This is the plan

Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:49 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default This is the plan

Ok as soon as the house is sold and its all gone through I am going to come out on my own to look for work. I am going to give myself 4 weeks (please God) to find work and secure a work visa. Then new job permitting I will then return to the UK pack everything up and return again with my wife and 2 children on one way tickets. Then with the work visa we should be ok to enroll the chilblains into a school without paying international student fees.

Feel free to rip this plan apart or offer any other practical advice
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

an irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the roughan irish googly is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: This is the plan

I know how you feel!

It takes great courage to resort to this plan though!

I'm at the emailing phase at the moment to see what jobs are on offer.

I am trying to find work but not many companies are interested in talking to you when you're still on this side!

If I dont get anywhere on this then I may have to do the same!

A friend of mine contacted an agency and they have two opportunities ready for him to discuss!!!!

What line of work are you in?

Where are you heading for?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Rosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really niceRosiebear is just really nice

Lots of folks have done it, and intend to do it. I think the most difficult part at this stage is what you started off with, selling the house! Loads of us seem to be sitting on our hands waiting for that bit. After nearly six months on the market we are about to get our third viewers! We had a job offer etc but had to let people down because we could not sell. I think being there and ready to work will be the only way we will go down that road again.

Take the time you have available to get all your paperwork ratified. Read everything you can on this forum about what legal documents you need. As soon as you look as if you're able to go, get your police checks organised from the UK, medicals you can get once you are in NZ as long as you believe that you will pass them, i.e no medical history that could affect you. There's plenty of information on this forum. Know if you would need to be registered with any kind of board or association, for example if you are a plumber etc. This can really have an effect on when you would be able to work.

Leaving your family behind will be hard, where will they live? Can you afford to do that? I know that we could not afford to send one person on and wait here, can they do without you? Is it beyond your means just to bring everyone out, if all else fails you have experienced it and you can go back home with that experience, maybe try again. Good luck to you and yours, and to all of us trying to sell a delightful residence in a lively area with good schooling....!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

rach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant future

Are you able to go over on a visitors visa then and apply for work visa if you find work? as for the kids they need to have a student visa £80 so that they can attend school (ive been looking at this myself)
rach
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wimpy
Ok as soon as the house is sold and its all gone through I am going to come out on my own to look for work. I am going to give myself 4 weeks (please God) to find work and secure a work visa. Then new job permitting I will then return to the UK pack everything up and return again with my wife and 2 children on one way tickets. Then with the work visa we should be ok to enroll the chilblains into a school without paying international student fees.

Contact companies BEFORE you leave the UK, set up interviews and meetings for when you are there, means you spend less time scratching around calling people and chasing them in your limited time there, get organised before you go, as they say, failing to plan is planning to fail!!

Get your CV up to date and out to them, speak to agencies in the field you work in again before you go, maybe get them to set up some interviews for you, this may be a better way of getting interest than just cold calling from yourself.

What line of work are you in, and where in NZ do you think you would like to live??
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what I did! Sold my house, went travelling for 5 months, arrived in New Zealand in November, applied for jobs, got my offer, came back to UK, sorted out medicals, police report, shipping etc and left for my new life on 1st Feb. Only difference is that I did it on my own - no partner or kids.

My only advice is: Apply for your police reports as soon as practicably possible because they take 40 days and that was my biggest hold up. Once they are through, rest of the paperwork doesn't take long (assuming meds and police report is ok and everything else in order). Police reports have a shelf life of 6 months.

Good luck.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

Good luck Wimpy! I hope things work out ok for you.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:15 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what line of work you're in you may not even need to come over to secure a job - we didn't... husband works in finance industry and he found a few good recruitment agents and kept knocking on their door - the best jobs don't even get advertised they are filled by networking with agents - telephone interviews and internet testing etc . good luck