Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Please Tell Me Why?

Please Tell Me Why?

Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all
Default Please Tell Me Why?

So we were considering moving to New Zealand to be near one of our daughters. And when I have looked I find that even though we would have tens of thousands of pounds and three pensions to rely on, it could take years to discover if we were even eligble to be allowed to move there? Could someone please tell me why that would be so? We obviously would not be a drain on the country and would be more than likely be sponsored by our daughter anyway. So what is the problem? Is there anyone out there that could supply a good reason why we cannot move to be with our daughter and grandchildren?
Best Wishes
Pam.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:38 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Tell Me Why?

Hi Pam

Please see this link to the NZ Immigration Website, which provides the "official" answer.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...m/live/parent/

Basically, if you have a million bucks, then its 18months, if not up to seven years.

Probably not what you want to hear, but there is no way around these things.

You are entitled to stay here for six months in every year, under a vistors visa if that is of any help.

Last edited by Catchafire; Sep 27th 2012 at 1:21 am.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:42 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to NZ - you'll get used to it - don't worry
Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes it feels unfair but TBH tens of thousands dont go very far in NZ and from what
I can gather the IRD will have a field day on all your pensions
Its no different for Kiwis going to the uk so it works both ways
Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Yep he's right - there is no tax free allowance n NZ so every single cent of your pensions will be taxed

New Zealand's immigration policy is designed to "upskill" the country. Whilst in principle there is no objection to immigration for parents joining children already living here, the older relatives probably won't be contributing to the shortage of skills (forgive me if I am wrong in your case) and so the immigration service in NZ don't make it a priority. Hence the very long time frames.....

Jan
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all

Thank you all very much for your answers and well, we wont be going for it if that is how long it takes and I hear we also have to pay for the privelidge of just showing an interest, hmm I do not think so :thumbdown
I think instead we will spend our golden years in Cyprus and let our children come and visit us. The tax situation is 100% better as well there
Thanks once again and good luck to anyone trying to actually get in to N.Z.
Best Wishes
Pam.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:38 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pam, the harsh truth is that you will be bringing no skills to the workforce (not that you have no skills but you aren't going to use them if you are retiring here) and may be expected to require care/medical resources without having had an opportunity to contribute to the economy. That is why points for age decline as age increases....

All quite sensible from NZ's PoV. Can be difficult for everyone as individuals with split families but is certainly something we took into account when emigrating here.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Hi Pam, the harsh truth is that you will be bringing no skills to the workforce (not that you have no skills but you aren't going to use them if you are retiring here) and may be expected to require care/medical resources without having had an opportunity to contribute to the economy. That is why points for age decline as age increases....

All quite sensible from NZ's PoV. Can be difficult for everyone as individuals with split families but is certainly something we took into account when emigrating here.
Hi Simomsi and thank you for your view. I think it is a real shame that N.Z. have the attitude they do towards rels of people that are working out there. We would not be wanting benefits and would pay for medical care should we need it, we both worked in the U.K as nurses and really aren't sure in which country we would like to retire to or possibly stay here of course. We were just gobsmacked at what we think is a very outdated system but for us it is not the end of the world as I think the main choice will be U.K or Cyprus as obviously the U.K. is our home and Cyprus a very welcoming country that also has a very good tax arrangement with the U.K.
I would not be prepared to wait 7 years for any country to decide if they wanted me and my money and also have to pay for the same decision.
I really appreciate all the info that has been given and that you have taken the time to answer and luckily my daughter and family are coming in March for a months holiday so will see them soon
I now see why so many on this forum have been so frustrated and been posting for so many years ha ha, I wish you all luck.
It would be quite interesting to have a thread of how long everyone has had to wait to be accepted?
Best Wishes to all.
Pam.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:28 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by positive pam
we both worked in the U.K as nurses
Then frankly the "easy" way in would be for one of you to work for 3mths as a nurse here.....that would likely cover you for immediate PR, once here and the initial 3-mth work check by NZIS there don't seem to be any further checks and providing you continue to support yourself it wouldn't be an issue...
Old Sep 28th 2012, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Cyprus is nice
Old Sep 28th 2012, 10:21 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Please Tell Me Why?

Originally Posted by Justcol
Cyprus is nice
I like Cyprus but I'd imagine perfection would get very tiresome. We are British, we only deserve misery, sadness, disappointment and marriage.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I like Cyprus but I'd imagine perfection would get very tiresome. We are British, we only deserve misery, sadness, disappointment and marriage.
Ha ha, I like that Charismatic, what is it with us Brits we do enjoy basking in misery and of course we couldn't even moan about the weather if we were in Cyprus ay? But I actually do not think Cyprus is perfect they poison dogs and that is a really big issue for us! And that is just one thing. Hmm cant win really
Back to the drawing board possibly?
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Then frankly the "easy" way in would be for one of you to work for 3mths as a nurse here.....that would likely cover you for immediate PR, once here and the initial 3-mth work check by NZIS there don't seem to be any further checks and providing you continue to support yourself it wouldn't be an issue...
Thanks Simonsi for that info, that is quite interesting, never thought bout that. Omg not sure if i could stand the strain tho ha ha.