Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

plane essentials ...

plane essentials ...

Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:39 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of
Default plane essentials ...

Helloooooo
this time next week i'll be making my way down to manchester airport, NZ here i come !! & i am still wondering what to pack in my little plastic 'liquid' bag?? i could easily fill a dozen of these but alas am only permitted the one.
I have a 2 hour stop in Hong Kong. are there shower facilities? etc, is it worth taking little viles of shower gel, shampoo ??????
giving me an idea of what you took will help me narrow my list.....hopefully
thanky you
ceri
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of
Smile Re: plane essentials ...

Originally Posted by ceri75
Helloooooo
this time next week i'll be making my way down to manchester airport, NZ here i come !! & i am still wondering what to pack in my little plastic 'liquid' bag?? i could easily fill a dozen of these but alas am only permitted the one.
I have a 2 hour stop in Hong Kong. are there shower facilities? etc, is it worth taking little viles of shower gel, shampoo ??????
giving me an idea of what you took will help me narrow my list.....hopefully
thanky you
ceri
Hi Ceri, you must be sooooo excited! Travel pack of baby wipes are good for a fresh up. Those deodorant wipes are good too, no need to use your liquid allowance on roll on. Or a cheap face cloth and small bar of soap that can be thrown away after use. We flew into Singapore so don't know about Hong Kong but I'm sure someone on here would know. Good luck! Not long now Carol
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:53 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of
Default Re: plane essentials ...

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
Hi Ceri, you must be sooooo excited! Travel pack of baby wipes are good for a fresh up. Those deodorant wipes are good too, no need to use your liquid allowance on roll on. Or a cheap face cloth and small bar of soap that can be thrown away after use. We flew into Singapore so don't know about Hong Kong but I'm sure someone on here would know. Good luck! Not long now Carol
thats great advice! wipes hadnt even entered my mind.
cheers
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

You can also buy a vitamin e referesh spray from the body shop - thats a great refresher too (you can also buy them in baby wipes), smell lovely too.

Could not have done without them on the way here.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi ceri

from lush you can get shower gel in a bar, so that you dont hve to waste your liquid . they smell lovely, and when finished you can just throw away.

with regards

kirstie
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Start collecting the free sachets of shampoo, moisturiser etc that you can get in women's magazines.

Also I swear by No-Jet Lag tablets and noise-cancelling headphones!!!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:31 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Must be a chick thing...

From a man's point of view...

Him:
Wallet? Check.
Tickets? Check.
Passport? Check.

erm...what else, uh...that's it I s'pose.

Her:
What about the children?

Him:
Who?

Her:
The children...

Him:
Oh, erm...yeah. Kids. Check.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:02 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Must be a chick thing...

From a man's point of view...

Him:
Wallet? Check.
Tickets? Check.
Passport? Check.

erm...what else, uh...that's it I s'pose.

Her:
What about the children?

Him:
Who?

Her:
The children...

Him:
Oh, erm...yeah. Kids. Check.
What?! I do all of that. Tickets & passports - am I meant to delegate that?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 8:56 pm
duckfoot

cheers all my tiny plastic bag is looking more & more like a bin liner!
that doesnt sound so good for me reading it back...hee, i dont quite need that much to get me through 24 hours...honest
happynz, it must be a dream to pack through a mans perspective!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:29 pm

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the link for the lounge/shower facilities at Hong Kong airport.

http://www.plaza-ppl.com/hk_en/index.php

Having just done the trip myself (went back to the UK for a holiday) I have to say that two hours isn't a long time to do that much. Our plane was late departing from Heathrow, due to the queue waiting to take off, so that 'robbed' us of 20 minutes. You need to be back at the gate lounge in Hong Kong 30 minutes before your flight leaves too, so you may find you don't have much time at all for showering and the like.

When you disembark in Hong Kong you will go through security screening again, even if you are only in transit (I saw a couple of people having their duty free liquids taken off them) so I wouldn't waste my money on any purchases before you leave the UK. They don't recheck when you reboard the flight, so buying anything at HK airport is not a problem.

Our flight HK to Auckland left from a different gate to the one we arrived at, so check the boards to ensure you know where you need to be... and allow enough time to get there. It's a big airport and we seemed to walk miles to reach the gate. Got caught out on the trip over and ended up sprinting to catch the flight!

Hong Kong's a good airport to stop over at. It's clean and spacious, there are lots of shops and you can get a decent bite to eat/drink too.

Have a good trip.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:24 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
What?! I do all of that. Tickets & passports - am I meant to delegate that?
C'mon! Give us something to do, otherwise we'll get stroppy.

Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

..ooh.. another suggestion I just thought of.

It's a good idea to have a change of clothes in your hand luggage, just a t-shirt/joggers or something. My OH always does this and I thought it was overkill until the day we were flying back to NZ from UK and the guy sitting next to him tipped an entire glass of apple juice all over him within an hour of take off on the first leg of the flight!! He was quite pleased to be able to change.

On the topic of showers in HK, we did that once and it was lovely but only if you have 3 or 4 hours stop over. Our last journey had about 2 hours between flights and due to delays we only had time to dash to duty free and back in HK airport before we had to be back at the gate! If you do decide to book the shower, if i recall correctly you have to turn up at the shower reception and book a slot even if you've already paid. Do this before you start any duty free shopping in case there's a lot of people waiting for the showers.

Oh and eye drops are handy too
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Dental floss... nothing more annoying than a piece of food lodged between your gnashers for 12 hours...
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:40 pm
duckfoot

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
Here is the link for the lounge/shower facilities at Hong Kong airport.

http://www.plaza-ppl.com/hk_en/index.php

Having just done the trip myself (went back to the UK for a holiday) I have to say that two hours isn't a long time to do that much. Our plane was late departing from Heathrow, due to the queue waiting to take off, so that 'robbed' us of 20 minutes. You need to be back at the gate lounge in Hong Kong 30 minutes before your flight leaves too, so you may find you don't have much time at all for showering and the like.

When you disembark in Hong Kong you will go through security screening again, even if you are only in transit (I saw a couple of people having their duty free liquids taken off them) so I wouldn't waste my money on any purchases before you leave the UK. They don't recheck when you reboard the flight, so buying anything at HK airport is not a problem.

Our flight HK to Auckland left from a different gate to the one we arrived at, so check the boards to ensure you know where you need to be... and allow enough time to get there. It's a big airport and we seemed to walk miles to reach the gate. Got caught out on the trip over and ended up sprinting to catch the flight!

Hong Kong's a good airport to stop over at. It's clean and spacious, there are lots of shops and you can get a decent bite to eat/drink too.

Have a good trip.
thanks , this is really useful
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:43 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

If you are flying with Air New Zealand, my OH was given a mini wash kit when he flew with them last year; toothpaste, toothbrush etc...... saves some space.

Boots do some really good travel size bottles in the Sanctuary range.Some of it comes in sachets too.

HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.