Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice
Default Re: Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

[. Can You Help Us?we Would Like To Be Close To The Sea, In The Suburbs But Within Easy Commuting Distance To Jobs And Good Schools[/QUOTE]

Have you considered Tauranga ? Lovely beaches at the Mount and Papamoa
Schools seem to have a good reputation .Its a great place for kids especially in the summer months. There are lots of new subdivisions going up so I would imagine there will be work for your husband.But as Biddy said theres lots of places in New Zealand that are simalar to what you are looking for. So happy hunting

Last edited by ex geordie; Jun 5th 2006 at 9:57 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

glasgae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dawn Clair
Hi Sheil347,

I have just returned from New Zealand after living there for the last 5 years. I lived in Rotorua for a years and Auckland for four years, they are both great places, although Auckland has much more to offer, city life, great schools and not far to beaches. I lived in Titirangi in West Auckland, very near Piha beach, a wonderful place.

Dawn
Hi Dawn
I'm going to be arriving in Auckland in about a month's time and I've been looking at estate/letting agents' websites. I liked the look of titrangi too - can you tell me roughly what sort of price you paid? Are there ever any houses to let out that way?

Any other tips generally appreciated!
Old Jun 18th 2006, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Dawn Clair is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. I was renting a one large bedroom unit in Titirangi, paying 200 NZ dollars a week. Titirangi is one of the most expensive areas in West Auckland (but the best), has some great coffee places and beaches, lots of walking tracks. I know some friends that might be able to help, as they rent out property in this area, what are you looking for?

I hope this is helpful

Thanks
Dawn
Old Jun 18th 2006, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ex geordie
[. Can You Help Us?we Would Like To Be Close To The Sea, In The Suburbs But Within Easy Commuting Distance To Jobs And Good Schools
Schools seem to have a good reputation .Its a great place for kids especially in the summer months. There are lots of new subdivisions going up so I would imagine there will be work for your husband.But as Biddy said theres lots of places in New Zealand that are simalar to what you are looking for. So happy hunting [/QUOTE]

Hi Geordie!

What is the weather like in Tauranga at the moment? We are coming over soon - hopefully August time if everything is smooth with the house, we fancy Papamoa to live, so was pleased when I saw you recommend it! Debating whether to buy an electric blanket to ship and whether to put a hot water bottlew in my luggage?

Cheers Nicola
Old Jun 18th 2006, 10:45 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Schools seem to have a good reputation .Its a great place for kids especially in the summer months. There are lots of new subdivisions going up so I would imagine there will be work for your husband.But as Biddy said theres lots of places in New Zealand that are simalar to what you are looking for. So happy hunting
Hi Geordie!

What is the weather like in Tauranga at the moment? We are coming over soon - hopefully August time if everything is smooth with the house, we fancy Papamoa to live, so was pleased when I saw you recommend it! Debating whether to buy an electric blanket to ship and whether to put a hot water bottlew in my luggage?

Cheers Nicola[/QUOTE]

Born and bred on the slopes of The Mount

Just try and get in the Papamoa pub on New Years
Kiwi
Old Jun 18th 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

[]

Hi Geordie!

Cheers Nicola[/QUOTE]

Weather can be good or bad! some days we are having lovely sunshine and blue skys 17degrees then another day it can be raining .Its cold at night so hot water bottles are a good idea.Its similar to a british autumn . The only problem is lack of central heating !!
Old Jun 18th 2006, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

[]

Hi Geordie!

Cheers Nicola
Temperature dropped to 11 degrees today BRRRRR!!
LINDA
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sheil347
I Am A Housewife, Married To A Plumber And We Are Desperate To Move To New Zealand, But Cannot Decide Where Will Be Best For Us!we Have Three Children Aged 10,7 And 5, My Husband Is A Plumber And Is Currently Working In A College Teaching Plumbing And Heating Installation. Can You Help Us?we Would Like To Be Close To The Sea, In The Suburbs But Within Easy Commuting Distance To Jobs And Good Schools
Hi Sheil347.

We have been in NZ for two years now and are happy enough with the move.
As a plumber, you will virtually be able to pick where you want to be in NZ.

You may find it that it will come down to picking between job offers.
We could have gone anywhere in NZ.

I see that someone has suggested your husband may be able to teach in colleges. Um - No ! He will not have the relevant NZ qualifications to do that.

Its back on the tools for him.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 19th 2006 at 2:02 am.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 2:10 am
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

The best place to live in NZ?....... A few months ago I would 've said the north shore, winterless north..... but I'm here listening to the rain beat against the windows which are so steamed up I can't see through them and I'm wondering if I dare put another heater on ...... & making copious quanties of warm drinks (milo)

How long now until summer and can we last that long?
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:03 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathyc
The best place to live in NZ?....... A few months ago I would 've said the north shore, winterless north..... but I'm here listening to the rain beat against the windows which are so steamed up I can't see through them and I'm wondering if I dare put another heater on ...... & making copious quanties of warm drinks (milo)

How long now until summer and can we last that long?
Cathy, have you got a dehumidifier? We've got two running 24/7 at the back of the house, the temperature isn't great but it's not at all damp so it's doesn't feel so cold and there's no condensation at all.

To work out how much electricity it would cost you = the kw of your appliance (check the book that came with it) X the price your elec co. charge per kw per hour X the number of hours you run it for...
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

LINDA
Same here..... 11 degrees also.... thats the coldest day we've had since we got here just over a year ago. I still dont bother putting on a coat when I go out though... seem to have got out of the habit. I'm looking forward to it getting a bit warmer too although not too hot as hot weather and big fat preggy bellies arnt a good mixture
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

LINDA
So should I buy an electric blanket? Whereabouts do you live in Tauranga? What is the town like?

Nicola
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apollo10
I see that someone has suggested your husband may be able to teach in colleges. Um - No ! He will not have the relevant NZ qualifications to do that.

Its back on the tools for him.
As Apollo10 says I would imagine he'd need to be fully qualified as a plumber in NZ and probably with a bit of local experience under his belt, but there are no special requirements to teach at tertiary level beyond experience. A lot of places may want some sort of adult teaching certificate, but that can usually be obtained 'on the job' and via the Open Poly. Lots of PTEs involved in trade skill training, and a big growth area so well worth getting involved in.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

So should I buy an electric blanket? Whereabouts do you live in Tauranga? What is the town like?

Nicola

Definately!!! We all have one, have no heating in the bedrooms but it doesn't matter as you just rip your clothes off and jump into a lovely warm bed!
Are you getting one when you get here or bringing one with you? We just brought a double, dual control for $45 which is fine but the lovely fleecy ones are twice that amount.

Sorry, dont know much about Tauranga have only been there for a day trip but it seemed nice
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Nicola
We live in Ohauiti 15 mins drive from city centre.TAURANGA is very modern we have been here 2 years now and its changing all the time .There are more shops been built in both Tauranga and Papamoa and lots of new sub divisions.
There are plenty of restaurants and coffee shops. The only problem is the transport as you need to drive every where as it is spread out and the local bus service is pretty poor during the week as they stop running at about 6 oclock and there is none on at all on a Sunday.
The beaches at Papamoa and the Mount are lovely .Its a fantastic place during the summer months.

I think the hardest thing is finding new friends . Kiwis tend to entertain alot at home rather than go out so you find yourself inviting people around for a meal and drinks on a weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.