Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Phone call 'out-of-the-blue'

Phone call 'out-of-the-blue'

Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:17 am
Just Joined

fourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Phone call 'out-of-the-blue'

If you are in a senior position in the construction industry I am not surprised you have been contacted, there is a desperate shortage of all skills but particularly management skills over here. If they really want you and you want to come this puts you in a strong position.
For management level you should get a good salary, for senior management at least $200k, along with this I would expect private health care (although this seems to be subsidized normally), company car, all your removal costs paid, accommodation for first 12 weeks. Be prepared to be surprised at how the construction industry works over here compared to the UK.
How do your children and wife feel about the move? If you have good/excellent schools and live in a good community I would really really consider what NZ has to offer you. Your children are both at key stages in their education and the system is very different over here - what are their plans re uni? Definitely consider a school that does Cambridge, the NCEA is ok for NZ but not really up to scratch against GSCE and 'A' levels. What about your wife? Does she work? I sometimes think it is more of an upheaval for the non-working partner.
As others have said it is expensive living here and there is so little choice. Anything half decent costs $$$$. Renting isn't as easy as looking at all the lovely villas on tradme - housing stock shockingly poor quality and ridiculously overpriced. At our last house I was literally soaking up the condensation every day and having to wipe mould off the walls, all for $800 a week.
Re healthcare - $50 to see the doctor. A&E is free but in my experience if you look like you can pay they try and get you to go to a private clinic. I have used the public hospitals and found them ok, had to wait though as per the NHS. There is no joined up healthcare like the GP - hospital system in the UK.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:56 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Phone call 'out-of-the-blue'

Originally Posted by garethwm
That probably was a private clinic, I presume. To be honest I am not totally sure how A&E works. I think you normally go to one of the private A&E clinics first then they refer you to hospital A&E if serious enough. All I know is that if you are taken to hospital in an ambulance or need a stay in hospital, it is all free, including any surgery. Also, if you attend one of the public hospital clinics through an appointment, like say the eye clinic or oncology clinic or whatever, that is also all free, including xrays. Public Hospitals are like Wellington Hospital, Hutt Hospital, Middlemore etc. If you sprain your wrist or something minor, you would normally go to one of the private clinics where you would pay, unless the clinic decides it is serious enough to send you to hospital, at which point it becomes free. I think thats how it works.
I'm really not sure that is right. We have attended Kenepuru Community Hospital, Porirua, and have had to pay for A&E visits and being sent by the GP and also have had to pay.

Bit of a naf subject for me seeing as our GP has upped their charges to $52 a visit and thats being funded
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

All I know is that if you are taken to hospital in an ambulance ------- it is all free,
Actually I can say from personal experience that is not correct. Maybe something for Wellington but not for here.

The ambulance service here is St Johns. You pay for an ambulance call out. I know that for a certainty. It has been called twice for emergency use.

If you subscribe/donate to St John, then there is no charge.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'm really not sure that is right. We have attended Kenepuru Community Hospital, Porirua, and have had to pay for A&E visits and being sent by the GP and also have had to pay.

Bit of a naf subject for me seeing as our GP has upped their charges to $52 a visit and thats being funded
Maybe its some sort of Wellington Health Board policy for that Hospital? Or maybe its the same at all your A&Es. I dont know. Generally though public hospital treatment is free here, unless you choose to go private and be seen quicker for non urgent things or just prefer to go private.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Phone call 'out-of-the-blue'

Originally Posted by richandsarah3469
What do you think?
It's definitely a warmer, sunnier misery.
Originally Posted by BEVS
It has been called twice for emergency use.
What are the alternatives to emergency use for ambulances? Running an Uber service using emergency vehicles would seem morally questionable but I like your thinking.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:03 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
And we all know that almost every part of Auckland is expensive and these 'moderate' areas are very hard to come by unless of course we're now considering looking at commuting half way to Hamilton.

I can't think of many moderate areas that don't require at least $800k and even those are not the kind of place where migrants from the UK would hope to live. Posh does not equate with expensive either; Torbay is one of the more 'moderate' Northern suburbs has decile 10 schools and requires $1m budget to purchase a family house.

I'd say anywhere with in Auckland with Decile 1 school would be at the extreme end of the poverty scale (Ranui maybe) and therefore a moot point as they would be an absolute no-go zone for a would-be immigrant of any skilled or professional standing.
You don't have to live in a decile 1 or a decile 10 location - my point was there is a choice. Most schools are somewhere inbetween and saying that you have to pay for your child's education is misleading - that was my point. If you can't afford the donations at a decile 10 school you do have other options.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:08 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I take my mum to Middlemore Hospital and the local Browns Road clinic for appointments related to her pacemaker. All these are free, as was her original emergency intake at Auckland where she was for several weeks. There is a local emergency clinic near me which charges fees and I believe they are higher than my doctor who charges $46 for an appointment.

Each region is run by a health board so that explains why they are different. Doctor's fees are different too - I'm not sure how it works but my neighbour goes to a doctor a few miles away from mine and pays around $60. I did some training at one in Manurewa and they charge $30. The surgery was well presented and in a nice area.

