Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Police investigations NZ

Police investigations NZ

Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Delsonk9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police investigations NZ

I am a bit concerned regarding 2 news stories that seem to be constantly in the NZ papers, I am at a loss how police are refused permision by the familys of children that have died illegally to be interviewed. Is this the norm in NZ ? surely investigations into such serious offences must take place asap and without elders or familys refusing to speak to police, I am bemused by this apparent attitude.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Police investigations NZ

Originally Posted by Delsonk9
I am a bit concerned regarding 2 news stories that seem to be constantly in the NZ papers, I am at a loss how police are refused permision by the familys of children that have died illegally to be interviewed. Is this the norm in NZ ? surely investigations into such serious offences must take place asap and without elders or familys refusing to speak to police, I am bemused by this apparent attitude.
NZ has different cultures... and it is not surprising that you are bemused by it given that a large number of kiwis are also bemused by it. I also think that there is an awful lot that we are not being told by the media and I trust the the police have their reasons for behaving as they are.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Delsonk9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks apple. when we were out there in August no one wanted to talk about it and no one had mentioned it on here, that was all.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:04 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand it either, two babies died and their family are in my eyes obstructing the course of justice which in itself is an offence isn't it?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
I don't understand it either, two babies died and their family are in my eyes obstructing the course of justice which in itself is an offence isn't it?
Like somebody said, there is probably a lot going on behind the scenes the media isnt reporting.

on the obstruction of justice thing, I can sort of see how it may happen, an extended family of 5 - 8 refuse to tell the police who was involved in the event. the police knows it is one of them, but cannot charge an individual as they have no evidence to show which one it is. They can probably all be charged with obstruction of justice, but thats not as bad as murder.

Im not sure if there are any differences in cultural and contemporary law that may influence how police interview suspects who are Maori (eg there are rules about entering a Marae that one should adhere too etc)

anyone who kills a baby needs to go to jail forever, and anyone who knows who did it and says nothing too..