Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Please List Positives (ONLY) of New Zealand

Please List Positives (ONLY) of New Zealand

Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of
Smile Please List Positives (ONLY) of New Zealand

My husband is a Kiwi and after 7 years in Scotland (and one too many freezing winters) I have agreed to move back to NZ at end of year with our two wee girls (aged 5 and 3). I have done my research and know ALL the things I need to prepare for (i.e the negatives - which I don't want to dwell on for the moment). So, before I change my mind about going and head for the divorce courts PLEASE tell me why you went and why you stay and what you truly love about the country.

Many many thanks
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please List Positives (ONLY) of New Zealand

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
My husband is a Kiwi and after 7 years in Scotland (and one too many freezing winters) I have agreed to move back to NZ at end of year with our two wee girls (aged 5 and 3). I have done my research and know ALL the things I need to prepare for (i.e the negatives - which I don't want to dwell on for the moment). So, before I change my mind about going and head for the divorce courts PLEASE tell me why you went and why you stay and what you truly love about the country.

Many many thanks
IMO we love..............
freedom for the kids to play & be kids, the playgrounds are mostly nicley kept & the kids play nicely with each other.
park is generally free (except in city)
freindly people
relaxed atmoshere
fantastic scenery
it far away from most places & doesn't generally get involved wars etc & is seen as a safe country

BTW , my kids are 5 & 3 & we've been here since april & they love it here

we came for an chance to live somewhere different & for more family time ( which we have)
we stay cos we love living here, it suits us its like a second skin to us

(theres more but its bedtime now (zzzzzzzzzzzz ) which is why i'm probably not making much sense )

Last edited by poppets; Jan 18th 2007 at 9:57 am.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Why we came - got sick of having the car broken into (14 times in 2 years), tired of feeling unsafe in my own home, hubby had no permanent work and we wanted a better life for our kids.

Why we stay - can't afford to move back anyway hubby has new job as wannabe plumber, nice house, nice car, personally had 2 lots of crime in 3 years, kids love it here now.

What we love - the beaches are easy to get to, someone was willing to give an apprenticeship to a 41yo, our house is far bigger than we could ever afford in the UK

Last edited by dlmckay; Jan 18th 2007 at 9:57 am. Reason: didn't express myself properly
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:05 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Feijoas rock the free world! I like that about New Zealand.

I like it when my Thai wife goes through immigration the customs people always tell her, "Welcome home". Those two words can really brighten a dark day, let me tell you.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:18 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

the britishexpats

they have all taken on board a new life there, respect their hosts forging a great community that assist future expats. you will find a fantastic support network should you emmigrate there.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:56 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Many many thanks
Like you, my husband is also a Kiwi, but I have travelled around NZ when we were young, and free spirited. We had an amazing time, beautiful scenery and we love camping and 4wding, so its a great place for that. It has the beaches and the mountains without travelling too far. And its only a stones throw from the pacific islands and Aussie. We've since decided to take our little family (3months and 2.5 years) back to NZ to set up home. We think its a great place for a family, much safer and more places to take them. My husband has some wonderful tales of his childhood there,as I'm sure your husband does. The food is lovely, the beer and wine are the best I've ever tasted. Taking a holiday in the South Island is just breathtaking, and the skiing is awesome. I can't wait for us spend the evenings walking along the beach, have bbqs in the summer, use air miles to flit over to Tonga. The thing I found about Kiwis, is that initially they seem 'stand offish' but once they get to know you, they're friends for life. They have more time for friends and family.

Hope this helps!

Nikki x

PS, I'm going over a tourist visa and then applying while I'm over there, with hubby sponsoring me, not sure if that's something you're considering. Have you also got the citizenship and passports sorted out for the kids? We're just going through this process for my baby!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Like you, my husband is also a Kiwi, but I have travelled around NZ when we were young, and free spirited. We had an amazing time, beautiful scenery and we love camping and 4wding, so its a great place for that. It has the beaches and the mountains without travelling too far. And its only a stones throw from the pacific islands and Aussie. We've since decided to take our little family (3months and 2.5 years) back to NZ to set up home. We think its a great place for a family, much safer and more places to take them. My husband has some wonderful tales of his childhood there,as I'm sure your husband does. The food is lovely, the beer and wine are the best I've ever tasted. Taking a holiday in the South Island is just breathtaking, and the skiing is awesome. I can't wait for us spend the evenings walking along the beach, have bbqs in the summer, use air miles to flit over to Tonga. The thing I found about Kiwis, is that initially they seem 'stand offish' but once they get to know you, they're friends for life. They have more time for friends and family.

Hope this helps!

Nikki x

PS, I'm going over a tourist visa and then applying while I'm over there, with hubby sponsoring me, not sure if that's something you're considering. Have you also got the citizenship and passports sorted out for the kids? We're just going through this process for my baby!
Hi Littletoe,

Thanks for that.

We will apply for childrens citizenship and NZ passports before we go and I will get my visa there as it seems to be a lot cheaper to do it in NZ. Do you know how long it takes to get the childrens passports? Also I am worried about the schooling in New Zealand, have you any thoughts on that?

I have been a few times to NZ and I am sure my wee girls will love it. Think I just want to go now - the storms these last couple of weeks might have had something to do with that
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
Feijoas rock the free world! I like that about New Zealand.

I like it when my Thai wife goes through immigration the customs people always tell her, "Welcome home". Those two words can really brighten a dark day, let me tell you.
what on earth are Feijoas??
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Feijoas are beautiful - they look a bit like an elongated non-furry Kiwi fruit and have a very perfumey taste - you can buy feijoa everything in NZ, probably feijoa dog meat too.

Here is my biggest positive about NZ - the fantastic and burgeoning reggae scene. I miss it and some of the bands (Katchafire in particular) so much my heart is aching right now. (In fact, I dreamt about Katchafire last night, I tell not a word of a lie.)

And that was not me being sarcastic.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Stung will become famous soon enough

I love the fresh air, fantastic taste of the food (fresh and in season), boogie boarding, the amazing variety of nationalities (50 different nationalities in son's school), support of new friends, snorkelling (going to Goat Island today), beautiful scenery, fishing (even though I'm useless and still learning), living so close to the sea, big waves, the lemons, feijoas and figs in my garden and the strange call of the tui!

I have jumped off the Sky Tower and walked on a live volcano (White Island).

It's great here!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

what on earth are Feijoas??

Wonderful fruit that you cut in half and eat with a spoon like a kiwifruit. Not hairy. Tastes like "fruit salad". Seasonal in early winter ie. May June. Truly yummy.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:24 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

How do you pronounce "feijoa"?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maz
Fee-jo-a
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Am also married to a kiwi and now living here in Auckland (9 months now) no kiddies, but he has been in the uk for 18 yrs so was desperate to come home finally.

I love driving into the centre of Auckland and seeing the Auckland skyline...tis a wonderful view, even when its raining, it has a certain something about it. Also love the drive back out to west auckland, seeing the waitakere ranges ...awesome view

The view from the sky tower is something else...fabulous

Havent really found anything I dont like except living with my mother in law when we first got here as she has 3 cats and they make me sneeze, so I was a snivelling wreck for 3 weeks....and of course the long haired cat always made a beeline for me...how is it that cats know that you dont like them?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maz
AAAHHH, something wrong with computer, have lost my phonemic table!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.