Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Please, please don't ship with Pickfords!

Please, please don't ship with Pickfords!

Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Please, please don't ship with Pickfords!

Particularly the Birmingham branch!

MUPPETS!

Basically our stuff arrived a week and a bit ago, well excited.

I was contacted by Pickfords here and then MAF wanted to inspect some goods. Of course this was exptected, and they did a thorough job looking at loads of stuff, and everything passed with flying colours (including motorcycle, so was over the moon).

Also within the shipment was some animal skins, shell and some antler carvings. All are fine, but of course I declared them to customs. These items were placed out in the open during packing, and I explicitly told the packing guys (and move manager etc.) that they were present - no problem they said, we understand NZ MAF, we'll put them all in the same box and perform necessary inventory.

So I received a phone call from MAF... they couldnt find them on the inventory. They tried again a few days later, still nothing.

They have now looked at 50 boxes out of 204... still cannot find it.

Why?

BECAUSE PICKFORDS DIDNT PERFORM THE JOB THEY WERE PAID TO DO!!!

Pickfords here said it was shocking inventory, and have contacted the UK branch to complain. I have contacted them and they have said its not their reponsibility - but if the packers physically handle an item of risk they will itemise it!

BO**OCKS!!

Can you tell I'm mad?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Rachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really nice
Default Re: Please, please don't ship with Pickfords!

Originally Posted by rick78

MUPPETS!

I was contacted by Pickfords here and then MAF wanted to inspect some goods. Of course this was exptected, and they did a thorough job looking at loads of stuff, and everything passed with flying colours (including motorcycle, so was over the moon).

Also within the shipment was some animal skins, shell and some antler carvings. All are fine, but of course I declared them to customs. These items were placed out in the open during packing, and I explicitly told the packing guys (and move manager etc.) that they were present - no problem they said, we understand NZ MAF, we'll put them all in the same box and perform necessary inventory.

So I received a phone call from MAF... they couldnt find them on the inventory. They tried again a few days later, still nothing.

Why?

Pickfords here said it was shocking inventory, and have contacted the UK branch to complain. I have contacted them and they have said its not their reponsibility - but if the packers physically handle an item of risk they will itemise it!

BO**OCKS!!

Can you tell I'm mad?
Oh no, just booked with them.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

the birmingham branch?

it may sound harsh, and probably is, but the emotions at the moment are all over the place for us all

if they just itemised properly we'd be fine... although i'm not going to recommend them to anyone

just make sure you watch them like a hawk and they itemise anything that may be checked... and use the minimum number of boxes for all risk goods.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Rachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really nice

the birmingham branch?

it may sound harsh, and probably is, but the emotions at the moment are all over the place for us all

if they just itemised properly we'd be fine... although i'm not going to recommend them to anyone

just make sure you watch them like a hawk and they itemise anything that may be checked... and use the minimum number of boxes for all risk goods.
No preston branch for us, they have actually been great. I will stand over them like a hawk. don't have too many risk goods. the push bikes and a wooden chest. uuummmm not sure what else. i will look into it and put it all together for them to pack.

Tell you what, it seem to take forever to get applications complete then be accepted. Since our visa's came back time has flown. Panic is starting to set in now a little. we only have 45 days until they come and take all our stuff away. Where are the days/weeks going....

did you feel the same? someways can't wait to arrive but in other ways i want time to slow down... (just breath and relax).
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

just sit down and relax and enjoy your last days in the UK!

it was quite scary flying over here into the unknown, but also very very exciting.

i must say that so far its been excellent... 4 weeks in... first 2 weeks on holiday and the next two weeks at work

work is great, everyone is great... loving NZ atm (just want my stuff now!!)

we move into our new house tomorrow so its not all doom and gloom!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

just sit down and relax and enjoy your last days in the UK!

it was quite scary flying over here into the unknown, but also very very exciting.

i must say that so far its been excellent... 4 weeks in... first 2 weeks on holiday and the next two weeks at work

work is great, everyone is great... loving NZ atm (just want my stuff now!!)

we move into our new house tomorrow so its not all doom and gloom!
arrrhh brilliant about house and hopefully furniture won't be much longer.
speak again soon :-)
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I had them round to do a quote, I just laughed when he told me how much. The way he said they wrapped and packed everything just seemed so over the top, their quote was more than just buying new.

Simpsons in Chesterfield were spot on. No BS just a great price and some great stories from the guy that packed our gear away.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

MUPPETS!

Why?

BO**OCKS!!

Can you tell I'm mad?
Did you check & sign the inventory with them after packing?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Moomette is an unknown quantity at this point

Does sound like you had really bad luck with your packers. We used Pickfords from London and had no problems. The itemisation was very rough, but then again I wasn't expecting them to write down every single item (would've taken an extra day if they had with all our bits and bobs) and we didn't really have many high risk items either. Also they gave us a copy of the inventory to check and sign before they left, so that was all good, plus gave us time to go through it before doing the MAF and Customs paperwork, as they wanted to know the box numbers for items of interest.

Just wanted to write this for any people that have booked with Pickfords to not worry too much as our experience was good and not a single breakage either.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords Norwich Branch and they were absolutely spot on. would recommend them and use them again. Sorry to hear your experience was crap. its a shame there is so much difference within the same company Bevissa
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:21 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords and it was the Birmingham branch. Thankfully all good for us but then we didnt have any items of concern. Sorry to hear of the hassles you are having, must be bloody infuriating !! But hopefully it wont be much longer until you have your stuff and it will soon become a distant memory
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Pickfords - Nottingham excellent no problems