Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Police Certificate

Police Certificate

Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Police Certificate

Hi,

wonder if anyone can help, i just recieved my police certificate and it read "No live Trace" (couple of minor convictions 1983, 1987 ) i sent these to our agent working on our behalf. she says NZ dont reconise step downs and i must provide written proof of my convictions. i spoke to ACRO and they confirmed my convictions verbally, but said i was very unusual to requested written consent ( they had never been asked before ).... i am now confussed will my application be rejected because of " No Live Trace ".......Anyone Help !
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:53 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Certificate

Hi there, we are in a similar situation. OH (and main applicant) had a minor conviction in 88, a drunken student prank whilst at Uni that went wrong basically, he didn't serve any time for it and was only made to pay for the damage. So a very minor offence but it still gave him a criminal record. So his police certificate also came back as "no live trace".

We declared this conviction on the EOI and gave full details of what happened. We sent in our ITA on 25th June (it was lodged 2 days later), and so far, we have not received any queries about it.

Fingers crossed that we won't! 22 days and counting, I hate playing the waiting game!

Good luck with your application, what route are you taking?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi thanks for that - I think it is now resolved - we are applying under skilled migrant & applying for PR - just waiting for one document so after that the process should speed up a bit - not sure which part of NZ we are off to but Bay of plenty is looking fave, What about you ?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Android is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bolton1
Hi thanks for that - I think it is now resolved - we are applying under skilled migrant & applying for PR - just waiting for one document so after that the process should speed up a bit - not sure which part of NZ we are off to but Bay of plenty is looking fave, What about you ?
hi,

hope everything goes ok... I'm gonna get my UK police certificate soon, i believe i've got no convictions or cautions or any other but i haven't paid my last credit card and phone bill which makes me feel anxious ( i'm now seriously taking care of it and will sort it out a.s.a.p)

cheers
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:04 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton1
Good to hear, hope you're right and these little things don't come back to bite us on the bum Have you submitted your EOI already then?

Bay of Plenty seems to be a favourite with many people, we still haven't made up our minds, though Christchurch is high on the list, simply because we spent 2 months there in 2006/2007 so know the place well and almost feels like home already . We also know a couple of people there, and being one of the big cities it'd hopefully be easier to find jobs as well, so all things considered it'd make it easier to settle down I guess.

But not sure we'd stay there long term, I think I'd like to go somewhere warmer, and would love the north of the North Island so I could go diving . Then again, you can go swimming with dolphins and seals and watch the whales in the South Island.... hmmm... decisions, decisions

Good luck with your application, keep us posted!

By the way, are you in / from Bolton?! We'll be there tomorrow! That's where OH's family lives and where he pretty much grew up! Isn't it a small world...

Originally Posted by Android
hi,

hope everything goes ok... I'm gonna get my UK police certificate soon, i believe i've got no convictions or cautions or any other but i haven't paid my last credit card and phone bill which makes me feel anxious ( i'm now seriously taking care of it and will sort it out a.s.a.p)

cheers
Android, I'm not completely sure, but I don't think that kind of thing would show on a police certificate, however it can only be a good thing to get it sorted as otherwise you'll have a bad credit record and that's something that can and probably will come back to bit you on the bum at some point... Good on you for taking care of it... good luck with it all!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:14 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Hi all

Our CO has come back to us regarding our police records. Well, OH's police record to be exact.

He has a minor conviction dating back to 1988, and as such all the police record shows is "no live trace", without giving any more details.

We've now been asked to provide a statutory declaration describing the events, to be witnessed by a solicitor or notary public.

Has anyone had to do this before? Is it just a question of simply writing down what happened on the day and having it signed by a solicitor, without any further backing from the police?!?

