citizens. New Zealand was reluctant to give citizenship to almost all Western Samoans, as the Privy Council ruling required. The New Zealand and Western Samoan governments negotiated a compromise. The Citizenship (Western Samoa) Act 1982 overturned the Privy Council ruling. But all Western Samoan citizens who were in New Zealand on 14 September 1982, and those subsequently granted permanent residence, became entitled to New Zealand citizenship.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/citizenship/3
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:41 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
There should be the same rules for all the people regardless of their origin but if any group is entitled to some preferential treatment don't you think that it is somehow "more natural" to award that treatment to the Pacific islanders rather than the British, or any other Europeans, when we're talking about NZ?
If this irritates you then suggest you stay in Finland - NZ has reached ridiculous positive-descrimination levels.!!!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:52 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
No. What has geographical proximity or national origin got to do with entitlement other than convenience and prejudice? And while nationality and ancestry colours our opinions about where we fit in the world, what does it objectively say about personal worth or personal entitlement. Nothing as far as I can see.

If you're talking about human nature then it seems by observation that it's more 'natural' to give preferential treatment to the people who can benefit your own agenda regardless of their origin.

The underlying aim of positive discrimination is to level the playing field regardless of the causes of the discrimination that it is intended to counteract. In that sense I think it goes against human nature - most people I know spend their lives trying to tilt the playing field to their own advantage.

As you can see, I have a cynical opinion regarding human nature and there's not much about human behaviour that is 'natural' in my worldview.

None of us are born with a 'right' to own anything or live anywhere. Private property, the principle of inheritance, and nationality are all social conventions.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Interesting, people are forgetting that Australia had a whites only policy for Australia that was still in force when I landed there in 1972.
The immigration officer and I had a laugh over the fact that Maori were honourary whites and had been so since 1910.

Who had the greater moral right to immigrate to NZ , a bloke from Holland or a Tongan who had served in the NZ forces during WW1 ?
Along with Maori from the Cook Islands, Ellis Islands, blokes from Fiji etc etc etc.

It was a disgrace that they and their families were not offered citizenship in NZ after WW1 in recognition of their service to NZ.

But, I will say the minister of the day made damn sure they would be paid the same rate as any other Kiwi soldier, with rank being the only difference in pay, no wonder he had a scrap with the British over that.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/leger-brothers
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by tehori
Interesting, people are forgetting that Australia had a whites only policy for Australia that was still in force when I landed there in 1972.
The immigration officer and I had a laugh over the fact that Maori were honourary whites and had been so since 1910.

Who had the greater moral right to immigrate to NZ , a bloke from Holland or a Tongan who had served in the NZ forces during WW1 ?
Along with Maori from the Cook Islands, Ellis Islands, blokes from Fiji etc etc etc.

It was a disgrace that they and their families were not offered citizenship in NZ after WW1 in recognition of their service to NZ.

But, I will say the minister of the day made damn sure they would be paid the same rate as any other Kiwi soldier, with rank being the only difference in pay, no wonder he had a scrap with the British over that.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/leger-brothers
I agree.

Or that Aboriginals only got the vote in the 1960s, whereas Maori had it long before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.