The OP can also read up on ACC - it's not something I've ever had to claim for but worth knowing about. Might give some peace of mind.

Last edited by jmh; Feb 24th 2016 at 6:11 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 2:59 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Also, my dad had a stroke in Dec 2014. He was in Middlemore for several weeks, and had physio and OT appointments at home, all of which were free.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is that if you are taken to hospital in an ambulance or need a stay in hospital, it is all free, including any surgery.
Just a note on this
I recently spent 2 weeks in hospital, had several x rays and CT scans and underwent major surgery.
it's all free, the only cost was $80 for the ambulance

Originally Posted by fourseasons
Your children are both at key stages in their education and the system is very different over here - what are their plans re uni? Definitely consider a school that does Cambridge, the NCEA is ok for NZ but not really up to scratch against GSCE and 'A' levels.
My children arrived in NZ aged 17 and 14, both completed their education here, both returned to the UK
and had no problems with gaining uni entrance
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What are the alternatives to emergency use for ambulances? Running an Uber service using emergency vehicles would seem morally questionable but I like your thinking.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

St Johns cost us $60 for a year (family) - given we are 15km from the nearest medics and are heavy users of power tools, small tractors and assorted other finger choppers would be cheap at double the price.

One call out and you have more than recouped your sub, but just view it as one of your many charities. As Heinlein once said 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'. :-)
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington has the only free ambulance service in NZ.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

richandsarah3469 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fourseasons
If you are in a senior position in the construction industry I am not surprised you have been contacted, there is a desperate shortage of all skills but particularly management skills over here. If they really want you and you want to come this puts you in a strong position.
For management level you should get a good salary, for senior management at least $200k, along with this I would expect private health care (although this seems to be subsidized normally), company car, all your removal costs paid, accommodation for first 12 weeks. Be prepared to be surprised at how the construction industry works over here compared to the UK.
How do your children and wife feel about the move? If you have good/excellent schools and live in a good community I would really really consider what NZ has to offer you. Your children are both at key stages in their education and the system is very different over here - what are their plans re uni? Definitely consider a school that does Cambridge, the NCEA is ok for NZ but not really up to scratch against GSCE and 'A' levels. What about your wife? Does she work? I sometimes think it is more of an upheaval for the non-working partner.
As others have said it is expensive living here and there is so little choice. Anything half decent costs $$$$. Renting isn't as easy as looking at all the lovely villas on tradme - housing stock shockingly poor quality and ridiculously overpriced. At our last house I was literally soaking up the condensation every day and having to wipe mould off the walls, all for $800 a week.
Re healthcare - $50 to see the doctor. A&E is free but in my experience if you look like you can pay they try and get you to go to a private clinic. I have used the public hospitals and found them ok, had to wait though as per the NHS. There is no joined up healthcare like the GP - hospital system in the UK.
Fourseasons....many thanks for your response - really helpful.

I am at senior management level, and I do get the impression that there a 'need' for me in NZ (without wanting to sound big-headed). I was hoping that would stand me in a good position to try to negociate a good package - as I see it, I will only get one shot at it!! (Skype call now arranged for next week......)

As my wife is a Secondary School teacher (English) she is accutely aware of the timing of the potential move with regards to the schooling for the children - so she is looking very closely into this at the moment. Believe me..if she isn't 100% convinced then we won't be coming!!

I must admit, the more I read on the forum about the price of goods, housing etc the more doubts come into our heads.

However, one step at a time; and if next weeks interview goes OK and a good offer is forthcoming, then we can consider the next stage with more authority.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richandsarah3469
I must admit, the more I read on the forum about the price of goods, housing etc the more doubts come into our heads.
Its exaggerated. I looked up prices of some items at random of exact same products in both countries and converted the NZ prices to pounds at 0.48. Toyota Yaris (Toyota website) £10995 UK £10171 NZ. IPhone 6S 16GB £539 UK £575 NZ. 55 in Flat full HD Samsung Smart LED TV £960 UK £1050 NZ. Levis 504 jeans £90 UK £67 NZ. Big Mac burger £2.89 UK £2.83 NZ. Cheapest whole chicken £3 UK Tesco £5 NZ Countdown. Beef rump steak £18 per kg UK Tesco £14.40 per kg NZ Countdown.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Its exaggerated. I looked up prices of some items at random of exact same products in both countries and converted the NZ prices to pounds at 0.48. Toyota Yaris (Toyota website) £10995 UK £10171 NZ. IPhone 6S 16GB £539 UK £575 NZ. 55 in Flat full HD Samsung Smart LED TV £960 UK £1050 NZ. Levis 504 jeans £90 UK £67 NZ. Big Mac burger £2.89 UK £2.83 NZ. Cheapest whole chicken £3 UK Tesco £5 NZ Countdown. Beef rump steak £18 per kg UK Tesco £14.40 per kg NZ Countdown.
You would probably find it is lack of choice rather than price that grates. If you are prepared to source your needs on the internet (Amazon, M&S etc) and do a trip offshore every few years to replenish the wardrobe no sweat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.