Any advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

it says "no live trace" when you dont have a criminal record.
mine came back as no live trace and i have never even had a caution let alone a record, so when it says no live trace thats a good thing and means that the police database doesnt hold any information in your name relating to any criminal activity or record, there should be an explanation sheet with you results, allthough mine was one of the first acpo ones but i dont think they have changed anything,
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gina and danny
it says "no live trace" when you dont have a criminal record.
mine came back as no live trace and i have never even had a caution let alone a record, so when it says no live trace thats a good thing and means that the police database doesnt hold any information in your name relating to any criminal activity or record, there should be an explanation sheet with you results, allthough mine was one of the first acpo ones but i dont think they have changed anything,
Sorry, but my certificate says 'No Trace'. According to the blurb with the certificate, 'No Live Trace' means that you DO have a record and info IS held about you but that it is 'stepped down'. Hope that this helps.

Last edited by Rock Ape; Jul 29th 2008 at 5:53 pm. Reason: hit the wrong key - fumble-fingers!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi - I agree with the above . Mine says No trace which I have been told means that my criminal record is clean. I have an enhanced CRB (Criminal Records Beaureau ) check as part of my job so know that this is correct. No live trace means that there is no current convictions ( also would register cautions) but there is a history.

The agency that you applied for the police certificate can tell you verbally what any recorded offences are but will not put them in writing.They advise you to apply for a CRB. There is a cost to this about £40.00.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:12 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.... yes, I know the difference between "no trace" (me, no police record) and "no live trace" (OH, very old conviction so yes, a criminal record, but not a current one).

I was just wondering if anyone else had to do this statutory declaration and knew what it entails, i.e. whether we can just type it ourselves and get a solicitor to sign it or whether we need to use an official form, etc.

Bolton1, thanks for the tip on applying for a CRB check, I'll look it up, though I guess if they wanted that they would've asked for it direct? I'm confused though, didn't you say in your original post that your police record had come back with "no live trace"? Did you manage to get it updated or something?

Hope we can find a local solicitor who can do this quickly.... once we get this done we'll move onto the next stage - the interview! yikes!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:16 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Well it looks like only companies are allowed to ask for CRB checks, I just had a look at their website and it says "these checks cannot be obtained by members of the public directly". So I guess that's why they didn't ask us to get one, but do a statutory declaration instead....
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: Police Certificate

Originally Posted by Water Lily
Hi all

Our CO has come back to us regarding our police records. Well, OH's police record to be exact.

He has a minor conviction dating back to 1988, and as such all the police record shows is "no live trace", without giving any more details.

We've now been asked to provide a statutory declaration describing the events, to be witnessed by a solicitor or notary public.

Has anyone had to do this before? Is it just a question of simply writing down what happened on the day and having it signed by a solicitor, without any further backing from the police?!?

Any advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Hi, I'm interested in answer too, my OH was a naughty boy in his teens, nothing horrendous but.... he also doesn't remember the exact details of any of them, most pranks/drink related! Was hoping the police check would go into detail but it says "no live trace"!!!!!

what should we do?

nic
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:39 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Hi Nic, well you are in the same situation as us, so I guess they'll ask you for one of these statutory declarations as well.

I'll take it you haven't submitted your ITA yet? (I'm looking at the timeline in your signature).

We are planning to phone the ACRO tomorrow morning as OH doesn't remember exact dates etc (we're talking 20 years ago!!). Bolton1 says they will confirm your history verbally, I guess that'll be enough, he just needs to write down a few details so that his declaration in front of the solicitor is as accurate as possible.

I'll let you know how we get on.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: Police Certificate

No ITA received yet.... although did have an e-mail today asking if OH did a registered apprenticeship, he did as it's the only way to become a mechanic and get qualifications, so hopefully watch this space.

Thanks would love to hear how you get on, his was 20 years ago too, if only we knew in our teens what would come back to bite us on the bum - but then teenagers will never be told1

nic
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi all

Individuals apply for a CRB ( maybe the company requires it) eg if you want to work with children & young people). It may be worth ringing them to see how you can apply if necessary.

I am clear but OH has no live trace. After reading this I think we will do a statement & get it signed - just in case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.